Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So another OT subject I could use some help with.

MY garage door opener started reversing at abour 1' to go lately. I just assumed it was the temp changes, adjusted the travel & pressure settings, and it worked... for a week. Then started doing it again. so I started investigating the door. unlatched it from the opener and it moves freely, until about 1' from close. The 2nd from the top panel as it goes verticle starts rubbing the door frame on one side. Of course it's not the adjustable top panel, that would make life to easy right?!
From what I can see, the roller track is all ready adjusted as far back from the frame as possible.
Am I missing some other simple adjustment? Could that 1 roller be bent so it forces that panel to tight?
Does any of this make sence?

Guess pics might help? if so I'll get some posted.

TIA again guys!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I'd offer a suggestion, but am wrestling with similar problems. My doors are old and creaky, the house shifts with temperature and moisture changes. So, I adjusted them to be loose and rattly so that they operate all the time.

I am going to get some new doors installed this winter or spring. Depending on the household budget.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Got a new door last year. My old one opened and closed perfectly but the panels were falling apart. I have an issue opening the new door. I have to pull straight up or it jams. From what I've seen, there it too much play in the wheels at the top. I need to put a spacer between the wheel and the panel. I just need to figure out how to do that. Could you be having a similar issue?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Have you checked the settings on the motor? Mine was closing then reopening as it hit the ground. I had to adjust the height through the motor adjustments. Usually there are 2 settings - high and low to adjust when the mechanism hits the "step" signal. Check that out.

I also had an issue with the drive gear on one unit (2 car garage). The chain drive gear assembly wore out and that thing started to go which resulted in issues closing the door. I purchased a new gear assembly for $30 and it was fixed in 5 minutes.

Could also be a track issue. Mismatched spring rates on the springs may cause one side to pull. Check those. Good luck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sinister mob said:
Have you checked the settings on the motor? Mine was closing then reopening as it hit the ground. I had to adjust the height through the motor adjustments. Usually there are 2 settings - high and low to adjust when the mechanism hits the "step" signal. Check that out.

I also had an issue with the drive gear on one unit (2 car garage). The chain drive gear assembly wore out and that thing started to go which resulted in issues closing the door. I purchased a new gear assembly for $30 and it was fixed in 5 minutes.

Could also be a track issue. Mismatched spring rates on the springs may cause one side to pull. Check those. Good luck.
Thanks for all the tips.

It's not the opener adjustments, I did that last week, just noticed it was closing to much/far; so I adjusted the travel back a bit. I can adjust the down force high enough that it'll close. It's just that one panel rubs the door opening after it travels the curve from horizintal to verticle and just on one side. All the other panels on the same side have the proper clearance all the way to the bottom.
ie close your car door = all other panels , now push on the door even more = the next to top panel.
I think it's been this way since day 1, but never owning a garage before I just assumed it was that way to keep from slamming shut (before the opener was installed), requiring more forece to close the last foot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts