Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse for it being so dark. This was taken at night. If i had a NikonSB800 speedlight, can imagine the result would be different.

As it was, i used the opposite carpark light pole for assistance. It is fortunate ,that early settlers tollgate hut is lit up. Otherwise my nikon ,would display info of " Subject is too dark. "

Anyway it is only a hobby, and doing the best i can. There is actually a tollgate on other side of that hut.

This building is at the adelaide end, of our sth. eastern freeway. The suburb is known as " Glen Osmond ". Basically going back to early settlers days, this road was originally a very rough track.

During the 1830's, our early pioneers would pay a toll. Their access to the ranges, or into adelaide was via the ' Toll gate '. I suppose the stone hut, provided shelter for the gate keeper.

Some of the pioneers walked. Those who were comfortably off, would have used a horse and buggy. The german settlers at hahndorf, carted their produce to market , with a horse and an open top tray type wagon.

People must have been, tough as nails back in them days. Introducing the " Glen Osmond Tollgate "

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,621 Posts
Very nice pic stone. Thank you for sharing it.

Does your camera allow you the option to manually control the exposure time?? The reason I ask is if you had the ability to set your shutter speed to something on the order of 5 minutes or so, your results may be improved for this shot.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
277 Posts
stone said:
Please excuse for it being so dark. This was taken at night. If i had a NikonSB800 speedlight, can imagine the result would be different.
Stone... you've got to put Photoshop to good use and do a bit of post-camera improvements to your images when they're too dark.

It's amazing how much detail the camera actually does capture, even at night. After transferring the JPEG (or RAW) file to your computer, fire up Photoshop and go to town.

The simplest way to enhance dark images is by going to the following menu selection:

Image > Adjustments > Shadow/Highlight

You can then adjust the amount of shadow reduction (expressed as a percentage) in the top half of the dialogue box and the highlights on the bottom. The only problem with this "simple" approach is your image will begin to exhibit a fair amount of "noise" (grey pixelation) as you crank up the numbers. To restore some of the image quality, you should then do the "Auto Contrast" and "Auto Color" adjustments.

When you really want to fine-tune your dark images, you can get into greater control via the "Levels" command under that same "Adljustments" menu. Given enough time and skill, you can make that toll gate look like it's basking in the Australian sunshine!

:rockon:

P.S. -- there is still no replacement for a great digital camera and external flash combo as you note... I use a Nikon D300 with a Speedlight SB-600. :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.