·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it sounded good. LOL :rockon:

·
Registered
103 Posts
the ad says "precision laser cut," but i have to tell you that nothing about that product looks "precision" to me. it looks like if you reached in there, you'd lose your hand. and it's a stretch to say faster-moving air will keep your intake cool. they seem to be claiming that HP will increase, without an airflow increase, because the air is "swirling." uh, no.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
There are intake manifolds that will swirl the air, so there's at least some validity to that claim. But putting that thing in front of the throttle body does nothing to swirl the air going into the engine. At most it becomes just another obstruction giving you a more restrictive intake.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'm surprised that the auction didn't mention "bombarded ions", "triple-charged air particles", or "the secret that the auto manaufacturers don't want you to know about".

:roll:

Auto manufacturers spend millions of dollars in powertrain research and development, trying to beat other automakers for 1 extra MPG in every engine they produce. So there's not much in the aftermarket that's going to really increase your mileage without some other sacrifice, usually in the form of decreased driveability, reliability, and/or safety.

The "precision laser cut" intake probably produces some really annoying whistling noises, though.

:bill:

·
Registered
103 Posts
how are they able to make those claims, anyway? if i start selling cheese graters as AIR DE-IONIZERS that bolt into air intakes for $50 each, claiming increases of 10MPG, who's to stop me?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey they offer a money back guarenty!! LOL :yahoo:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ah, my first day back to trolling the forum, and I got a few lols.
When you posted the link under "will it really work?" I was like, it's totally going to be one of those Tornado things! (that was another product that did essentially the same thing)
Then I opened the link, and it was! :yahoo:
Anyway, yeah, I've seen people fall for those things, and you know, give somebody their money for it. I thought about seeing if I could sell those people a DVD rewinder. So, at least you were smart enough not to actually buy it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Haha i thought the exact same thing as thescaperoute, I thought it was going to show one of those tornado deals as well. I've seen a few TV shows that tried to see if this type of product really works, and the conclusion of every test I saw says that is actually blocks air from entering the intake and hurts your mpg's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought one of these and it was called the tornado air. Dont buy them popular mechanics tested fuel savers and they are a waste of money. Buy your self some Royal purple oil and a drop in air filter and youll have better results.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Royal Purple makes a decent oil but most of their reputation is based on advertising claims, kind of like the Apple of motor oils. Neither of which is really worth the premium, especially since Royal Purple were recently taken to task over their advertising claims by BP, and Royal Purple could not back up their claims through independent testing. Horsepower, fuel economy, film strength, and increased protection claims were among those debunked. Instead of providing a scientific basis for having made those claims, Royal Purple just went "Oh darn, someone knows," and agreed to pull those claims from advertising.

The best way to save gas is to train your right foot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.