Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you all doing with your garage door openers besides the visors? I've got mine stashed up in the sunglass holder above the mirror, but I don't like going in and out of there every time. I know the 01-04 escapes had a special garage door spot specifically made where you had to get creative with velcro and a post...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
Mine is Velcroed to the bottom left of the black instrument cluster surround.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,648 Posts
description doesn't work...give me a picture squishy :bill:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'm opposed to it out in the open, but I am thinking maybe leaving it up there. The "sunglass holder" is too small for my shades anyways... I'd like to tap into the switch on the opener and find a nice small thin pushbutton switch. If I wire it correctly I can install the switch on the back of the mirror (I already have the factory cable management coming down for Mirror power and SAT receiver and Radar) that way it's out of sight in the cab.

I installed a 12" sub into my old 97 saturn a few years ago, and the sub didn't come with any type of remote rheostat where i could turn it down. The saturn was so basic, it only had rear defrost. I got a hold of another button that was a blank in my car and wired it to that, so it was a power switch. If I had someone in the car that still wanted to keep their hearing, I would turn it off from there, it worked really well for me. I don't want to have to run wire down from the ceiling to the console either, it was Pain enough to carefully tuck when I installed my radar.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
My 2007 Edge didn't have HomeLink, even as an option, so I keep the now-tiny Genie Excelerator remote inside the center console tray.

We keep the Genie remote in the upper storage compartment in the Fusion.

Of course, the 2008 Edge has HomeLink.

:cuss:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
description doesn't work...give me a picture squishy :bill:
You can see it through the hole in the steering wheel where the cruise control on/off buttons are.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,648 Posts
Looks like a command center in there! lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
In both the Tribute and the F-150 I have a dual button opener hanging on the front of the glove box door. Seems to work pretty well. The door openers can see the signal from a block away... :shrug: :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jpark said:
My 2007 Edge didn't have HomeLink, even as an option, so I keep the now-tiny Genie Excelerator remote inside the center console tray.

We keep the Genie remote in the upper storage compartment in the Fusion.

Of course, the 2008 Edge has HomeLink.

:cuss:
Bummer dude, I hate it when the next year model has that one little thing that you could really use, it undermines the overall taste for your current vehicle which you want to love 100%...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,345 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
Looks like a command center in there! lol
Would you expect anything less from Squishy??
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I'm opposed to having it visible. You might as well hang your house keys on the rear view mirror. How many of us have some sort of paperwork in the glove box that has our address? Someone busts into your truck, looks up your address and empties your house while you watch that movie. In my Mustang, I used double sided tape to stick the garage door opener inside the pocket on the driver's door. It's not visible and I can easily stick my hand in the door pocket and click it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,345 Posts
propellerhead said:
I'm opposed to having it visible. You might as well hang your house keys on the rear view mirror. How many of us have some sort of paperwork in the glove box that has our address? Someone busts into your truck, looks up your address and empties your house while you watch that movie.
In my house, they'd be attacked by the resident rat terror. :taz: :lol:

But that really is a good point, propellerhead!! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,455 Posts
Garage door opener? Mine is a small sliver of serrated metal, called a "key". I get out the car, and use the "key" when I require access to the garage.

However, as the Maverick doesn't actually fit in the garage, I don't actually need to open the garage door very often. 99% of garages in the U.K are used for storing junk, and mine is no different. :yes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
SilverAthlon said:
jpark said:
My 2007 Edge didn't have HomeLink, even as an option, so I keep the now-tiny Genie Excelerator remote inside the center console tray.

We keep the Genie remote in the upper storage compartment in the Fusion.

Of course, the 2008 Edge has HomeLink.

:cuss:
Bummer dude, I hate it when the next year model has that one little thing that you could really use, it undermines the overall taste for your current vehicle which you want to love 100%...
I still love the thing, but I sure would like to have HomeLink, voice-activated navigation and Sync, and the newer 20" chrome-clad wheels.

Even weirder? I do have voice-activated navigation. There's just no voice switch or microphone, which I can add.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
Dasha said:
<snip> In my house, they'd be attacked by the resident rat terror. :taz: :lol:

:lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
propellerhead said:
I'm opposed to having it visible. You might as well hang your house keys on the rear view mirror. How many of us have some sort of paperwork in the glove box that has our address? Someone busts into your truck, looks up your address and empties your house while you watch that movie. In my Mustang, I used double sided tape to stick the garage door opener inside the pocket on the driver's door. It's not visible and I can easily stick my hand in the door pocket and click it.
My stereo must not be an attraction, and I don't have things littered about the cabin of the interior. I have never had a break in on any of my cars, trucks or SUVs. I doubt that the type of people trolling the parking lots where I go would bother to drive across town and seek out an address. :shrug: My son has had his car broken into twice. Once his girl friend left her purse on the rear floor board and they smashed and grabbed that. And another time his car was parked out at DFW in the long term lot, they broke in and took a fancy lamp he had on the back seat. I guess they just liked the looks of that, it was worth about $10 brand new... :doh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
i'm with Chris - I just have one of those obscure metal things too lol.

that said, i do fall into the 1% of brits that DO use their garage for storing a car, tho the trouble is that there's always another car parked in front of it!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,345 Posts
jpark said:
Dasha said:
<snip> In my house, they'd be attacked by the resident rat terror. :taz: :lol:

:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep, mine attacks the vacuum cleaner too!!! It was cute at first, then became majorly annoying!!
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top