Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody
I havnt been on in awhile and thought id just update yall on what im planning to do

2 Sundays ago i had the unfortunate chance of having a meeting between my escape and a deer on a back road. Caused about 2gs worth of damage (thank heaven that i have insurance)

So when i get her back from the shop i think its time for some new upgrades

looking at getting this grille guard so any more surprise meetings wont damage my car or as badly
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 959wt_1167

and this roof rack to go on top
http://www.autoanything.com/roof-racks/ ... x?kc=ffsku

planning on mounting 2 off road lights on the grille guard and 2 or 4 on the roof rack

shoot me some recommendations on the brand of lights if there are any i need to avoid or certain ones i should get and if anyone has any experience in wiring some advise would be great.

also planning on getting some off road tires if anyone has recommendations on that too

thanks in advance, hope to hear from yall soon
and dont worry ill keep yall updated on how things go

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
That brush guard is nice for that price. I know a few guys on here like theirs, just not sure what types/ brands they used. As for the roof rack looks good. I've been brought up on KC lights and that is the only light I would use. But I've used them since the beginning of time and I would imagine there are plenty of brands that are less $$ and just as durable. Airmapper has written a few things re: brush guards I believe. I think he has had two different types.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks a lot for the response and recommendation.
Will definitely look up KC lights and see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hello moldham,

Megascape is correct, I've had 2 brush guards, and it appears your looking at one just like my current one, which has been my favorite of the 2 because it looks better and mounts more securely in my opinion. My first one mounted to just the tow hooks, and they are not very stout. My current one mounts with both a bolt in the tow hook and one directly into the frame running along the bottom. You will have to cut away part of the little air shroud running under the front end.

This was my first one, and while it served it's purpose, it sticks out the front too much and is easy to hit on things, and the mounting isn't as secure so it budges out of place easier. I used to whack it on things all the time, and I think it was just because it was designed poorly and hung low, I don't bump things with my current one as much.

Despite the design, it did do it's job well, I hit a cow in the road at night and drove home:

I'd say it's main protection is it spreads damage out across the front, if you hit something big it will come back and dent up your front quarter panels and hood. However, it does protect the more expensive bits under the hood, your radiator will probably survive as mine did. I think it makes the difference between driving it home or getting towed. I've not hit a deer yet with it, so I don't know how it handles that, I'd say it would keep damage to a minimum.

Here are pics of mine installed, it looks to be just like the one you are looking at on Ebay:

If your going for the "Off road" look I will recommend lots and lots of MUD to complete the transformation. :D

And here are my lights, nothing too bright but they do light up the sides of the road somewhat. I didn't know this at first, but some states regulate what lights you can have on your vehicle. Here in KY I think mine are fully legal as they are the same height as the headlights. If you have a lot of lights, "legally" you may have to keep them covered when on the road. I don't know what the rules are in your state, but I do know in some states (I think NY and CA, but they are weird on everything) law enforcement does pull over off road vehicles for having them uncovered. I think the idea is you have the ability to really make a statement to other drivers who won't dim their lights.

Mine are wired directly to the battery, and I have a manual switch under the steering wheel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my 02 Escape. Although i'm not doing the brush guard, i'm doing the push bar with skid plate under. Has anyone put one on? What brands are better than others? I installed the fog lights myself in the "space" provided so I won't be putting on any extra lights.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey airmapper,
thanks a lot for the suggestion and the newest grill guard looks great on your escape
sadly virginia is probably one of the strictest states with anything dealing with cars so while not off road i will need to have them all covered :(
and that stinks about the cow but looks like you handled it pretty well and got a better looking guard.
well now im looking forward to ordering all this and getting it installed

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
look around, Westin is a big name and usually run a few bucks more then some others that have a better mounting system. Look up JC Whitney. There are tons of bull bars that are readily avail for the Escapes. that is pretty much the only product that allows you to have more then one option.

I use a Westin bull bar but added some extra brackets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts