·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
bump

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'm looking through the service DVDs now. I can't find anything describing this shield yet.

As soon as I do, I'll post it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks buddy!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Any luck?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Nope. I just looked through all of the workshop manuals for the 2001-2004 models, and I can't find anything showing a shield. The closest I got was in the fuel system diagrams, which show the two straps that secure the fuel tank.

I don't even remember seeing a shield like that under my 2005, since I could see the straps and the fuel tank easily.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I don't think I have one on mine either.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Then what the hell is cracked under my car?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I'd just cut it off to be honest bud...

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Can you take any more detailed pictures of it from underneath?

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Like can you lift up the rear end somehow and get some good wide shots from it so we can see the whole thing?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Scooter Scott said:
Like can you lift up the rear end somehow and get some good wide shots from it so we can see the whole thing?
I wish. I have no floor jack that could lift my Escape high enough to get a wide shot. I will tell you though that this "cover" extends up and above the drive shaft too. It's pretty large!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Can you park either the *** end or front end on a hill?? Just anything that would allow you to get a further distance of a shot on it to get the most detail :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Doubt it. Oh well.... I give up. My dad and I will look at it sometime this winter.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Hey, I don't have this shield on my car either, so I would agree with Scott, just rip the thing off.
It could have been added by the cars previous owner as a modification,

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Picture is stolen from O2escape.

There is the shield. Mine is black because of the rubberized undercoating I sprayed on it.

Ideas? Thoughts?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Now that I can see it, I'm guessing that the shield is part of the fuel tank assembly.

Now for the bad news: the service DVD does show how to remove and install the fuel tank, but that involves removing the driveshaft on 4WD models, which you have. The service manual shows only the tank as an entire assembly, so the shield may be permanently attached to the tank.

I'll put up a how-to thread for the fuel tank tomorrow.

Here's the thread for the driveshaft removal and installation: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=566

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Is it bad if I have a big hole in mine?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'm guessing again, but I'd say that it's fine. Does Massachusetts have any kind of regular vehicle inspection? You could take it to a dealer and just ask if it's a problem.

I'm also guessing that the shield is there only to prevent off-road scrapes from damaging the tank directly.

PS...if you want to use really good rustproofing, stay away from the spray-on stuff sold at auto stores. Spectacide Pruning Sealer (green can, Lowe's and Home Depot carry it) is far better at stopping current rust and preventing more rust from forming. It's more like a heavy black liquid, and it has a wax/asphalt base, so it gets into everything as you spray it, and then it dries. It won't crack in cold weather or melt in warm weather, and it doesn't fall off like the cheap junk sold at auto stores. Trust me, it's the best stuff out there. It's a lot like the stuff Ziebart sold in cans years ago.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts