Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 09 Escape. I'm trying to put 2 kayaks on the roof rack. I'm using the hitch as a rear tie down point. But, I don't know where to tie down the kayaks to the front of the Escape. I am trying to avoid having the ropes touch any paint. Is there anyone out there who carries kayaks or something similar on the roof? Where do you tie them down in the front?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
go to the dollar store and buy a bunch of soft sponges. and put them where the straps will rub, and bring extras. works great!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried the sponges. They worked well except they dried out over time and became a little harsh. I protected the paint with a few layers of masking tape just in case. I think I'll look for something better than sponges. But, in the meantime, I'll continue to use them. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
114 Posts
hmm, this looks like something that might be a perfect home project. I bet you could buy or fabricate your own race-car style tow hook that would look really pro and save your paint at the same time. Provided your kayaks stick out far enough up front!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts