Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the price of gas being the highest I can remember (This afternoon I paid $3.939 for regular Exxon gas.), what are you getting for mileage on your Escape, Mariner, Tribby, Maverick.

For this tank, I was running the A/C and still traveled 246.6 miles on 13.265 gallons, which still works out to 18.6 mpg.

For a 4 wheel drive vehicle with the V-6 and 4 speed automatic, that isn't bad mileage. :rant:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Even with 100% city driving, I'm averaging around 16mpg. I'm gunna try out my 93 octane tune and see what kinda mileage I come up with.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
My last few fillups have been between 14 and 16 mpg depending on how much highway driving I do. Usually I'm around 90% city driving

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Last tank I got just over 400 miles.

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
I still get about 20mpg combined city/hwy.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Does anything know or speculate, would I get improved gas mileage if I switch to the 93 octane x-cal tune?? And if there was better mileage, would it be enough to offset the higher price of it?

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Last few tanks I've been averaging 24.8 miles per gallon. All country roads / city driving. :yahoo: :thumb: :)P

·
Registered
72 Posts
lilshimy36 said:
Does anything know or speculate, would I get improved gas mileage if I switch to the 93 octane x-cal tune?? And if there was better mileage, would it be enough to offset the higher price of it?
I'm always willing to speculate... :lol: I don't know a lot about what the x-cal is capable of, but my engineering background leads me to believe that it wouldn't be worth it. In order to really take advantage of the higher octane fuel, you would need a higher compression ratio.

You might be able to get some more power out of it, and maybe a little bit better mileage, but I don't think it would make up for the extra cost of the fuel. I wouldn't discourage you from trying it though, maybe I'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
More power and better MPG is a tough combo to achieve. Adjusting shift points and driving habits might help out to some degree.
A higher octane mix may reap a slight advantage, but I wouldn't think enough to offset the extra cost at the pump. Try it and let us know. Are you figuring in the cost of the xcal as well? I had my Mustang adjusted that way, the boost was neck snapping, but I saw a lack in economy because I drove it like I stole it. :shock:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I never heard of an performance tune improving fuel mileage. Usually the opposite effect. :shrug:

Years ago I rebuilt a 390 cu in V-8 in a F-100. I added a economizer intake and four barrel carb. It went from 15 mpg to 16 mpg. That's not exactly a worthwhile investment. :doh:

I can achieve that much improvement on my current F-150 with a six by allowing the auto trans to shift early and driving slowly (under 70 mph) like and old man. Then again, I am an old man. :hyst:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
MadMax said:
I still get about 20mpg combined city/hwy.
escape08xlt said:
Last few tanks I've been averaging 24.8 miles per gallon. All country roads / city driving. :yahoo: :thumb: :)P
What are y'all doing to get in the 20s? Dang, escape08! Pretty awesome! I get close to 19 mpg w/mostly city driving.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Well Hi There Dasha :hi:

I am actually quite shocked at the mileage that I am getting. It is doing better than what the sticker said. I usually try to go no more than 5 miles over the speed limit ( two young drivers on our policy and insurance is already through the roof) . I don't kick it unless I have to. I coast whenever possible. Keep a check on your tire pressure ( or get your hubby to, that's what I do ;) ).

A biggie is that there is a huge difference in our driving conditions. You are driving mostly city, probably some bumper to bumper ? I am doing mostly country. You could very well miss the city of York if you were to blink. I go to Rock Hill about once a week, but Rock Hill could not even begin to compare to Austin, Texas :lol: . Charlotte, NC is about a half hour drive, but I do not go there often. At most, once a month.

Another big difference is climate. It is already hotter than hell in Austin, Texas. Our high for the day was 76. Therefore, I have not had to use my AC much, yet. Been using the moonroof, or running the air on low. You probably could not survive without your AC. I will see some mileage drop once I start using the AC more.

Well, that's about all that I can come up with. I hope that you are doing well !!! :yes:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Hey there, C!!
I'm doing well! 4 day weekend! Woohoo!!! :yahoo: Hope you are doing well yourself!
Thanks so much for your reply!!! You are correct on every count!! I feel better now. :)

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Dasha said:
Hey there, C!!
I'm doing well! 4 day weekend! Woohoo!!! :yahoo: Hope you are doing well yourself!
Thanks so much for your reply!!! You are correct on every count!! I feel better now. :)
Very happy for you on the four day weekend !!! :yes: So when is school out for summer ?

·
Registered
321 Posts
weebee said:
More power and better MPG is a tough combo to achieve. Adjusting shift points and driving habits might help out to some degree.
A higher octane mix may reap a slight advantage, but I wouldn't think enough to offset the extra cost at the pump. Try it and let us know. Are you figuring in the cost of the xcal as well? I had my Mustang adjusted that way, the boost was neck snapping, but I saw a lack in economy because I drove it like I stole it. :shock:
I mean I wasn't saying I wanted to try out the 93 octane performance tune so that I can drive like a maniac, but rather so I can continue to drive normally and see if it benefits. This past tank I drove quite fast with a lot more 3000rpm acceleration (I did this purposely) to see how much my economy decreased.. or increased maybe?? lol ;) I'll be sure to let everyone know.. I'm just scared to fill up my tank at $4.30 a gallon. :worry:

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
I'd be interested to know the results as well. Keep us posted. I understood what you were saying.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not sure you will get the results you are hoping for with the 93 octane chip program. What the higher octane rating means that it is more resistant to detonation or pre-ignition.

I hope it increases your mileage to a degree where it justifies the added expense of premium gas.

I don't have an X-Cal but if you want to change back to the 87 octane chip program can you.

:worry:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
cbramsey said:
I am not sure you will get the results you are hoping for with the 93 octane chip program. What the higher octane rating means that it is more resistant to detonation or pre-ignition.

I hope it increases your mileage to a degree where it justifies the added expense of premium gas.

I don't have an X-Cal but if you want to change back to the 87 octane chip program can you.

:worry:
In our "untuned" Escape engines, the 93 octane will do nothing but prevent detonation like you said. The theory of the 93 octane tune is that the engine will run more efficiently, creating more power so you use less rpms to get to your designated speeds, thereby saving gas. I've heard before, in our past life/website, people reporting a few mpg increase running the 93 tune. Make sure you calculate if the increase in mileage is worth more than the price difference of the premium. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'll be sure to stay posted. And by the way, people have said on here that there's a small quantity of gas that resides in the bottom of our tanks that can't be used, will mixing this with the 93 octane gas cause the octane rating to go down?? (since you can seriously mess up these engines if you run 87 octane when on the 93 octane tune)

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I've heard that too, they say don't let your tank get down to fumes because you're sucking all the sediment off the bottom of the tank that way. If I were you, I'd let it get pretty low though before you fill it with 93, then switch the tune over. Not sure if there's anything you can add to help the old fuel (octane booster, stabilizer, etc).

Note: My owners manual says I have a 16.4 gal tank, and the low fuel light always comes on around 13.5 gal and I never put in more than 14.5, so that should solve the sediment problem...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts