Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i've had this noise for about a month or so now. I use my e-brake often ( like every time I park ) and about a month or so the e-brake light came on and has stayed on. I took my 04 escape in for service and told them about it and they said it was most likely because my fluid level was low. They said they'd top it off and it should go away. It hasn't gone away at all. THe noise isn't always there but is certainly noticable when i drive on highways. Sometimes it isn't there and it seems as if my car drives easier when it's not happening. It is a loud and noticeable noise. It sounds as if it may be some metal on metal grinding or something. I've also notice a small metallic clicking noise when i drive slow and it happens. It seems to only be happening out of the front left side. I'm not sure whether it's related to my brake problem as well. My front left brake has made some noise and fluttered a couple of times while driving slow and turning. It made a pretty loud grinding noise as well. My car has about 89k on it and i haven't ever had the brakes changed ( bought it at 30k) so i'm fairly sure that sooner or later i will need to change the brakes. I'm pretty low on money so i don't want to take it to the dealership for a ridiculous price. I have changed my alternator on my escape before and the transmission fluid. Other then that i haven't worked too much on it. I hope this is enough information to get some help on addressing this issue. I find it a little hard to describe the noise. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
420 Posts
if u can change an alternator and tranny fluid then u oughta b able to change the front brakes. i bet there is a thread somewhere that explains the procedure.... the noise could b a variety of things so its hard to say for sure, if ur lucky it might just need new pads and the rotors resurfaced... i have never changed the brakes on my escape but have changed them on other vehicles... its not too hard

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay so i took a look at my brakes and the back of my front (left) brake is pretty much all gone and it's been digging into the back my rotor. The right side is fine but it looks like i'm going have to get new brake pads and rotors. Any recommendations? Kinda low on money so i'm hoping to get some good quality at a decent price. I saw some duralast rotors and pads at autozone for like 50 bucks each. 3 year warranty. Hopefully it's not too hard to do it yourself. I'm also hoping that there won't be any additional damage to my brake system and that i can get through the week without making anything worse. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've read that the Duralast Gold pads are pretty good. I don't know about the rotors. At the very least, they'd probably be as good as the ones the Escape came with.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have changed my fronts following this procedure here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15

I have changed the brakes on one other car ('92 pontiac) and the procedure was pretty much the same. It is maybe a 6 beer job but if you want you could stretch it out to 12. The hardest part of the job for me was finding the correct size allen wrench (needed a 9mm for my '06 Escape).

·
Registered
420 Posts
RickWakeman said:
I have changed my fronts following this procedure here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15

I have changed the brakes on one other car ('92 pontiac) and the procedure was pretty much the same. It is maybe a 6 beer job but if you want you could stretch it out to 12. The hardest part of the job for me was finding the correct size allen wrench (needed a 9mm for my '06 Escape).
"It is maybe a 6 beer job but if you want you could stretch it out to 12."

NICE! ^^^^ :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay so I replaced my rotors and brake pads. Went with duralast gold pads and rotors but didn't get ceramic pads because i heard that they eat up rotors. Seems to work good but the brakes seemed a little weak when slamming on them at 60 mph but that was right after I put them on. I could push the brake all the way to the floor ( usually could never do that ) but other than that seems fine. Not too bad of a job but unfortunately that is not where that other noise that I spoke of before was coming from my car.

I'm going to try to describe it the best I can. It is both a loud noise and vibration occuring in my front wheels/ drive system. I can feel it in my gas pedal sometimes ( usually not my brake ). Sometimes it will rattle my steering wheel a little bit. The noise only occurs when I'm going above 40 mph and the faster I go the more pronounced the vibration is although sometimes it won't be there at all but most of the time it is. It sounds like a grinding or something. The noise/vibration takes place more prevalently when i'm driving straight and especially when I'm steering right. It goes away completely when I'm steering left ( keep in mind this is when going above 40 mph of course ). I was hoping it was just my brake/rotor problem but it seems unrelated now. However, when I changed my alternator we did take out the right drive axle to get to the alternator. Come to think about it i think this sound occured after that repair but I can't be sure. Also sometimes when I accelerate hard when at a complete stop, the steering wheel tends to turn right? Maybe related maybe not. Just figured i'd let you all know. I'm hoping this problem isn't going to be anything too bad.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Check the half shafts especailly where it meets with the case.

·
Registered
420 Posts
"I could push the brake all the way to the floor ( usually could never do that )"

that doesnt seem right.... u may ned to bleed ur brakes, shouldnt have to when replacing front brakes, but pedal should not go to floor

yeh, the noise and vibration sounds like half shaft or cv joint going bad

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mr hammond said:
"I could push the brake all the way to the floor ( usually could never do that )"

that doesnt seem right.... u may ned to bleed ur brakes, shouldnt have to when replacing front brakes, but pedal should not go to floor
Yeah it had me pretty worried at first. Although i haven't tested it out again but that was at 60mph right after I put the pads and rotors on. Other then that it's working fine but i do think i need to give it another test and see if the problem is still there. Maybe it is/was just air in the system. I need to be sure though because in Vegas, you never know when you will have to slam on your brakes... At slower speeds they seem to be working fine.

If it's my halfshaft/cv joint going bad do you think that'll be covered under my ford warranty ( up to 100k )? Is it possible we just may have not properly installed it back in the case and if so could that really damage it? Or do halfshafts and cv joints usually tend to go bad that quickly? I got about 90k on my car.

·
Registered
420 Posts
bleed your brakes, take to dealer and dont tell them you had the halfshaft out

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got brake fluid changed at pepboys but they still feel a little soft. It could just be my perception. I cannot recall whether i could do that before for certain. Can you guys press your brake all the way to the floor? It's not as if there is no resistance there is certainly a good deal of it but i still can press it down to the floor if i try. Is that normal? Braking seems to be fine and the initial feel of the pedal is what it was before except i'm not sure whether i could do this before the pads and rotor swap.

·
Registered
420 Posts
im in my work truck right now (07 colorado) and just tested...brakes go to floor at idle....not gona try at high speed :lol: try this....with truck off...pump brakes 5 or 6 times and hold...the pedal should be firm and solid...should not go to floor....how bout the halfshaft noise? is that still a problem?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes i did the 5 pump thing and it worked. So i guess my brakes are fine. No progress on the halfshaft noise. I haven't had the chance to take it in yet and probably won't until next sunday. I may just jack it up at a friends house and take another look at it... maybe see if anything is loose or if we missed something during reinstallation. The noise is not consistently there i'd say about half the time i drive it is the other half it isn't.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay so brakes have been good trying to find out what that vibration is and took it to the ford dealership. Apparehently my warranty just expired this past march :wall: . Ford charged me 89 just for a diagnostic and they said it was the wheel bearings and that it would be 750 dollars to fix :bang: . I think it is the half shaft not put in properly and that may have caused the bearings to go bad. Trying to find out specific info on putting the halfshaft in correctly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts