Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm new here, hopefully i can get some help in this forum.

I have a 2005 ford escape 2.3 at 80,000km automatic that i bought a few weeks back. I'm wondering if anyone have the same problem. when accelerating slowly it seems to stay in low gear till 3000rpm then change to the nxt gear. so in the 20km/h to 60km/h range it accelerates really slowly. once over 60km/h it starts to accelerate really fast and i have to let go of the pedal quite a bit to keep the speed steady.

any suggestions? i'm wondering if its a problem with the transmission or the way i'm driving. the car was bought off an auction and i have no service history on it, except for a log book service at 60,000kms. once i got the car i did a major service with checks under the bonnet and below the car and changed the engine oil.

i'm from australia btw. thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sounds to me like a sticking throttle body plate, IAC or throttle position sensor. Remove the air hose to see if you have any carbon build up inside the throttle body and clean with throttle body cleaner you can get at any auto parts store.
It also could be the accelerator cable binding, inspect the cable to see if in fact it is.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!

Also: you have a transmission that "learns" your driving habits. If you disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect it, the transmission will "learn" your driving habits again.

But LX302 is right: look at the other components first.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
yes at that mileage, I would drain and fill the oil a few times till its a nice red and not burnt smelling.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi guys

thanks for all your comments! i just got my radio code so i will disconnect the battery and see if the ecu gets better (assuming that was the problem)

anyway about the transmission fluid, i'm going to start another thread. i'm starting to wonder if that has been changed before as well. bought the escape way below market price but lack of service history is starting to annoy me =S

·
Registered
168 Posts
G'day Techy,
A word of advice...if you have the $'s take it to a dealership and have them service the transmission. It can't hurt and may save you big bucks down the line.
I'm speaking from personal experience. I bought an '01 model about 2 years ago with very little service history. I immediately changed oil and filters (and have done every 6 months since buying) recently replaced all inlet gaskets, spark plugs, and even replaced the throttle body. The one thing I put off was getting the transmission serviced..to my cost. I've just forked out $3000 to replace the transmission with a recond unit...a very expensive lesson.
If you're in Melbourne I can recommend the guys that did my transmission but if not then I seriously suggest you find a reputable workshop and have it done. Ensure whoever does it uses the correct transmission fluid...should be in your manual. Have them flush your trans oil cooler as well. Believe me..for the couple of hundred it will cost you'll save a lot more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Christophera!

thanks for the advice, sorry to hear that you have to replace your transmission. I'm definitely going to get it serviced at a reputatable place, still trying to find one in Perth! Did u get yours done at a dealer? My escape xlt is made in Japan I have ATF M-III / ford R1-36 listed in my manual. which fluid did u end up using for your escape?

Its hard to find someone who actually knows what they are doing or a workshop whos not trying to rip you off. I've been told that my coolant system was leaking at a workshop on my last service and the pump had to be replaced rightaway but after more than 3000kms and a month of driving, coolant level did not drop n no leaks anywhere! i'm still keeping a close eye on it but i reckon that the guy was just trying to rip me off.

christophera said:
G'day Techy,
A word of advice...if you have the $'s take it to a dealership and have them service the transmission. It can't hurt and may save you big bucks down the line.
I'm speaking from personal experience. I bought an '01 model about 2 years ago with very little service history. I immediately changed oil and filters (and have done every 6 months since buying) recently replaced all inlet gaskets, spark plugs, and even replaced the throttle body. The one thing I put off was getting the transmission serviced..to my cost. I've just forked out $3000 to replace the transmission with a recond unit...a very expensive lesson.
If you're in Melbourne I can recommend the guys that did my transmission but if not then I seriously suggest you find a reputable workshop and have it done. Ensure whoever does it uses the correct transmission fluid...should be in your manual. Have them flush your trans oil cooler as well. Believe me..for the couple of hundred it will cost you'll save a lot more.

·
Registered
168 Posts
G'day again Techy,
Sorry I can't help with someone in Perth to do your auto trans service. Stick with the bigger places ... even the dealership.. would be my only advice.
I'm not sure what particular AT fluid they used in my "new" trans. I'll ask when I see them again on a follow-up visit in a couple of weeks. If you look on the Trans dipstick it should tell you what kind to use...mine says "Mercon" so Mercon or Dextron III equivalents are suitable. Your's may or may not be different...not sure. I would ask at your local Ford dealership for confirmation.
Good luck with it.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts