Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XLS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas tank started leaking yesterday as I drove away from the train station. Noticed the smell and warning light was on with only 113 miles on the odometer so I put a few gallons in and drove 4 miles home. I cant spot the source of the leak, it seems to be pooling up and coming out through the vent hole in the shield/cover. I stuck my finger up there and couldn't find any hole, the fuel seemed to be pooling nearby and spilling out this vent.
Local shop today said $1900 for new tank, pump and filter. Ouch!
Anyone here replaced a tank? Local pick-a-part has a 2008 like mine although condition unknown. The vapor recovery tanks are a little more expensive, anyone have a source?

Images below looking from underneath driver side toward passenger. This was parked, engine off and key out.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Water Fluid Liquid Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
211 Posts
Can you take out the gas tank and observe where the hole is? It can be easily welded by a metal patch by your local body shop. Cost depending on the hole. I would say $200 max for the repair.

·
Administrator
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
20,746 Posts
I think @SCOOTER 's plan is a viable option for you. One thing to keep in mind that the tank needs to be flushed thoroughly prior to the weld repair. Fuel vapors are even more dangerous than liquid gasoline.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
That hole right in the middle of the picture appears to be a non-factory opening, added by someone who was trying to get the fuel without using the pump. Parked vehicles are a good target given the drivers have left on the train and likely won't be back soon.
I would look for a used tank. I doubt any welder will entertain the idea of welding a used tank. Problem is that most boneyards poke a hole in the tank to drain the fuel and avoid any potential drainage of fuel onto the ground. Thus the lack of used tanks at the u-do-it yards. Other, non-self-serve yards may have intact tanks. Some have used epoxy and patches, and 'filled epoxy' to close small leaks. Patching on a tank that is no longer available is not uncommon. I think there are custom products available for repairing punctured fuel tanks.
There are 'generic' tanks available used to replace NLA tanks, that may be adapted for use. I have not searched.
Whatever you do, do not park in an enclosed area. Unless you can stop the leak temporarily, you will have danger of flame as long as fuel is leaking. Enclosed areas can allow a flammable mixture of fuel and air, open areas will tend to dissipate the vapors. A breeze or fan blowing away the vapor and diluting is a good preventive.
tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts