Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I don't see a place to introduce myself, so I'll do it quickly in this post. I'm an old guy, married 25 years with an 18 yr old daughter.... Yah she's a hottie, but we aren't here for that :mad: We have two Escapes, my wifes 2002 FWD black 4cyl 5spd and my daughters 2001 XLT loaded with every option. Hey she bought it herself so what can I say. She had two cars before but after finally driving an Escape, she was hooked! Hers has about 105,000 and the wifes has about 80,000. I drive a Dodge Dakota.

I have checked ball joings and tie rod ends on both machines, here are the noises:

Wifes. Last year it started making a rubbery sound when HOT like highway driving when turning the wheel. Back and forth it would sound like rubber twisting or rubbing. This year it now makes it going over bumps. The struts also make a lot of "air" noise when going up and down. No leaks. Before I change struts (I know almost nothing about auto struts) I thought I would question the strut "bearing" or mount. Any thoughts here?

Daughters. Knocks like a banshee. Sounds like the front end is going to come out from underneath it. Really. Small bumps it's bad and big bumps....well you don't want to go over big bumps :bang: It's very "clunky" like ball joints. I was sure this was the problem but they seem tight. Again, no leak on the struts but I just am out of ideas :horse:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
WOW welcome to the board. Hello to the wife and daughter as well. Any who........

The wifes sounds like the A- arms bushings might be going bad or already bad (dry out/ dry rott). If its a squeaky noise best way to put is rubber on rubber. Struts can go bad with out any sign of it. You would have to take them out and find out for sure. Doin the strut change, not too hard. JUst need a spring compressor. It would be about time for them to be changed any ways.

The daughters could be motor mounts, but what are the knocks that your are talking about? Are they engine or ???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A arm bushing would be easy enough to check with the struts off, but would not make noise while turning the steering wheel (I wouldn't think), I would suspect them to knock as well. This is a rubbing sound???

Daughters is definitely not engine related. It's suspension. I was reading somewhere about sway-bar ends going bad?

Thank you for the welcome and help.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I say bushings cause you say now there is a rubbing noise on bumps. Dont necesarrialy need to be knocking cause that would mean the bushing is gone.. On my Ranger I had to change out the A-arms bushings and the symptom was the rubbing noise on bumps and when it was at its worse right before changing it was making noises on turns.They were dried out really bad and some parts there were chunks missing. Changed them out and no more rubbing noise. ON the daughters could be motor mounts or sway bar bushings.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Motor mounts out as In they are bad or not the problem. Does It holdin up now? The daughters Is awd right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes hers is awd and clunky. Prude around the mounts and they look good. On small bumps, like gravel roads, it's a quick "rattle" sound. These are bumps you would not normally feel if it weren't for the noise. I'm at my wits end :shock: . I suppose pull the struts and see if that fixes it. Do the upper strut mount/bearings ever give problems?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the exact same rattling on small bumps. I assumed it was sway bar ends because that is what I read about and I was getting ready to order them. This is interesting that you already changes those and still have it. I am looking forward to hearing a solution.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The noise in your daughter's Escape is from the stabilizer links. Very common. Get the greasable replacements (Moog makes some that are popular). You might have to cut the old ones out depending on how frozen the nuts are.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't change them, they have tags on them and look good. I'll pull the wheels, take them off and drive it without to see. They look brand new, fresh paint and new tags and don't feel any play, but you never know I guess. I will post when I figure something out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE!

Wife's car is definitely struts. You can feel and here it when you push up and down or turn the wheel when hot. Never changed auto struts before but I plan on getting a spring compressor and marking (outlining the strut position) the A-Arm and giving it a whirl. Anything else to look for?

Daughters is control arm (A-Arm) bushing. Specifically the drivers side rear. Rubber is torn and it's out of position. Anybody ever replaced these? I have no idea what I'm in for here but it doesn't look too hard.

Frank

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Right on :yes:

Struts: I think theres a right up around here if not Ill right one up for you But not hard. Take tire off unbolt ABS sensors, unbolt sway bar link, unbolt bottom bolts from the strut, unbolt the 3 smaller bolts from the top of strut from the top of engine bay (NOT THE BIG BOLT!!!!!) Take out strut assembly. Begin using spring compressor and compress alot, unbolt big nut on top remove strut. Make sure you are aware of the disassembly and reassembly of the struts parts (top strut plate and etc) THink that covers it.

Bushings: youll have 2 things, you can bang it out with a chisel and hammer (usually not the case) or you have to torch it out (always the case)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Struts don't sound like much of a problem....cool. Glad you said NOT to take out the center nut as I probably would have :bang:

Maybe I'll just get the entire lower control arm and be done with it. That way everything will be new. That is unless it's stupid expensive :yes: I was able to pry th bushing back into position an it stopped making noise (for a while anyway). I'm glad to know it's nothing major as it was really making horrible noise. In a couple weeks I should have time to get these both done. These really are great little trucks :wave: Neither of my girls could imagine getting rid of theirs!

Thank you so much for your help. I will let you know how everything works out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had to replace the control arm on the daughters. The collar the bushing is pressed into came loose from the arm itself. Quiet as a church mouse now (ok for an Escape anyway) and an amazing difference in the way it drives after this and the alignment :wave:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Right on, :clap: so what else is left?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also have a front end noise on my Tribute. It's an '02 with just under 80K miles on it.

The noise is from the right front side, and I only hear it at low speeds. Usually a creaking sound that seems to be acceleration/deceleration (braking) related. If I slow down on the brakes to a traffic light, when I accelerate from a stop, it creaks for just a second. If I drive slow at parking lot speeds and go on and off the gas, it clunks when I let off and clunks when I put the gas back on. If I jack the car up (as I have many times to try to find the problem), it won't do it for a whole day or so, which makes me wonder if it's the strut. So far I have replaced the lower control arm assembly and tie rod end. I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Oh, and probably a separate issue, but when I drive at 5 mph and crank the steering wheel side to side aggressively, it goes clunk clunk clunk, which makes me think THAT noise is the sway bar link. But a sway bar link wouldn't cause an acceleration/deceleration clunk, would it?

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts