Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...Lately after filling up at the gas station there is a gas smell that is only detected when standing at the rear passenger door...No smell inside the car...After awhile it goes away...No spots on the ground or wet areas seen underneath...I'm hoping maybe it was just overfilled but wanted to ask you guys your opinion...Thank you!...............

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
When you fill the tank, the air inside the tank is displaced. It likely has some fuel vapors mixed in. I do not have the connections memorized, but think there is a hose that leads from the top of the tank, where the vapor would be, to the side of the filler neck, kind of near the top where the cap screw into place. When you fill, vapor will come up that line and out alongside the nozzle to the atmosphere. If the line is broken or compromised, the vapor will come out, but not necessarily where it should. I think you would eventually get a 'fuel vapor leak detected' error or some sort. An error that should record a 'trouble code' that can be retrieved by a scan tool.
Other than that, you can inspect the vapor lines alongside the filler neck, and also can remove the metal plate under the rear seat lower cushion on the drivers side(under the carpet). Inspect all the connections to the sender unit(pump & gauge assembly) and peer around as best you can looking for damage/broken/loose fittings & line.
Or you can build yourself a 'smoke machine' and plumb its output into the canister line under hood, and pump smoke back towards the fuel tank stuff. If there's a leak, you will see smoke. Smoke is not hot, and not especially flammable.(uses baby oil?? howboutthat)

tom

·
Registered
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid
23 Posts
to be safe, Carry a fire extinguisher. Mine did that right before the evap canister failed.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Do not overfill. When it clicks off stop, or even before. That being said, there is a vapor valve i have changed on a few of my Fords when a check engine light comes on. Cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts