Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
New here, own 2 Escapes...
I have an '04 Limited that I'd like to add a Gentex compass or compass/thermometer mirror to.
I had seen in a search that there are a few with Gentex mirrors (Other than the stock auto dim)
What model numbers will work in my '04? (Mine has an auto dim mirror)
Any help would be much appreciated. I tried installing a 7 pin (Same plug as my stock mirror) autodim/ compass Gentex & it just blew the fuse :-(

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The 7-pin connector on the Gentex mirror is different from the mirror that Ford used on 2001-2004 Escapes, especially since Ford used MagnaDonnelly mirrors on those models.

Here's the mirror connector pinout for 2001-2004 Escapes with the factory auto-dimming mirror.

There are a few very important differences in this connector versus the connector used on current 7-pin Gentex mirrors:

Code:
         Gentex                               Ford Factory Mirror

Pin 1    +12V                                 +12V
Pin 2    Ground                               Ground
Pin 3    Reverse (+12V when active)           Reverse (GROUND when active)
Pin 4    Auto-dim exterior mirror             unused
Pin 5    Auto-dim exterior mirror             unused
Pin 6    Temp probe                           Headlamps on
Pin 7    Temp probe                           Interior lamps
Can you take close-up pictures of the Ford factory connector and the Gentex connector? I can tell you how you'll need to wire it if you can do that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hope this works, This is litterally, my 2nd post & I'm trying to wing it posting pics!?! lol
-Thanks for the quick responses :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow!
-Chaulk one up for the rookie, eh?
This Gentex mirror I bought is a gntx 177 model. It's auto dim & compass only. No temp or homelink. I really don't care about the homelink, I had that on my 300M & really don't miss it. The Factory compartment for the garage door remote in this Escape is good enough for me. But I would love to have one with the temp on it. I was just unsure which one would work & thought the 177 would w/out modification, given, I thought the factory mirror was made by Gentex, thanks for the info. that it is not, now it all makes sense as to why it blew the fuse right away!
If you could give me some pointers on how to wire this I'd really appreciate it! I'm a body man by trade & an ameture at electronics. I guess I know enough to be dangerous! lol

I guess my next logical question would be; would a donnelly mirror be plug & play? Say, if I bought one w/ auto dim/ compass & temp?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Unfortunately, the 2001-2004 Escape electrical system isn't plug-and-play compatible with any of the newer Gentex or MagnaDonnelly mirrors, but you can definitely wire up a new mirror with a few minor changes.

It's VERY important to note that the 2001-2004 Escape and Tribute had an entirely different electrical system from the 2005-2007 models (and, obviously, the 2008 and newer models). The reason I'm mentioning this is that to brighten the mirror when shifting into reverse, you'll need to invert the reverse lamp signal from the current wire leading to the mirror connector (you wouldn't need to do this in a 2005 or newer Escape/Mariner/Tribute, since the reverse lamp signal is the same as the current mirrors). If brightening the mirror in reverse isn't important, you can leave it disconnected (see below).

I had a 2005 Limited. I bought a Magna Donnelly 19701 mirror (auto-dimming with compass and temperature display) from here:

http://salestores.com/don19autdimc.html

I still like the design of MagnaDonnelly's mirrors, since the compass and temperature display are separate from the mirror itself, and it easily mounts on the factory windshield mount.

Now for the wiring. You'll still be able to use the factory connector, but you'll need to remove three pins from it:

1) Remove Pin 3 (the BLACK with PINK STRIPE wire) from the factory connector. You can do this with a safety pin by pulling back the little plastic tab holding the pin and sliding the pin out of the connector. Cover it securely with heat-shrink or electrical tape (or, even better, cut the wire and protect it further back in the harness so that it doesn't show near the headliner-to-mirror area).

2) Remove Pin 6 (the RED with WHITE STRIPE wire) from the factory connector. Cover it securely.

3) Remove Pin 7 (the ORANGE with LIGHT GREEN STRIPE wire) from the factory connector. Cover it securely.

4) Remove the temperature probe pins from the new mirror's connector. Working from inside the engine compartment, find a factory rubber grommet that will allow you to slide the pins into the passenger compartment near the driver side of the instrument panel, then up the driver-side A-pillar, inside the front of the headliner, and side-by-side with the factory mirror connector.

5) Slide the new mirror's temperature probe pins into the Pin 6 and Pin 7 openings in the factory connector.

6) Back inside the engine compartment, run the temperature probe end of the wiring alongside the factory harness leading to the area near the driver side headlamps and down into the area below the headlamps. You'll need to pull back the front of the driver side splash shield to get into the area under the headlamp. Clamp the temperature probe inside that area, since it's well-isolated from engine heat and sunlight.

7) Mount the new mirror and plug the connector into it.

You'll need to calibrate the compass according to the instructions included with the new mirror.

BTW, these instructions will work with either the MagnaDonnelly mirror I described, or, if you prefer the inside-the-mirror display of a Gentex mirror, you can use Gentex's 50-GENK20A mirror, which has the same features, the same wedge mount, and the same connector layout.

http://www.mechanics-warehouse.com/mito-50genk20.htm

Please let me know how this works out!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
It sure is!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for the info! I don't get why you'd plug the temp probe into the factory plug & not the back of the mirror, or was that a typo?
-Also, will I lose the auto on function for the headlights & will my interior lights be effected once this new mirror is installed? Again, thank you so much for the info & it's also great for anyone else considering doing this. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You're welcome!

What I'm suggesting is that you remove the reverse lamp signal, headlamp signal, and interior lamp signal pins from the factory mirror connector, remove the two temperature probe pins from the NEW mirror's connector, then mount those two temperature probe pins/wire in pin locations 6 and 7 of the factory mirror connector. Then you can plug the factory mirror connector into the new mirror without any barn-job wiring to the new mirror.

While I can see the external wiring diagram for the 2001-2004 auto-dimming mirror, I can't see the internal schematics for the GEM module, so I can't tell you for sure how it will affect your automatic headlamps and interior lamps. But you can find out easily by disconnecting the factory mirror from the factory mirror connector, then see how everything works (or doesn't). The 2001-2004 factory auto-dimming mirror used the dimming circuitry in the mirror to determine whether or not the headlamps go on when set to automatic. I'm guessing that they won't work anymore, and there's not really much you can do about that with the current aftermarket mirrors. Most newer cars now use a "sunload sensor" on the instrument panel (part of the climate control system) to control automatic headlamps, since they're usually packaged with automatic climate controls.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, ok. I get it now. But since this mirror I have right now does not have a thermometer in it I will no thave to worry about doing that untill I buy one with a temp readout. (The mirror I have right now it just auto dim w/ a compass)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the wiring tips jpark! I finally got around to installing the auto dim/ compass mirror. I figured I'd throw that in there for now & prob get a mirror w/ the temp in it too. (I'll have to mount the sensor & run the wire then) But for now, the compass mirror works great!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:thumb:

Glad to help!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE;
Got a autodim/ compass/ temp Odonnelly a few weeks back & installed. Ran the temp sensor down into the left fenderwell. Works great. The guy I bought it from customizes them to whatever color readout you want. I chose the Ford factory green to match the interior lights. Install was a snap :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'm glad that it worked! How did they customize the display color? I wonder if they know how to separate the shell, because I was never able to do that with the Donnelly mirror that I had in my 2005 Escape.

Rosco makes dozens of different colors of "Roscolux" transparent color "gel" sheets, so I'll bet that they use a piece of that. That's what I used to filter the fluorescent message center display in my Edge (between the gauges, below) so that it has the exact same blue LED color. I used filter #383 (Sapphire Blue).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, that's exactly what he used. Doesn't match the factory color perfectly but close. Alot better than the aqua color they come with. I first used it myself when I installed a "neo jukebox" in my old Grand Am. (Changed the remote screen from green to red to match the dash.
Anyways -thanks again for the install tips! I'm one of those guys who will figure almost anything out for myself sooner or later but you sure saved me alot of time! That's why I love these forums they save alot of time & mistakes when you can find someone whom has already accomplished what you're looking to do! :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased a Mazda Tribute Electronic Dimming, Temperature, and Homelink mirror for my 2006 Escape Hybrid through one of the discount Mazda dealers. Price was around $200 and it appears to be a Gentex mirror. The mirror had the wiring harness for the Tribute (which is the same as the Escape.)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I realize this thread is old, but from reading the wiring diagram on page 1, i gather that if there is not a wire connected to pin 6 and 7 of the gentex harness then there is no temp probe installed? i am trying to figure out if i even have the temp probe or if the mirror is a gentex.

this is related to this

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4733

1 - 20 of 28 Posts