Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Escape XLS 2.0L I-4 w 5-spd manual transmission.

The Escape 2.0L 4-cyl does not have a schrader valve on the fuel rail for checking the fuel pressure. I'd like to go ahead & install one as a permanent fixture if possible. Does anyone know of something nifty to use or a neato way to install one?

I haven't look into fittings or anything yet. The fuel line is routed close to & above the EGR valve & DPFE sensor, and it seems like there isn't a whole lot of room to work with where the fuel line connects to the fuel rail. I'm probably going to have to simply install a schrader-valve tee-fitting, splicing it into the rubber fuel hose. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears. Many thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The engines are equipped with sequential multiport fuel injection that is supplied by a new returnless fuel delivery system (RFS). The powertrain control module (PCM) is able to maintain constant fuel pressure by varying fuel pump module (FPM) output. This is accomplished by increasing or decreasing voltage supplied to the tank mounted FPM. The RFS offers improved economy, lower fuel temperature, and decreased fuel vapor in the tank.

Splicing in a schrader valve is not the wisest solution.Over time the clamps you would install would loosen up and create a fire hazard.For the amount of times that you would be checking fuel pressure,it isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was kinda thinking that if I had to splice in a tee, then I would do it as a test tool & not as a permanent installation, installing the tee & extra fuel hose in place of the stock rubber fuel hose section. Then returning it to the stock setup when done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hurk wrote:
I was kinda thinking that if I had to splice in a tee, then I would do it as a test tool & not as a permanent installation, installing the tee & extra fuel hose in place of the stock rubber fuel hose section. Then returning it to the stock setup when done.
Sorry for asking this stupid question. I just don't know what is a tee? Where can we find or locate this part? Thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
A Tee is a fitting that's shaped like the letter T. Two of the ends are connected to a line (the fuel line in this case) & the third end is connected to a third line or accessory (such as the fuel pressure gauge in this case). There's actually a fuel line T fitting setup that can be purchased from the auto parts store or on-line that's made to fit Fords, so it's kinda plug n play. Also, some fuel pressure gauge kits come with various fittings for connecting to your car.

See reply by css4608 in the following topic....
Checking Fuel pressure
Star Products
STR 74484
5/16in Quick Disconnect Hose Assy w/Q. C. Plug: Chrysler/Ford
http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usatool ... 74484.html

·
Registered
758 Posts
One can purchase a scanguage II (scanguage.com) and read fuel pressure without cutting into any fuel line or return line. My 2005 Hybrid keeps the fuel pressure between 39 and 42-when the ICE is on!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nice tool, but I think an accurate gauge attached in-line, after the regulator, would still give the most accurate reading when you want to know the actual pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts