Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This build started a few months after I threw together the first one (in another thread.) This one is all about false floor strategy. Building a false floor in a Tribute / Escape / Mariner of the '08+ vintage is pretty easy, as long as you don't have the Hybrid model. The "gas guzzlers" have a plastic spacer in place of the battery, and that space is very nice for making the perfect false floor.

This build took me a long, long time. I recall (not so fondly) the smell of curing fiberglass for days at a time. I did it in the winter, which isn't smart when working on fiberglass. Be mindful that Vegas winter isn't nearly as harsh as other places, but it still gets "chilly" at times.

Once the factory spacer came out, I deadened the whole trunk head to toe. I had already deadened the doors and strategic areas beforehand, so at this point the car was "dead" and you could definitely tell a difference.

Here's the buildup...be mindful that I suck sometimes at grabbing the camera and taking shots...primarily because when my hands are covered in sawdust and fiberglass junk, I don't like damaging my expensive camera. So, some things are "skipped" in pictures.

We start w/ a blank slate:

Deadening added (too much, in retrospect), and the beginning of a false floor frame.

Amp rack started.

I suck at fiberglassing cleanly. Gets the job done though.

My hands were dirty most the time here, so all I have are pics of the finished box in place.

This is the solution! A false floor w/ a bit of rise above the subs, and a very slight angle on the amp rack board to look as stealth as possible.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello fourthmeal. WOW! Yes i like the end result. All that effort, shows you have determination and patience. :thumb: Thanks for providing the explanatory photos. :) :shades:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
We handed out awards last year for projects like this!

Nice job!

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really? Damn! Well, I decided to post them up (all three of 'em) for people to gain insight and such, but if you're giving prizes out then that's a bonus.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Damn...... now that's what I'm talking about... IMO, if it aint stealth, it aint safe driving around with it... A couple questions... how necessary is/was it to build the sub box out of fiberglass? I've never worked with fiberglass before ( I've always wanted to learn, but I never have). I am assuming you only fg'ed the sub box. In this particular setup, what kind of volume per sub does your box have? I'm going to be using two JL Audio 10W1's which require only 1cf per sub... thanks for any input and once again, very nice job... I love it.

thanks-epi

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
epi4561 said:
Damn...... now that's what I'm talking about... IMO, if it aint stealth, it aint safe driving around with it... A couple questions... how necessary is/was it to build the sub box out of fiberglass? I've never worked with fiberglass before ( I've always wanted to learn, but I never have). I am assuming you only fg'ed the sub box. In this particular setup, what kind of volume per sub does your box have? I'm going to be using two JL Audio 10W1's which require only 1cf per sub... thanks for any input and once again, very nice job... I love it.

thanks-epi
It was very necessary to build the sub box out of fiberglass because wood takes too much room and will not allow for all the curves of the bottom storage area. Each sub barely had .5 cubic feet per, but that's what they were designed for. Your 10W1's will need a LOT more airspace.

Thanks for the compliments, friend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dangit Bobby....... apparently the "03 model isn't set up that way. It has the spare tire inside the vehicle. So I am either going to just build a sub box/amp rack combo and slap it in under the retractable cargo cover. Or....or, I am contemplating removing the spare tire and use the space from the well to build my box. My only real concern about it is that my Daughter (151/2) has her permit and will be driving soon. And she will be using the Escape. So I don't want her to be without a spare in emergency.. However, I seriously doubt that she will be changing a flat if she gets one. She will most likely be calling me to change it for her anyway.. so.. that's where I am at the moment... Oh by the way, I looked up the specs for my JL 10w1's and I was incorrect, they require .75 cubic ft per sub, not 1 cubic ft.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
epi4561 said:
Dangit Bobby....... apparently the "03 model isn't set up that way. It has the spare tire inside the vehicle. So I am either going to just build a sub box/amp rack combo and slap it in under the retractable cargo cover. Or....or, I am contemplating removing the spare tire and use the space from the well to build my box. My only real concern about it is that my Daughter (151/2) has her permit and will be driving soon. And she will be using the Escape. So I don't want her to be without a spare in emergency.. However, I seriously doubt that she will be changing a flat if she gets one. She will most likely be calling me to change it for her anyway.. so.. that's where I am at the moment... Oh by the way, I looked up the specs for my JL 10w1's and I was incorrect, they require .75 cubic ft per sub, not 1 cubic ft.
If you find my thread that shows 3D graphics of some ideas I've had and developed, you'll find one made for '03 Escapes. It keeps the spare, and builds an easily movable (on hinges!) sub and amp rack that allows full access of the spare. The catch is that you must use very shallow subs. The 10w1's are too deep. Otherwise, it would be easy to build you a system even still. Another solution you might be able to take advantage of is to build a fiberglass tub INTO THE SPARE WHEEL itself, using the spare wheel as the mold. With only one 10W1 in use, I bet you'd be just fine. Try that sometime. Go grab your sub, and try to place it in the spare wheel open area (removing the jack and junk if it is in there, we can place that elsewhere.)

·
Registered
280 Posts
epi4561 said:
Definately post pictures of your progress! :) I've been thinking about trying to get a sub in that tire well, too, while keeping the spare in there. I haven't done much with it yet, though, since my time's been going towards other things (like sound dampening). If I come up with something, I'll be sure to let you know. :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts