Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know,..I said I was finished making systems for this vehicle but that didn't exactly pan out. Oh well!

Now, its not done yet so forgive the slightly rough finish on some of it.

This is the output that I have in anechoic conditions with my new sub box.


This is the model I made of it. We're looking at a 1.8 cubic foot box (after polyfil adjustment) with a 32hz tune.



Here's a few shots of the box as I made it.



All port ends are rounded off to prevent noise.


And here it is


New amp rack (actually an old rack revamped a bit):



This combination is fun! It is definitely the loudest setup I have put in this vehicle. Sounds positively amazing as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
Are those the Tang Band 6.5" subs? So what made you decide to switch out the BM mkIIIs (or are they still there)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The J said:
Are those the Tang Band 6.5" subs? So what made you decide to switch out the BM mkIIIs (or are they still there)?
Yes they are the TB subs. Tom (one of the guys I built a box for) bought my set of SI's when I was making a box for him. I'm not keeping this truck too much longer so I decided to go above-ground instead of build another false floor sub box just due to the cost of materials. This box was made with wood I had lying around, which worked out nicely.

I will say this for sure... just one or two of these subs tuned right (low) would be excellent for almost everybody out there who wants a small, potent sub option. Having four just, uh... is more fun!

I was actually pushing for 6 to 8 of these suckers (I got plenty), but in the end I decided to keep things relatively sane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here, I had some free time so I created a 2 sub box for the E-C folks.









And if anybody wants to make this one, I have the sketch files to send them.

This one has internal space of 1.02 cubic feet, tuned to 31.5hz, port 21.75 x 1.5 x 6". If you polyfill stuff the box properly, you can consider the tune to be right at 28hz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And here's a single 6.5" sub box for the E-C forum:





This little monster is tuned to 33hz before polyfill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Very nice! But you sold your SI's, and not to me! :cry:

Latest update is "they should be ready for shipping in the first few weeks of next month", so hopefully that will hold true..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is true, I did sell them. It was so tomtcs could get his system installed in time and enjoy it before his long trip he had planned. I knew that he would have a hell of a time if he had to wait forever for the subs, and so I offered mine to be installed and shipped as a complete box (a HEAVY box), for instant installation.

Besides, I was getting bored with them! LOL. No seriously though, they are nice subs and they serve a purpose that few shallow subs can perform. I do really like the mini subs though. Its not just the 4 of them, its the fact they are ported and tuned like they are that makes them so good. Less rattles too,...false floor setups have no choice but to rattle a little bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Cool subs, I saw those when them first went on sale but I didnt have a use for them. Have you tried firing them up toward the roof? Youd get a little more space
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
04txtribute said:
Cool subs, I saw those when them first went on sale but I didnt have a use for them. Have you tried firing them up toward the roof? Youd get a little more space
Yes, I tried. The issues were:

Rear venting behind the sub needs to be .5 - .75".
To construct a top grille above the speakers would mean I need about an 1.25-1.5" more height past the speaker. So the driver is ~4" tall, and you add the other parts and end up right at ~7". I could have made the box .5" shorter than I did. I just liked the "safety" of the 1/4" per side of each woofer, to give a little more strength to the baffle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
fourthmeal said:
04txtribute said:
Cool subs, I saw those when them first went on sale but I didnt have a use for them. Have you tried firing them up toward the roof? Youd get a little more space
Yes, I tried. The issues were:

Rear venting behind the sub needs to be .5 - .75".
To construct a top grille above the speakers would mean I need about an 1.25-1.5" more height past the speaker. So the driver is ~4" tall, and you add the other parts and end up right at ~7". I could have made the box .5" shorter than I did. I just liked the "safety" of the 1/4" per side of each woofer, to give a little more strength to the baffle.
oh no I meant take the box you have and sit it upright and strap it to the seat or seat bolt so it doesnt fall over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
04txtribute said:
fourthmeal said:
04txtribute said:
Cool subs, I saw those when them first went on sale but I didnt have a use for them. Have you tried firing them up toward the roof? Youd get a little more space
Yes, I tried. The issues were:

Rear venting behind the sub needs to be .5 - .75".
To construct a top grille above the speakers would mean I need about an 1.25-1.5" more height past the speaker. So the driver is ~4" tall, and you add the other parts and end up right at ~7". I could have made the box .5" shorter than I did. I just liked the "safety" of the 1/4" per side of each woofer, to give a little more strength to the baffle.
oh no I meant take the box you have and sit it upright and strap it to the seat or seat bolt so it doesnt fall over.
Oh, I guess that's possible. To properly access the power distribution wiring hidden behind the amps, I have to lift the box and flip it up like you are mentioning.

I might keep experimenting with different designs though. This particular one was just a "spare wood" build. The final goal is to complete a durable grille, and install a top board that has some rubber over it so I can place groceries and whatnot on top of the box, no problem. Still experimenting. With only 7.5" lost in height, the trunk still retains lots of usability. About as much as a large hatchback.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top