Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

gas pedal binding

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  hurk 
#1 ·
I have a problem that I'm not familiar with. It started as a minnor issue the gas pedal would bind when it was in the topmost position when it was cold out, but now 3 months later I can almost stand on the pedal and it will not move. Usually a good kick will get it moving again but i never like to do that. The problem is intermittent and usually only happens when its cold out and the car is running, never when it's warm or the car is turned off, turning the car off then restarting will also clear this problem

#2 ·
I forget what exactly my mechanic did, but he fixed that no problem. There is a spot somewhere, maybe on the linkage to the throttle on the engine side that binds and needs to be cleaned and lubricated. Maybe someone here can identify the exact position, but my mechanic was familiar with the issue and fixed it during a normal tune up.

#3 ·
Throttle body probably needs cleaning. Had mine done at the dealership - $67 all taxes/fees in.

#5 ·
You've been driving the vehicle for 3+ months w this problem? gee.
What model?

It seems like I read somewhere that there was a TSB or service bulletin in regards to an accelerator problem... perhaps something do w the throttle cable - not sure, though. And I don't know what years. The problem sounds mechanical, so it could be a carbon-clogged throttle plate, sticking throttle cable or maybe a warped throttle body. Just some guesses based on known problems pertaining to the Ford Escape.

#6 ·
Common Problems Thead: http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=259

The very first post reads:

Sticky throttle
Most commonly caused by build-up on the throttle body. This is the part where the throttle and cruise control cables end, and is connected to the rubber intake flex pipe. Remove that pipe and you will see a butterfly valve (throttle plate). Spray coating-safe throttle body cleaner in while operating the throttle plate. Let it set for a while, then spray in some more. If build-up remains, you may have to scrub lightly with a toothbrush. I like to finish it off with a few squirts with the engine running.

This was an issue on early Escapes. I'm not sure this is your issue though. It was more of a minor binding. I've never heard of someone having to actually stand on the throttle to get it to move...

#7 ·
Its the 2.3l and the car only has 40000 miles on it all maintenance has been done religiously and I run a K&N since new and it is cleaned every oil change. The dealership claimed it was carbon fouling but when I took the throtle body off the car all I found was some soft powdery carbon and not much of it (from working with firearms if you say carbon fouling is causing a jam I think heavy baked on carbon not light sooty carbon.) I cleaned it our with a can of Berryman's B12 (the dealership wanted $200 to clean it in a vat of solvent but I'm a nearly broke college student so thats out of the question) It hasn't happened since then but what i saw shouldn't have been the cause of my binding.

#8 ·
sonartexan said:
Its the 2.3l and the car only has 40000 miles ....
What year is the car? Have you inspected the throttle cable & cruise control cable?
The outer sheathing can become brittle & hard (non-pliable), leading to a sticking throttle.
It's possible for the sheathing to crumble.
As mentioned, there may be a TSB on this problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.