Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a FYI, probably old news, but getting ready for a trip in a few weeks and decided to look into buying an upgrade from the 2008 CD I have. I now see Garmin offers a 'LifeTime' upgrade of once a quarter for like 50% more than a 1 time upgrade!

Guess the question is, what is a lifetime of the GPS product?

nüMaps™ Lifetime. If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately), you will receive up to four (4) map Data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin's website, for one (1) compatible Garmin product until your product's useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map Data from NAVTEQ, whichever is shorter.
So Googling around it seems 'lifetime' is the usable life of the GPS, so if it lasts 1yr or 10...
Just wish they would update the Palm (XT) maps.

It seems 3rd party stores sell for arouund $95 so $25 savings if you can wait the week or so to get a card in the mail. But seeing how a 1timer is about $75 :)

Just also wish Garmin was like the old days, a 1 map product purchase was good for 2 GPS's you owned.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jonas1022 said:
The road system isn't expanding fast enough to pay for an upgrade. Just my $.02. :bill:
maybe not the roads, but POI's!

We were in Dallas a few years back, GPS data was not too old, 2-3yrs at most, and went to Wal-Mart, that was abondoned, no signs of to where it moved to (if it did) and it looked huge, so couldn't have been old anyway. Went to go eat, and had to look up several resturants before we actually got one that was still running.

So for roads only, probably not worth it. Just hope Garmin/navTec keep up their end and provide new data quartly

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
08HybridOK said:
jonas1022 said:
The road system isn't expanding fast enough to pay for an upgrade. Just my $.02. :bill:
maybe not the roads, but POI's!

We were in Dallas a few years back, GPS data was not too old, 2-3yrs at most, and went to Wal-Mart, that was abondoned, no signs of to where it moved to (if it did) and it looked huge, so couldn't have been old anyway. Went to go eat, and had to look up several resturants before we actually got one that was still running.

So for roads only, probably not worth it. Just hope Garmin/navTec keep up their end and provide new data quartly
I don't rely on the POI on my nav unit. But then, I don't use the thing much anyway :confused: . 95% of my driving is around the DFW area. The next 3-4% is in OKC for work. The balance is traveling to out of state destinations that I already know where I am going and the stops I need to make. ;)

I did use it to travel across the city to a nieghborhood that I don't know well, just yesterday. Otherwise, for me, it's a toy. :yes: :angel:

In a couple of weeks, I'll head out to Memphis for a nephew's wedding. That maybe the first legitimate use of the GPS for me. I was going to go to Indy for a Bullitt Nationals, but the wedding took precidence... :)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
The POIs on my copy of Streets and Trips seem fairly recent, but NAVTEQ maps are usually 3-5 years behind. I have a couple of friends who live "off-road" according to my GPS.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
All of my garmins want to take me across a bridge by my house that hasn't been there for 20 years. I tried a friends Tom Tom and it did the same thing. I think for out in the woods they are great :shades:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Our Garmin has saved our marriage on the last few major road trips (including the epic 2008 trip across the mid-West to St. Louis, Chicago, Minneapolis, and back to the west coast via the Canadian prairie).

I've only just updated the maps on our unit (which is about 18 months old) and did decide to purchase the "lifetime" maps option so we will see how that pans out. We tend to alternate driving vacations (the classic road trip) with vacations to exotic lands via plane, so the GPS maps & POIs get a pretty good work-out -- in late-June we will once again take to the road in our FEH with the trusty Garmin on the dash as we navigate through the Rockies via Rogers Pass (Lake Louise, Banff) then on to Calgary and a swing north through Drumheller, Edmonton & Jasper, before returning home via Prince George, the Cariboo and Fraser Canyon.

The accuracy of the maps was fine during previous trips to distant, unfamiliar parts of the continent, with only seasonal road work creating confusion for our trusty GPS -- at one point I had to change the preferences to avoid major highways as the Interstate in Minneapolis was under major reconstruction and we kept getting directed to on-ramps that were closed.

And yes, a few of the POIs were out-of-date, but nothing too severe (a few restaurants were kaput), but I find the GPS is invaluable for navigating us to an address (enter your motel/hotel and follow the voice), or for recalculating our route when a road is closed or there is a forced detour. Also, you can meander around an unfamiliar city all day without a care, and then just select your hotel from the save waypoints to get perfect directions back to your accommodations as the sun sets.

Given the value of our GPS to our sanity and continued happy union, the "lifetime" database update will likely be money well spent... far cheaper than a counsellor or divorce lawyer!

:yahoo:

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are, ahem, less than savory resources for getting the newest maps and POIs... :shades:

I love my nuvi 360, but it lacks a traffic service such as the newer MSN and FM-radio capable devices. It's not terribly handy around home, but it's the killer app when traveling. Together with the optional beanbag dash mount, they're a near perfect combo for finding my way around and making handsfree phonecalls in rental cars.

I will upgrade to a newer portable, probably another Garmin, when one of the widescreen models with free FM traffic service drops to around $200. I may consider an MSN or other 'net-enabled model though. I can definitely see the appeal of being able to find gas prices and quick restaurant reviews... I remember being led to a rather sketchy part of Phoenix to a Mexican restaurant my wife and I chose not to visit after all. The nuvi took us there like a champ, but couldn't tell us if it was a place we'd really like to get out of the car or try eating.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts