Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any idea where i can find an OEM gas cap and a window control switch for an '03?

my gas cap was broken off when i bought it, so i have to hold it or set it down when filling up and would like to replace it

and i just noticed the other day that the window control on the rear driver's side door was cracked and i'd like to replace that as well

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I don't have the part numbers in front of me, but here's where you can order them at the lowest prices:

$17.12 for the standard, non-locking fuel cap.
http://tinyurl.com/cbmnwk

By window control, do you mean the plastic piece surrounding the switch? If so, go to the link below, then look at the colors under "Switch housing". Click on the color that you have for that part. It's $9.11-$12.62, depending on the color.
http://tinyurl.com/bbl6bs

If you mean the switch itself, it's $11.88.
http://tinyurl.com/aerb8z

HTH!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jp!! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Is it just your gas cap tether that is broken? I would just "plastic weld" it back together. Two ways I can think of to do this - one is to melt the two ends together with a soldering iron, by "pushing' melted plastic from one end to the other. Another way is to push the two ends together and heat it with a flame.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, it broke right where it meets the door hinge though...

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Are you worried about the hinge rubbing against it, or is it broken in a place that's hard to piece back together? I don't think my tether ever "met" the hinge from the factory.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think i misspoke, i took another look at it and doesn't appear to be broken anywhere, maybe just unhooked????

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Looks like it's just unhooked. It's been a while since I relocated mine, but I think the pointy bit at the end pops out of a plastic ring that is the end of the actual tether.

There is a hole on the hinge of my filler door, which is where I relocated the gas cap to. I can hang the cap from one of the prongs on the filler door instead of letting it hang and bang against the paint.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think i know where it goes, i might have to make the hole bigger though

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fixed the window switch, easy fix too

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I took a closer look at the hole I used to mount the tether. It's not the smaller hole in the middle of the hinge, but the bigger one that is closer to the door. I didn't have to enlarge anything, but I think I needed a screwdriver to push the pin against the hole so I could snap the ring in the tether onto it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea i fixed it like a week ago, like you said, i took a screwdriver and pushed the old pin through and just pushed the new one in, good as new

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
:thumb:

Better than new, as now you won't have a gas cap scratching up your paint.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Squishy said:
Is it just your gas cap tether that is broken? I would just "plastic weld" it back together. Two ways I can think of to do this - one is to melt the two ends together with a soldering iron, by "pushing' melted plastic from one end to the other. Another way is to push the two ends together and heat it with a flame.
:bic: +
=

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I can always count on someone like you to not take the tether off the car before bringing a flame to it. :bang:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know here in Pa they require a gas cap pressure test in most counties and several shops are too lazy to unbolt it and just cut or break it off. Make sure to tell the shop you take it to if they do this test to do it the right way!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts