Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if a full size spare will fit under? Would like to use a full size rather than a mini.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i think a full size spare was a fleet option for the 08/09.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great; that's a start. I had it up on the lift yesterday and it certainly looks like there is room. Next time I'm not so lazy I'll pull a wheel off and see if it fits up there for sure.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It was on option for std escapes, at least on the build my ford pages, like $200 if I recall; but it's not an option on the Hybrid's :cry: I wish it was, bucause to buy a wheel & tire seperatly it seems they were $300+, afraid to go used as not sure if the wheel would be 'true'

And think, if you get a flat, put the spare on, where's the full size tire gonna go? On the roof?!?! :lol: So it's gotta fit!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Believe it or not full size spares don't fit in spaces all the time. The 03/04's cobras def. don't! On the build your ford for 09 it was not an option.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is option 51A 16" full sized non matching spare wheel (FLEET)

The only reason i found it is because when I ordered mine I was able to sit at the dealer while they were using their computer to order my Mariner. They were having a hard time figuring out how to order solid leather seats vs the alcantera inserts. I believe the spare was around $100 bucks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nutty 50 said:
Believe it or not full size spares don't fit in spaces all the time. The 03/04's cobras def. don't! On the build your ford for 09 it was not an option.
A full size spare may not be an option, or for cosmetic reasons may not fit in all vehicles, such as the trunk of a car, it would "eat" up cargo room. But a full size tire/wheel must fit, atleast somewhere, otherwise the side of the road would be littered with tons of flat tires!!! :lol:

For the FEH the battery pack I believe sits a tad lower than a std escape, therefore a full size spare might be visable from behind. It also may not be an option for the minisule difference in weight, weight hurts FE, or the added drag from it hanging low.

As for the OP, it was an option for some years, and it must fit, just wish one could get an aftermarket for the option price!

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I bet the factory option gave you black steel wheels. $50 for a steel wheel ($25 from a junkyard) + $50 for a used tire = Profit!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Squishy said:
I bet the factory option gave you black steel wheels. $50 for a steel wheel ($25 from a junkyard) + $50 for a used tire = Profit!
I was pretty sure the factory spare would have been steel too. I thought about getting it, then remounting the tire on a matching wheel I can get off of ebay for 75, but 75 + 100 was so close in price to just getting the ebay wheel and a new tire mounted, that i didnt think it was worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts