Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they exist or are mine not working? Purchased new about 2 weeks ago and just noticed there are no lights here.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
All 2008+ E/M/Ts should have lighted characters on the shifter. I have a 2010, and they're lighted.

There are one or two #37 or #74 bulbs in the gear selector assembly. Other than the interior lamp bulbs, those are the only other bulbs in the interior of 2008+ models. All other controls and gauges are lighted by permanently-mounted LEDs.

Here's how you can access the bulb(s):
1) Open the console storage lid.
2) Remove the console bin.
3) Lift up slightly on the rear side of the top console trim piece, enough to pull up on the shifter trim ring. Try not to scratch the area around the shifter ring.
4) Carefully lift and remove the shifter trim ring, then lift up and remove the top console trim piece.
5) Remove the only two screws on the side of the console directly next to the shifter. This will allow you to push the console sides apart slightly.
6) You should now be able to reach under the inside center of the shifter assembly to twist the socket(s) out of the housing and then replace the bulbs.

My 2007 Edge had one bulb in the shifter assembly, but the service DVD says that the Escape's shifter (which is a different design) should have two.

Either way, I designed a 10-LED board to snap into the shifter assembly in my Edge. The Edge's new owner will never need to replace a bulb in there again. Sooner or later, I'm going to do the same thing with the one in my Escape.

:D

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
My 06XLT, has a backlit 12DNRP.
Had the globes replaced a while back.
The service tech, used procedure that JPark described.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great answers, very helpful. I'll stop by the dealer and let them check it out. My escape is black on black 4wd xlt and so far we love it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took back to dealer today. They replaced bulb now all is good. I wonder how many just asume there is no light.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just noticed that mine where out this evening....

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I think if ya gonna replace one bulb thats out in the cluster you might as well just replace them all so u wont have to take cluster out again,cheap insurance... :peace:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mine lights up but is dimmer than the other panel lights, etc. Normal, or have I maybe lost one of the two bulbs?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
jbone2470 said:
I think if ya gonna replace one bulb thats out in the cluster you might as well just replace them all so u wont have to take cluster out again,cheap insurance... :peace:
While I agree with you, the bulb in question is not in the instrument cluster. It is in the gear shifter display, located on the center console between the seats

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
slavrenz said:
jbone2470 said:
While I agree with you, the bulb in question is not in the instrument cluster. It is in the gear shifter display, located on the center console between the seats
I know, just was throwing it out there for people who may have a bulb out in their CLUSTER...Also there maybe 2 bulbs in the gear shifter location and if so i recommend replacing both.... :thumb: But thanx for the clarification,That could of confused some people if they read my response and took it the wrong way.. :peace:

·
Registered
521 Posts
jpark said:
All 2008+ E/M/Ts should have lighted characters on the shifter. I have a 2010, and they're lighted.

There are one or two #37 or #74 bulbs in the gear selector assembly. Other than the interior lamp bulbs, those are the only other bulbs in the interior of 2008+ models. All other controls and gauges are lighted by permanently-mounted LEDs.

Here's how you can access the bulb(s):
1) Open the console storage lid.
2) Remove the console bin.
3) Lift up slightly on the rear side of the top console trim piece, enough to pull up on the shifter trim ring. Try not to scratch the area around the shifter ring.
4) Carefully lift and remove the shifter trim ring, then lift up and remove the top console trim piece.
5) Remove the only two screws on the side of the console directly next to the shifter. This will allow you to push the console sides apart slightly.
6) You should now be able to reach under the inside center of the shifter assembly to twist the socket(s) out of the housing and then replace the bulbs.

My 2007 Edge had one bulb in the shifter assembly, but the service DVD says that the Escape's shifter (which is a different design) should have two.

Either way, I designed a 10-LED board to snap into the shifter assembly in my Edge. The Edge's new owner will never need to replace a bulb in there again. Sooner or later, I'm going to do the same thing with the one in my Escape.

:D
Great walkthru, I spend more time going to autozone and back than doing the actual replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Jparks post on replacing the console gear selector light bulb (step 4) how do you remove the finish trim. I don't want to force it and break the plastic. Can anyone advise the trick to make it let go?
Thanks,
-k-
( I have 2011 not 2010 but it appears to be the same)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts