Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I hope I'm not overloading or over-posting my info here. I did get a couple requests to help out w/ audio here so I thought I'd gather up all my CAD models and show them here. The idea is that some of these may work out for members here. Also, most of the models are still in my computer, so we can remodel them for different equipment or ideas as needed. Not all of these are for E/M/T's, since some of the ideas are universal.

Here goes:

This was a plan originally created for a Focus trunk. My design goals were to create a system that allowed a spare tire to fit right in the trunk (the car originally comes with the space but without the actual spare!), and still allow for enough trunk space to fit duffel bags. This was eventually scrapped for an amp rack that was mounted under the factory deck, which left room for a more conventional sub box. Still, this was fun to draw.

This is how you can fit two big bad subs in the recess or a spare tire and wheel. Not the spare tire well mind you...but the wheel itself! Still sits pretty tall though:

Looks like this with a false floor

This uses an older Escape (with the spare tire well) and 4 pancake subs.

This was designed using TangBand pancake subs in an older Escape, but allows for a small space for storage in the middle.

This is the older Escape's spare tire well dimensions (with wheel inside) in case people need it

This is for a tiny standard cab pickup. We ended up building a variant of this box and it turned out amazingly well.

Alternate design, with 6.5" mini-subs. We ended up with 3 in our system, but 4 was the original plan.

That's all I found in my archives.

One thing to keep in mind is that I am happy to create a custom cad sketch for all here, as long as they understand it takes a bit of time to make one! Also, having accurate measurements helps a ton.

Take care!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Fourthmeal, the picture labeled "This was designed using TangBand pancake subs in an older Escape, but allows for a small space for storage in the middle." contains the one you and hyperdave worked on in the other forum (sorry I can't post there after 3 weeks still getting "do not have permission to access the page" error, I've e-mailed several times but no reply) So happy to be in Escape City.

Do you know if hyperdave ever built the setup? I think its a great idea and am considering giving it a try.
Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ever sketch up custom boxes to fit on the sides of thge cargo area over where the wheel wells come up? My buddy that lives in Frackville PA did it in his Blazer.. I'm sure it could be done with an Escape. The overall sound displacement wasn't too bad either. It was a 1x12 custom box on either side.. I believe he was using 2 Infinity Reference 1252s with a boston acoustics amp of some sort.

Anywho.. Just as a second opinion since after having a debate with you before, I do respect your opinion.. What would you think of custom boxes to fit on the sides of thge cargo area over where the wheel wells come up?

I presume you could just cut the wood and material that covers the spare tire. This seems to be the only way to keep the spare in the back with easy access and still have 2 12's back there.. Since I am heart set on having my spare with me under the cargo area. Winters get too rough sometimes to keep the spare under the vehicle. I like having the clearence of the suv.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
those are some pretty good drawings eh

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, I'm just here to help where I can. Good Karma and a lot of fun to see finished builds...and the smiling faces of the new system owners.

Regarding the questions posed to me here:

alwx2 said:
Hi Fourthmeal, the picture labeled "This was designed using TangBand pancake subs in an older Escape, but allows for a small space for storage in the middle." contains the one you and hyperdave worked on in the other forum (sorry I can't post there after 3 weeks still getting "do not have permission to access the page" error, I've e-mailed several times but no reply) So happy to be in Escape City.

Do you know if hypedave ever built the setup? I think its a great idea and am considering giving it a try.
Thanks
Hey, Hypedave and I had a good rapport going for a while, but I think he just stopped posting on this project for some reason. I doubt he built the setup. For that one, I actually created a step-by-step build process regarding how to make it, so there's a great deal more info available for a build like that. It does weigh a lot by my material estimation, primarily because it is ALL wood. Nothing wrong with wood but fiberglass is much lighter when used appropriately. If weight is not a concern, it should be a cool looking, very stealth system with some serious potential while still containing the spare! That's not easy to accomplish with the model year Escape Hypedave has.

There are other ways to do it too, of course. The pancake subs are excellent for their cost, but they aren't the most powerful or cleanest subs out there. Zaphaudio did a review and test on them and came up with "meh" results. Still, they work great if they are used right.

RyanRage said:
Ever sketch up custom boxes to fit on the sides of thge cargo area over where the wheel wells come up? My buddy that lives in Frackville PA did it in his Blazer.. I'm sure it could be done with an Escape. The overall sound displacement wasn't too bad either. It was a 1x12 custom box on either side.. I believe he was using 2 Infinity Reference 1252s with a boston acoustics amp of some sort.

Anywho.. Just as a second opinion since after having a debate with you before, I do respect your opinion.. What would you think of custom boxes to fit on the sides of thge cargo area over where the wheel wells come up?

I presume you could just cut the wood and material that covers the spare tire. This seems to be the only way to keep the spare in the back with easy access and still have 2 12's back there.. Since I am heart set on having my spare with me under the cargo area. Winters get too rough sometimes to keep the spare under the vehicle. I like having the clearance of the suv.
I've not done a sketch with the cargo sides. It is a good idea, but I think I'd rather cut into the panel and fiberglass something special using that as a template. There's space behind there that can be used as well, so cutting into it and building around it(which sucks if you don't order a spare part, so I recommend that!) would give you more space to work with. Keep in mind, MTX already perfected this with their Thunderform box. It is nearly perfect for a box, but the sub could take a walk IMO. Even then, you could buy the Thunderform, sell the sub, buy a sub to fit it even better, and end up pretty far ahead. The plastic they use for those forms is very, very strong and non-resonant.

BTW, A debate to me doesn't mean we don't have to be friends. If anything, it makes my respect for you much stronger because our opinions differ (or we at least see it in a different view from each other)...this is better than not having an opinion to start with, IMO.

Your Escape has the spare tire inside, which is different than the newer ones. Because of that, I definitely agree with you, you need your spare inside. I would probably consider that you look at the Thunderform I mentioned, and try it with the sub included for a while and see if it floats your boat. If it does then you are done and that's that. If not, we could consider using the form w/ another more capable, more powerful sub made for the box size.

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/ma ... ESCP01.pdf

Don't forget, guys...it keeps my sketching skills honed to help design cads for you guys. So, I offer that anytime you want it. I just need pics and measurements of the location and I'll try to do my best.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
buy CAA, or AAA and ditch the spare tire.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Got any crazy ideas for a new spl box for 2 12's for me? lol currently I'm using a crx style box but with a 9" sono (buliders tube) port and a galvanized flare... open to new ideas!!! btw great work!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgive me, I'm not an SPL guy. I don't "get" it.

I love it loud, but the whole thing has to get loud for me, and it has to stay non-fatiguing. There's only so much SPL available at Earth's atmospheric levels and we're almost there.

I definitely like the SWR Alpines, but they are space hogs in a .707 Qtc enclosure. Model them, and see for yourself.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey to each their own right? I understand the whole SPL game might be hard to grasp at first, but building for that 5 second burp is just something else to me.. I mean cut the port, move the box, change the shape... and you completely change the game yet again.... And while we may be reaching higher SPL each day the rules keep changing to make it more of a challenge... for example my class in DB Drag is street stock, so we are only allowed to use 1 15", 2 12"s or 3 10"s .... and they can only be stamped steel basket (less powerful than a cast basket, yet we still give it high wattage...) and you are allowed a max of 2000watts, stock batter location, only 1 wire run of each allowed.... It's alot of work but I really enjoy it... and that's not to say my system does no sound good....

Also I no longer run the Type R, I just have not updated my sig... I run 2 MMATS (forget the model) rated at about 300 watts rms, I power them with 2 Powerbass 1000.1D's and they are in a "crx" style box with a 9" external port, tuned to about 48hz with 1 run of + and - each of 2/odd and I'm at about 144.5db right now.... BUT I would love to one day build an all out SQ car... I was at a comp last week and it was very impressive.

Great work with the sketchup, I've done a bit of modeling for my false floor and whatnot, but your ideas look great!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah but what I'm saying is for a daily driver where you actually listen to music, why in the world would you build it to "burp" a certain frequency?

SQ is for you, SPL is for the crowd and for show.

I could see the point if I had a spare vehicle which I could build up specifically for the job, but for a daily driver you are sacrificing one of the most important aspects of musical reproduction for the sake of a show.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's partly for the show and partly for the challenge to see how far you can take it... Again not to say that YOU have to like it... but it's fun for me, and that is why I do it... Now I can't speak for everyone, but in my case I daily a box tuned for MUSIC, and only 1 12"... sounds beautiful, I still have some small mods to my front stage, it's getting me by... so I daily a more calm system I guess you could say, and I use the SPL set up on weekends at shows... Time and time again I run into your average best buy special on the street annoying neighborhoods... and that frustrates me greatly.... I may be louder then they are, but I would not show it on the street... thats where the fun is on the weekend at shows!

No disrespect to you or the SQ guys, I get bit by that bug sometimes and want to go nuts with a SQ build... but for now I'm having fun with the SPL and testing and tuning....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts