Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a nice set of component speakers for my 2005 Mariner. Im looking fo something that will last, sounds great, and isn't really expensive but not dirt cheap either. So lets here your suggestion.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
krider450 said:
Im looking for a nice set of component speakers for my 2005 Mariner. Im looking fo something that will last, sounds great, and isn't really expensive but not dirt cheap either. So lets here your suggestion.
I'll use my tried-and-true method...here's a survey I'd like you to fill out:

Copied:

For budget - keep in mind a good system starts with a "big picture" point of view. Therefore, all systems will need various ancillaries that can't be avoided (deadening, wiring, etc.), so a COMPLETE from the ground up system sometimes runs higher then you might see advertisements for in your local paper. I can build something worthwhile as low as ~$550 or so, depending on the car. Keep in mind, there are significant advantages to raising your budget. More power, more clarity, better efficiency, less wasted space, more features, etc. all come into play. And with all things, you MUST PAY TO PLAY. Equipment from systems will probably outlast the car and might go into your next car or two, so keep in mind that it is an investment not just throw-away money.

Your needs for space - I value, above all else in systems I build, usable space left over. I think even the most powerful and showy system still deserves to be livable in a daily driver. If you are building a show car, my thread isn't for you, this is all about stealthy and hidden daily driver solutions, where possible.

Your musical preference - we all listen to different music and at differing volumes. A while back, I composed a list of "this or that" and a sliding spectrum between the polar opposites, and I'd like you to use it to help me figure out what you expect. Here's the list:

Laid Back - 1 2 3 4 5 - In your face

Detailed/Intricate - 1 2 3 4 5 - Smooth and blending/ambient

Loud - 1 2 3 4 5 - Subdued

Concert/Live sound - 1 2 3 4 5 - DJ/Premixed Sound (meaning, do you prefer your music live and natural, or more pre-recorded and boosted in some areas to accentuate the music?)

For the dollar, whatever that number might be:
Power/volume 1 2 3 4 5 Clarity/Detail

Next, tell me your favorite genres of music to go along with these scales.

Lastly, do you care about rear passengers and their sound? Yes/No

One more thing...If you have ANY audio gear now that you'd consider using, list it.

I've found with these essentials understood, I can usually provide some suggestions that will impress as a total package. GO!

---

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rap, Hip Hop, Counrty, Rock, Metal
I dont really care for the rear passengers
I have a Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD HU already installed, and i have a set of Polk Audio MM571 Coaxal speakes for the rear but not installed yet

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Staying totally neutral in the 3's, and one 4, you know the MM or upper line of Polk is a really fine choice. If you went with a matching set of components (not coaxials), and amplified them properly in deadened doors, you'd probably be quite happy. If you were less neutral I would lean towards Pioneer's TSD line, or on the other end, the JBL GTi line.

Polks are pretty efficient but they like power. With proper deadening and all that, you will probably love them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've heard alot of good things about the MM's. But finding a Good pair of components that aren't gonna beak my bank is hard to find plus i don't wanna go cheap becasue i already have the MM's so going cheap components would be stupid.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Wait, did you just talk yourself into the MM's, or out of the MM's? That post was more than a little confusing.. :lol:

Anyway, they are probably the way to go. Just invest in an amp ASAP, and power up those fronts. The rears should ideally be quite subdued, mellowed out. I also advise you use the A-pillar to mount the tweeter for the components. I'm having better luck with the A-pillar over the door sill for front stage depth and height. Seems win-win given pillars are a cheap replacement part if you end up selling the vehicle. Cheaper than a door panel!

Edit, found the MM's for $170 on eBay (8% cashback makes them a sweet deal IMO), and millionbuy.com sells them for $179 free shipping.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well since 5x7 component speakes are hard to find how would I make a plate to use 6 in components? Because we all know round speakers sound better then oval ones.

·
Registered
679 Posts
sinister mob said:
You can purchase 5x7 to 6.5" adaptors or have them made. Or make them out of a plastic cutting board.
I bought 5x7 to 6.5 adapters and were to small from 2 different shops, so i had to make my own.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Marine-grade plywood is also a suitable baffle adapter.

Always run round if you can, less non-linear distortion that way.

·
Registered
836 Posts
andjayik said:
I bought 5x7 to 6.5 adapters and were to small from 2 different shops, so i had to make my own.
Wow. What are the chances of that? My local place made up a pair when they built my box and they fit like a glove. :)P

·
Registered
679 Posts
exactly, made up a pair.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where can i buy them or get a template to make them

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Simply take an outline of the original speaker 5x7, and make it a little larger than that. Then cut a circle in the center so your round speaker plops right in. This is easy, don't over-complicate it. You may need to counter-sink some screws a bit so the screws don't interfere with the speaker on top.

Adapters take me roughly 10 minutes to make per side, including spraying them with sound deadening spray which is also water proof. After the baffle is installed, you seal the baffle up against the door using sound deadening material. IMO you should not even be in the door unless you plan on installing sound deadening material!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the template for 6 1/2 speakers or 6 3/4 speakes?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Any size you want. YOU make them, so its totally up to you. 1/4" (1/8" per side) is easy to get..just a bit more jig saw work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey fourthmeal,

i am looking for a good set of 6.5 components for my front doors. i currently have a zxkicker 350.4 amp with a cvt 8" sub in factory enclosure and 5x7 alpine type s 2way coxials in the front doors. the system sounds pretty decent but i would like some more clarity and mid bass up front. so, i want to get a good set of 6.5 components with crossovers and put my alpine's in the back doors. is there any sound problems with using both components and coxials in the same system? i might end up getting another amp as well if i need to.. so anyways, im looking for something with nice clean crisp tight sound. also, ive seen some component sets with angle basket mounting for the tweeter inside of the woofer. do you think this would be a good choice given the location of the door speakers? it would send the highs upwards instead of into your knees i guess... also i want quality stuff, i dont mind spending some dough on them. suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! i listen to mostly rock and house/electro.

thanks again.

brett

1 - 17 of 17 Posts