Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a used escape looking into 05 or newer. Is the 4x4 worth it or is it something else that can break downthe line? I live in the south and am guessing I might get use out of it 10-15 a year with the little snow we get. I also wondered what I shoudl look at as far as problems with an escape with about 100,000 since most cars I have seen are about that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They come in 4 cyl and 6 cyl. From what I hear, the 6 is the better bet. Without 4WD, it still has FWD which is pretty good in the snow anyway. I think 4 cyl or 6 cyl is the more important question for you. 100k is no problem if it was well maintained.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The 2005 and newer Escapes have the so-called "intelligent system" that is computer controlled. This systems works fine and engages your rear wheels into a 4WD daily from every stop-even if the pavement is dry. It engages the 4WD action with the press of the accelerator and will automatically disengage the 4WD action as one cruises along the highway. There are no buttons or dials to operate. You can pull the 4WD fuse if you chose to do so. This topic has been discussed in detail here and elsewhere by various members and documented by several different pieces of consumer hardware such as a scanguage II.

·
Registered
157 Posts
volleybiggs said:
I live in the south and am guessing I might get use out of it 10-15 a year with the little snow we get.
Every time it rains you'll get use out of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts