Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for new brakes in the front of my 2005 XLT. Does anyone have suggestions on what kind of pads and rotors to buy? Are crossed drilled rotors better?
Don't want to blow the bank as well on these.
Thanks in advanced.

Matt

·
Registered
390 Posts
For my Z, my favorite performance pads that are great for track days and street use, slightly aggressive on rotors, but very clean dust-wise are the Hawk HP+. I use Ford heavy duty truck fluid, comparable to many more expensive racing fluids, but does have a higher hygroscopic rate than regular fluids. I can run dozens of back to back triple digits to 0 stops with incredible force, no fade what so ever. No drilled or slotted rotors either, just really good pads and fluid. I highly recommend their product.

There is a debate on moving from drilled to slotted for performance.

Seriously for the typical speeds and driving habits of an Escape, neither are really needed. I doubt that the degassing issues slots and holes resolve will be encountered. If its just for bling factor then go for it. If you are saving a buck then the stock rotors are fine. As a rule I never turn my rotors as they always seem more prone to "warping". A lot of manufacturers no longer recommend it as well. When I get new pads, I use the same pad compound on slightly worn rotors and they bed in fine. When rotors really get ugly then I pony up for a new set of OEM or comparable. So far I've been happy with the braking of the Escape.

Also, greatly improving just one end of the vehicle, the front for example can screw up the braking bias of an already well designed system. I'd be talking to a good manufacturer for a compatible system front and rear.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I bought EBC rotors and green stuff 6000 series pads which are kevlar based pads. They make almost no dust and im talking hardly anything. and they are super sticky. The rotors are great and are supposed to be better than stock. They also dont rust up like the cheap aftermarket ones.

There is a specific way that they need to be broken in too so read the directions if you get them.
They are the best stopping power I have had in any of my cars.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where does one pick up these rotors and pads? Can I get them here in Canada?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think I bought mine from auto parts warehouse. com, They took a long time to get. over a month they had to order some in from England. but worth the wait

1 - 5 of 5 Posts