Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, My 03 needs some new front wheel bearings and I wanted to find out if this is an easy job to do in the driveway, or if I'm better off going to the dealership to get it done there.

I've seen videos and the job looks fairly easy, but at home here I do not have an impact gun, so this will take a while longer. I would prefer to do this myself, like most other maintenance.

Anyways the new hubs are around 240 for the pair , and the quote for this job at the dealership is $358.61

so, what do you guys think? anyone done this before and have some helpful tips or info?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If your up to it then yes go for it, it is a driveway project. You don't need an impact anything, only makes life a little easier. Only thing I find to be a pain is packing the bearings (with grease). Other than that follow the instructions that you have and do it. After your done that day make sure your hub nut is on tight and cotter pinned and check it ever week for about a month and periodicly through out the year to see if the hib gets loose. And you can do that by visual inspection to see if the camber is off or jacking up the front end and wiggling the wheels to see if there is play

·
Registered
700 Posts
oskerb said:
If your up to it then yes go for it, it is a driveway project.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think my dad needed the press they have at his work to pack the bearings back into the wheel hub. He did this a couple years ago, and I'm just going by memory (which fails me most of the time).

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Correct you can use a bearing press but one usually doesn't have one handy. Like airtools

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to do the whole hub not just replacing the bearings, so technically the bearing packing and pressing is already done.

*and after a second look, I think the quote I got for this at ford only had 1 bearing on it... so double that price... another reason do do it in the driveway.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you have a real good parts store/machine shop it can save you a ton of money on this job. Most often people just buy the hubs already assembled and they install them in the spindle. I assume you checked into these units and that is how you came up with $240.

I recently did these on a probe and my local shop let me in on a little secret. If the hub unit is not damaged you can just replace the bearing. For the probe the assembly was @ $125. I bought just the bearing for $23 and paid $20 to have the new bearing pressed onto the hub assembly. So a grand total of $86 and a few hours in my driveway and you can hear yourself think in the car again.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick replies everyone

TopElimn8r said:
If the hub unit is not damaged you can just replace the bearing. For the probe the assembly was @ $125. I bought just the bearing for $23 and paid $20 to have the new bearing pressed onto the hub assembly
I thought about this, definitely saves a lot of money, but at the same time, I dont know where i could take the bearing to get pressed, and it might just be a better idea just replacing the whole thing, less to break later on...

Im not sure what to look for in determining whether the hub itself is bad or not anyway...

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't have a big enough place to work so I had a local garage install a couple of front bearings I bought from Rock Auto. The ones that come out were beat up and almost dry. Left one was the worst. I believe ford got a bad batch of bearings and wouldn't recall the vehicles to replace them. Bought SKF brand - no idea what Ford installed. I contacted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and reported the problem. If everyone who experienced premature bearing failure maybe the Fed will force Ford to replace them at their expense. My bearings lasted less than 60K miles! Previous FWD vehicles I owned lasted 3 times longer. When I lived in PA they only lasted about 110K due to the potholes and poor weather.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
kind of a noob question, but I've never replaced a bearing myself. When they go bad do you feel it and hear it? Ive heard people saying you can hear them, like a constant (while driving) noise..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hah, yeah, this is a fairly old thread, I ended up going to the dealership to get it done there, about 2 or 3 weeks ago...

But as for the noise, its like a humming tire sound, not constant but like pulsing, My tie rods were also bad, so maybe that noise was mostly from those...

If you want to check if your bearings are bad, jack the truck up, and wiggle the wheel back and forth (top to bottom) and to check tie rods, do the same, only left and right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts