Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What gas mileage are you guys getting?

On my last tank, I went 274.5 miles on 13.841 gallons, which is 19.8 mpg. Pretty good considering I have a leadfoot and most of my driving isn't on the highway, but under 45 mph.
I do normally average higher though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have an '01 with 122,500 miles. Avg just about 20 mpg 'everyday' driving, and about 23 on tanks of gas run completely at highway speeds (65 to 75 mph).

Heretical statement: I wish I hadn't ordered the 4WD version. I don't do any off road driving, and I've only needed the 4WD a handful of times for snow in the 8 years I've had the car. I figure that's costing me 4-5 mpg per tank due to the weight of the 2nd drive axle.

:bill:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
4wd is where its at!!!.. lol, and during the winter, i drop to about 380-420km/tank. in the summer its around 500km/tank. and thats at around 55L. mind you once i put 58.9L in it. and here i was thinking i had a 58L tank lol.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I don't think the penalty of AWD is anywhere near 4-5 MPG. Closer to 1-2 MPG.

I have averaged 21.4 MPG over the last 686 days. Best has been 27.7 MPG in December of 2008. Worst has been 14.6 MPG in August of 2007. I average 11 cents per kilometre.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think my 4WD has that much of a penalty.. I think much of the penalty comes from how I drive :D

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
I am currently getting 23.7 mpg. All City/ country roads.

The best I have gotten is 24.8

Hmmm......same driving conditions. Must be that lead foot kicking in. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
so my 09 4 cylinder without the 4wd should get really good gas mileage? especially with the new 6 speed auto i would think. i'll be sure to post it after i pick the car up.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Spark757 said:
:lol: I wish I had a gauge to show my mpg! Would make it so much easier!
Yes, it does make it easier. :) When I first got the Escape, I was also doing the math, and the gauge is accurate. :thumb:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Lifetime average of 21.5 mpg (US) with best of 29.4mpg and worst of 17.5mpg.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I hit 20 mpg maybe five or six times in 7 years. Now-a-days, anything over 20 mpg is a pipe dream in my Escape. When it was new I averaged about 18 mpg in the summer with an equal mix of highway and city driving. That first winter, mileage dropped to 16-17 mpg. You can see a "Gas Mileage Log" on an old website I made: http://www.romaine.name/Escape/gas_log.htm.

(I know some of the links on the site are old and point to a different Escape Message Board we all have issues with. The last time I updated my site was in 2003 when it was the best site around. Times have changed but the site hasn't. One of these days I'll do an update, it's just FrontPage lost all the links and I haven't had the time or patients to rebuild it. Anyway... back to the topic.)

My best was about 22.5 on a trip to Kentucky. My worst was around 11.3 one very snowy week. Now I do mostly city driving. I filled up today and got 13.8 mpg... 95% city. These days, I average 16-17 mpg in the summer and 13-15 mpg in the winter. If I accelerate really slowly and go 55-60 mph on an all highway trip, I can just brush 20 mpg. I did this once last summer when gas was $4/gal, but it was hard to not keep up with the traffic around me doing 65-75 mph. I think I just got a thirsty Escape... :(

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
At a rough estimate about 625 kms per tank. But then my escape is the 2.3 litre four cylinder. Obviously the top up fuel tank light was on. I made sure to be in the vicinity of a petrol servo. Was considering, trying to go for another ten kilometres. But then i get very paranoid.

My owners manual , does not actually specify an estimate of mileage, when the low fuel level light is on. All i can remember is that, the escape feels very light on rear end. When i did the experiment, it was set up so that petrol station was on the down hill run. The sensation is nerve wracking.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Out on the hiway I've gotten as much as 25 MPG however most of the time it's about 22-23. :yes:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
My usual is around 19 mpg in town, and 21-22 on the highway/ interstate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I get about 23 MPG average. I do have a 2.3l though.

I've noticed people who use kilometers still call it mileage. Is it advertised as miles per gallon?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm averaging 25mpg for combined city/highway in my '09 XLS. I have a manual transmission though, which gives me a 2mpg bump for the city portions. And I only have 1600 miles on the car.

Can't wait to see how she does on my first Arkansas > Kentucky trip.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
ZX2R said:
I get about 23 MPG average. I do have a 2.3l though.

I've noticed people who use kilometers still call it mileage. Is it advertised as miles per gallon?
We use litres per 100 kilometres (L / 100 km) in most of our literature here, although television ads do use MPG. Lately I have seen the use of imperial gallons as opposed to US gallons more and more often. I think the Focus was advertised as getting 50 MPG highway. :shock:

I use MPG more often, although I use L / 100 km when posting on Canadian sites. My logs calculate both numbers for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well I guess we all agree the mileage isn't all that great.Has anybody tried one of those little black boxes that alters the MAP signal to the ECU.I read somewhere that the MAP sensor signal is really touchy and the chip in the box helps to stabilize it,hence injector pulse width doesn't go crazy trying to keep up with it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
ZX2R said:
We use Litres/100Km in Australia. But after being on this site so song and everyone talking in MPG I normally calculate my fuel economy in MPG. I talk in MPG to my Dad and he gets a bit confused :confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts