Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:

I currently own a 2009 Black XLT and am looking to add some mods to it.

I currently have swapped out my chrome grill for a black grill (posted pics before). I am looking to add some HID lights to my escape, but am not sure which brand and type of bulb is the best and legal. I am also not too handy, so I was wondering what would be the best place to get them installed?

I also might paint my wheels black, thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Advice - dont paint wheels black. It might be too much black.

As for HID get a bixenon kit (can go high beam and low beam) also make sure the bulbs are phillips or sylvania (osram)

Best for light output is 4300k colour tempurature (white)
5000k will have a blue hint to it (still nice white with small tint of blue)
6000k would be the highest to go (white with slight purple tint)

Any higher has terrible light output and will look like a coloured light.

Install is very simple for these kits - 30min is probably all you need and a simple socket set. Expect to pay in the $200 range for a decent retrofit kit - also expect to adjust your headlights to aim lower after install (very easy and it shows in your user manual for the escape)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JEFFOS69 said:
Advice - dont paint wheels black. It might be too much black.

As for HID get a bixenon kit (can go high beam and low beam) also make sure the bulbs are phillips or sylvania (osram)

Best for light output is 4300k colour tempurature (white)
5000k will have a blue hint to it (still nice white with small tint of blue)
6000k would be the highest to go (white with slight purple tint)

Any higher has terrible light output and will look like a coloured light.

Install is very simple for these kits - 30min is probably all you need and a simple socket set. Expect to pay in the $200 range for a decent retrofit kit - also expect to adjust your headlights to aim lower after install (very easy and it shows in your user manual for the escape)
Thanks for the advice, I think I am going to keep my wheels stock for now and give them a tire shine every now and then!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I am currently awaiting on a 2010 Black Escape limited. I really like the Escape Sport, but the interior goodies are not available with it. My only choice is to make the outside look like the sport. I will still have the rack on top but I am going to have my grille painted black and put on Black rims with a little chrome on them. Also the chrome piece on the tail will be painted black. I will also debadge the first night I get it.I can't wait . They told me 4-6 weeks . The 4 weeks was up last Friday and no they say the 27th of April, give or take a week.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,656 Posts
lefty53 said:
I am currently awaiting on a 2010 Black Escape limited. I really like the Escape Sport, but the interior goodies are not available with it. My only choice is to make the outside look like the sport. I will still have the rack on top but I am going to have my grille painted black and put on Black rims with a little chrome on them. Also the chrome piece on the tail will be painted black. I will also debadge the first night I get it.I can't wait . They told me 4-6 weeks . The 4 weeks was up last Friday and no they say the 27th of April, give or take a week.
I wouldn't paint chrome. You can probably find an XLT/XLS Escape junked and use those trim pieces and paint them black.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
JEFFOS69 said:
Advice - dont paint wheels black. It might be too much black.
Is there such a thing as too much black? :)



BTW, I'd love to upgrade my stock fog light bulbs to some much brighter (white) ones. Any suggestions? I saw in another thread that the correct bulb size is 5202 so I went online to a couple of auto parts stores but all I saw was sizes like 9006 etc, or H4, H11 etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Never too much black
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
nomad60 said:
BTW, I'd love to upgrade my stock fog light bulbs to some much brighter (white) ones. Any suggestions? I saw in another thread that the correct bulb size is 5202 so I went online to a couple of auto parts stores but all I saw was sizes like 9006 etc, or H4, H11 etc.
Mine are from Putco. 9009/H16/5202. They are awesome and easy to install. More info: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5497
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
sinister mob said:
Mine are from Putco. 9009/H16/5202. They are awesome and easy to install. More info: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5497
Just ordered a set, thanks for the reply and the PM!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Ok Noobish question here....

Whats the difference between a set of Silverstars(Just using as an example) rated at 4300k and a set of HID's rated at 4300k?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,656 Posts
Katscan said:
Ok Noobish question here....

Whats the difference between a set of Silverstars(Just using as an example) rated at 4300k and a set of HID's rated at 4300k?
For basics: silverstars are halogen bulbs, meaning they are just a little different than the ones that manufacturers put into the cars as they leave the factory if the cars are equipped with halogen bulbs. HIDs are completely different: they use less energy but discharge more light, require some additional equipment (depending on the application) and the bulb structure is completely different. Also, you usually see reflector headlight assemblies (think the Escape since 2001) with halogen bulbs and projector assemblies (think the new Fusion) with HID bulbs. It's not rare to see a halogen bulb in a reflector assembly or an HID bulb in a reflector assembly though.

When it comes to numbers, though, 4300K is just a reference to what color to expect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
So that begs to question....why would I want to go with an HID kit vs just installing Silverstars? Ive always upgraded my lights to Silverstars as I like the amount of light they produce and the clear white light. Ive been milling about the idea of getting a kit but not sure if that is the route I want to go.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,656 Posts
Katscan said:
So that begs to question....why would I want to go with an HID kit vs just installing Silverstars? Ive always upgraded my lights to Silverstars as I like the amount of light they produce and the clear white light. Ive been milling about the idea of getting a kit but not sure if that is the route I want to go.
Katscan, I am in the same boat too. I installed Silverstar Ultras in my ride, and I really like the way they look on the road and off reflections from the numerous glass buildings around town. HID would provide more light. The only thing with Silverstars is that in a dual-filament setting (H13), they aren't as 'white' as single-filament Silverstars (9006/9005). My (ex-)girlfriend's Malibu uses 9006 and 9005 bulbs... when Silverstars were installed, there was an immediate difference ... much more so in my opinion than the H13 standard vs. Silverstar. The way HID looks is up to the owner... I might even wait until the Silverstars burn out, if they do. In the Malibu, the 9006s were shot in eight months because Chevrolet uses daytime running lights, which eat away at the life of the bulbs like nothing else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
i would also put hid retrofit on my ride too but, i heard that some functions will stop working after upgrade like daytime running light or high beam or even lamp out warning in the dash even when light are fine...and maybe problems with the fog lights....

so is there a kit that will fit EXACTLY as if i got halogen bulbs in there???

if someone got a perfect hid kit that fit perfectly without any problems, just tell us...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
sinister mob said:
Mine are from Putco. 9009/H16/5202. They are awesome and easy to install. More info: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5497
I just put these in my Escape, nice! Big difference from the yellowish factory ones...well, at least in our underground parking garage. We get some pretty thick fog here and I do a lot of early morning bass fishing before work so I'll get to see how big of a difference these make real soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Katscan said:
So that begs to question....why would I want to go with an HID kit vs just installing Silverstars? Ive always upgraded my lights to Silverstars as I like the amount of light they produce and the clear white light. Ive been milling about the idea of getting a kit but not sure if that is the route I want to go.
The Silverstars actually produce less light than an equivalent stock bulb. They are coated and that coating changes the color of the light, but light output is actually diminished.

The HID modification is illegal in most, if not all, states and with good reason. If the reflector and lense of the housing are designed for halogen bulbs, installing a HID bulb can have several unintended and negative consequences. Glare to oncoming drivers is only one of those consequences, but it is a particularly annoying and dangerous one.

I recommend you go to Daniel Stern's website and read everything you can before you spend your money. Stern is a well known automotive lighting engineer/expert. This is what he has to say about the HID conversion:

"Thinking of converting to HID?

So you've read about HID headlamps and have it in mind to convert your car. A few mouse clicks on the web, and you've found a couple of outfits offering to sell you a "conversion" that will fit any car with a given type of halogen bulb. STOP! Put away that credit card.

An "HID kit" consists of HID ballasts and bulbs for retrofitting into a halogen headlamp. Kits for replacement of standard round or rectangular sealed-beam headlamps usually include a poor-quality replaceable-bulb headlight lens-reflector unit that's not safe or legal even when equipped with the intended (usually H4) halogen bulb. Often, these products are advertised using the name of a reputable lighting company ("Real Philips kit! Real Osram kit! Real Hella kit!") to try to give the potential buyer the illusion of legitimacy. On rare occasion, some of the components in these kits did start out as legitimate HID headlight bulbs made by reputable companies, but they are modified (hacked) by the "HID kit" suppliers, and they aren't being put to their designed or intended use. Reputable companies like Philips, Osram, Hella, etc. never endorse this kind of hacked usage of their products. Nevertheless, it's easy to get "HID kits" from China bearing the (unauthorised, counterfeit) brands of major, reputable companies. See this page for just a few examples of the many packaging options offered by just one Chinese maker of "HID kits".

Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective-not to mention legal-beam pattern. How come? Because of the very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc. It's crescent-shaped because as it passes through the space between the two electrodes, its heat causes it to try to rise. The space immediately surrounding the crescent of light glows in layers...the closer to the crescent of light, the brighter the glow. The ends of the arc crescent are the brightest points, and immediately beyond these points is completely dark, so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is at the ends of the crescent of light.

This diagram shows the very different characteristics of the filament vs. the arc:

When designing the optics (lens and/or reflector) for a lamp, the characteristics of the light source are the driving factor around which everything else must be engineered. If you go and change the light source, you've done the equivalent of putting on somebody else's eyeglasses: You can probably make them fit on your face OK, but you won't see properly."

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Go here to read about the "superwhite" bulbs.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

If you google Silverstars and start reading, you will find many articles dealing with the "Silverstar myth" IIRC, BMW CCA did a pretty extensive test.

If you are interested in upgrading your lighting and want to do it safely, legally and reasonably (priced), email Stern. Tell him about your vehicle, the conditions you drive in and what you are trying to accomplish. He will personally respond very quickly and give you appropriate suggestions that will cost less than an HID kit and even less than the Silverstars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Thanks for the article, it was a good read! Ive gotten silver stars in the past and I liked the light it produced and to me it was better than the OEM bulbs. Well I still dont think Ill get HID's, esp after reading that article. However I do want to order better bulbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I installed NOTTO SE HID kit this week. I got it from Carid.com.
Bi-xenon 10000K, They are of a very bright white with a hint of blue.

The installation was very easy. I did need more tie warp (or zip tie) than provided but that's a small detail.

What a difference from Halogen.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top