Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a little off topic but what if the Big 3 became the Big 2??

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/ma...strials/report-gm-chrysler-held-merger-talks/

General Motors (GM: 4.89, +0.13, +2.73%) and privately-held Chrysler, two of the most iconic names in American industry, have held preliminary talks about a possible merger, according to The Wall Street Journal. The paper said that those talks have been put on hold due to the crisis in the financial markets, but if the situation stabilizes they could start up again because both parties may want to move assets quickly.

Private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management owns Chrysler, as well as 51% of financing company GMAC. The Journal reported that Cerberus proposed selling GM all of Chrysler's automotive operations, in exchange for GM selling Cerberus its remaining 49% stake in GMAC.

According to the Journal, GM believes it could save as much as $10 billion in costs with a merger with Chrysler.

There are a multitude of logistical, legal and financial hurdles that a merger between these companies, which along with Ford (F: 1.99, -0.09, -4.32%) comprise Detroit's Big Three auto makers, would have to go through for a merger to make financial sense.

Labor unions for both companies would have to sign off on the merger, possibly similar to the recent mergers between major airlines. There also are dozens of car and truck factories scattered across the nation and the world that would have to be consolidated.In addition, GM would be taking on troubled operations, and more brands and dealers, at a time when it's trying to fix its own operations and streamline its own set of nameplates and dealers.

The report said that even if talks with GM fall through, Cerberus will likely continue to seek a buyer for Chrysler. As recently as last month, Cerberus had said it was in talks with Daimler (DAI: 30.45, -1.15, -3.63%) to buy its remaining 19.9% stake in Chrysler. Cerberus would be expected to keep Chrysler's financing arm if a deal does happen, the Journal said.

GM's stock fell to nearly a 60-year low this week after rating agency Standard & Poor's said it was looking into downgrading GM's long-term debt rating. With the credit markets in such bad shape as they are, and GM's debt rating poor already, a rating downgrade would be detrimental to the survival of GM.

Chrysler has had to shut factories in recent months because of a lack of demand for the car company's trucks and minivans. The company has been shopping itself to a few different global auto makers for the past few months, including Nissan and Renault.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Hmmm....interesting!!! We'll see what happens...... :popcorn:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Holden and Chrysler considering a merger? Intriguing! Sorry about indicating ' Holden'. I comprehend that GM is the american division of holden. Actually some of the holden enthusiasts down under have a chevy badge on their rear boot lid.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
stone said:
Holden and Chrysler considering a merger? Intriguing! Sorry about indicating ' Holden'. I comprehend that GM is the american division of holden. Actually some of the holden enthusiasts down under have a chevy badge on their rear boot lid.
:doh: :confused:

Ummm...Holden is a foriegn operation of General Motors.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
It seems that GM is asking to buy Chrysler using Government funding. In other words, we the taxpayer will buy it for them. And then, they will sell off Jeep as a part and parcel of Hummer. Win, win for GM. Loose, loose for us the taxpaying customer. I vote no.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looks like GM and Chrysler didn't merge...but Chrysler ended up with Fiat, not all bad, we did get 2 awesome SuperBowl commercials from them :yes:

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but the thought of Fiats coming to the US again does not have me eagerly waiting with anticipation. Fiat was supposed to turn Chrysler around, but from what I've read, Chrysler is operating in the black, and Fiat is in the red. Looks like Chrysler is saving Fiat.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Jay2TheRescue said:
I don't know about anyone else, but the thought of Fiats coming to the US again does not have me eagerly waiting with anticipation. Fiat was supposed to turn Chrysler around, but from what I've read, Chrysler is operating in the black, and Fiat is in the red. Looks like Chrysler is saving Fiat.
One major reason for Fiat doing so poorly is because of the way the Eurpoean economy is in the tank now, like ours was/is. It'll just be a matter of time before water finds its level.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This would be the best thing ever.

Every truck owner knows, Cummins (Dodge diesel) are the best diesel engines, and that Allison transmissions are the best transmissions (Chevy) So it would make one helluva long lasting truck. I know they won't make something like that for a long while... but my hopes are up.

Also, a SRT-10 Sonic would be amazing...

(I'm dreaming here folks)

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
Back when I was 1st Lieutenant at the rescue squad I ordered an ambulance on an International chassis with a Cat turbo diesel and an Allison pushbutton automatic. That was one sweet ride.

·
Registered
370 Posts
braaap said:

Every truck owner knows, Cummins (Dodge diesel) are the best diesel engines, and that Allison transmissions are the best transmissions (Chevy) So it would make one helluva long lasting truck. I know they won't make something like that for a long while... but my hopes are up.

You do realize this thread was started in '08...this isn't recent :lol:

·
Registered
323 Posts
0Escape5 said:
braaap said:

You do realize this thread was started in '08...this isn't recent :lol:
It could be started in 1998 I wouldn't care

Just thinking about if Dodge and Chevy did merge together... Would be pretty sweet if they planned the outcome.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Jay2TheRescue said:
Fiat :/
Abarth :O

·
Registered
61 Posts
While looking for a new vehicle a couple of week ago (when I bought my Escape) I was looking around the Fullerton dealerships (Volvo, Ford, Dodge/Chrysler, & Fiat) in Somerville, NJ, they must of had 100's of Fiat 500's around, yet I think I've only seen one or two on the road in northern NJ.
Just finished reading "Once Upon a Car" by Bill Vlasic (Christmas gift from Dad). Very interesting - covers all the goings on at the big 3 in the mid - late 2000's.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Jay2TheRescue said:
Our tax dollars at work. If they had to pay for the debt that was Chrysler's, the bottomline would be decidedly different. As it is, they aren't paying off all that is owed. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts