Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filled up yesterday for the first time. 2.4 miles coming home. I started the car yesterday once.

I get in the car today to drive my son to school, my gauge reads abt 1/8 of a tank down. That's odd. I look at the miles to E, when I got home yesterday I thought to check it just for grins to see what I was expected to get out of a tank. 396, this morning, 333. Checked the MPG reading, it said 24.8, which is said yesterday.

Any ideas on this? I even wondered if I got siphoned but I don't know how to get a hose in the thing, I tried to press my finger in the gas to open it but it would hare required a bit of pressure.

I was parked on fairly level ground and the gauge didn't level out on the 15 mile round trip to school.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Did you look at your Miles to E after you filled it up? You may have not filled it up completly, my only guess.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Katscan said:
Did you look at your Miles to E after you filled it up? You may have not filled it up completly, my only guess.
Yup, after I got home 2.4 miles after filling up, it said 396. It said 396 last nite too.

I can't see some kids siphoning it either, I figure that would take some knowledge of how to circumvent the Easy Fuel capless inlet. Except for that fact, it really points to siphoning. There are teens around here to have done it. I am going to fill it today and see how much it takes. just for grins.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've heard that for at least the last couple years, most manufacturers have incorporated anti-siphon technology into the fuel systems (I guess then they just punch a hole in your gas tank instead).

I can't imagine why the fuel level would be down by an 1/8th, but I could see why the miles to empty could be off. Did you reset the MPG display to zero after you filled up? Trip A, B and the MPG display can all be reset individually to zero -you must reset the MPG display to zero for proper calculation of the miles remaining.

Here's that section from the owners manual-although its not described very well (Mariner's). Hope that helps.

Distance to empty is calculated using a running average fuel economy,
which is based on your recent driving history of 500 miles (800 km).
This value is not the same as the average fuel economy display. The
running average fuel economy is re-initialized to a factory default value if
the battery is disconnected.
AVG MPG (L/100km)
Average fuel economy displays your average fuel economy in miles/gallon
or liters/100 km.
If you calculate your average fuel economy by dividing distance traveled
by gallons of fuel used (liters of fuel used by 100 kilometers traveled),
your figure may be different than displayed for the following reasons:
• Your vehicle was not perfectly level during fill-up
• Differences in the automatic shut-off points on the fuel pumps at
service stations
• Variations in top-off procedure from one fill-up to another
• Rounding of the displayed values to the nearest 0.1 gallon (liter)
1. Drive the vehicle at least 5 miles (8 km) with the speed control
system engaged to display a stabilized average.
2. Record the highway fuel economy for future reference.
It is important to press the RESET button (press and hold RESET for
two seconds in order to reset the function) after setting the speed
control to get accurate highway fuel economy readings.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Miles to "Empty" does not mean the tank is "dry" at empty. The vehicle's software is designed to have a certain amount of fuel left when the gauge reads "E". In my 2005 Hybrid it is approximately 1.3 gallons left at "E". Someone with a 2009 Hybrid stated there is .9 gallons left at "E". This protective issue is the primary reason why you posted your question.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Kind of like when Kramer took that Saab for a test drive and tried to see how long he could go with the needle at "E". :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts