Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: I had to get rid of my Cooper All Terrains. Had my car service done today, and all the bulbs for high/low beam including parking and driving lights were upgraded. All of the lights are now fitted with NARVA " Arctic Blue " globes. Their kelvin rating is 3,500. Have been for a test drive, and the results and performance are sensational.

When the car was up on hoist, the inside rear end tire walls had rub marks. There were corresponding rub marks on both rear shocker struts. HMMMM! UH OH! I knew exactly what that meant. The mechanic also noticed the problem, as it related to the 235 width of my cooper tires being too wide. Unfortunately the 235/70 R16 Coopers had too much width.. There was not enough tolerance, in between the shocker strut and inner wall of rear tires. :cry:

Fortunately it was only a minor service, and was completed at 12.30 p.m. I henceforth ventured to my local tire dealer, and made an appointment for new tires. Explained the problem to them ,and they immediately understood the safety consequences. It was something they overlooked originally, but also i should have been more observant, about possible dilemmas induced by too wide a tire. :bang:

Yes, i realise its an expensive way to learn and also very awkward. It appears i have to be ,very selective about the width of tires on the escape. Anyway had to go back to the original factory specified size of 215/70 R16. My tire dealer has fitted a set of MAXXIS 760 BRAVO H/T tires. Their size is the recommended spec of 215/70 R16 for my escape.

They wheel aligned and balanced them. The thing i like, is that there is raised white lettering on my tires. For some reason,the tire producer is using a lot bigger text, as opposed to the size letters used by the Ohio Findlay manufacturer. The lettering is quite huge and bold. Not sure of the size in text but it is rather large.

Not exactly discreet but very obvious. :) :happy: :lol: :lol: On all four tires, the raised white letters are quite bold and rather big. The indication on tires is " MAXXIS H/T BRAVO 760 " Obviously the H/T would be significant as in highway terrain. Went for a long test drive. Nothing too severe. Possibly only a modest average of 450 kms. :lol: :lol: It was a mix of adelaide ,and then i ventured out to the northern wheat belt.

Then i finished the test cruise, with a leisurely drive around the Mt. Lofty ranges. Quite happy with the MAXXIS tires. Yes, they are very smooth and comfortable. Also being a highway tire acceptably quiet. They seem to be accurate enough, as regards braking and cornering plus general road handling.

Just for that final touch, i chose some coloured tire valve caps. These caps are like an iridescent, mettalic blue pearl type hue. So with the new tires, and bold raised lettering plus coloured caps, " My Little Tonka " escape presents a :) :happy: :happy: pretty image.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Isn't 235/70R16 the stock tire size for the upper trim levels on a North American Escape?

·
Registered
679 Posts
:pics: :pics: :pics: :pics: :pics: :pics: :pics:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hey Stone how are you mate?

We have had Maxis 751's on the Tribby for the last 100,000kms. They still have heaps of tread left on them. You wont be dissapointed :thumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmmm... Im surprised. Thats for an zc hey?

That may be a PITA. I was planning on 255/55/18's - as I had on my ZA. Maxxis as well

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry about the delay everyone. I will submit the Maxxis tire photos in the " Products Review" If the lettering on tires is a bit hard to focus on, i can guess that most of you will have zooming in software. You will not have to zoom in much.

Sorry that i couldn't take photos closer. With a telescopic zoom lens this is awkward. I actually had to do the usual standing a long way back, and focus in with my Nikon zoom lens. Have only taken day shots. There are some night photos, but they are not up to standard. Night photography is a struggle for me. So henceforth, i am a lot more confident with day shots.

Quite aware that reasonable night shots are possible. But for this i need extra lighting equipment. Those extra lighting gadgets are quite expensive. I am not ready to go there for a long time. Anyway it is only a hobby. This explains why i have more success, and peace of mind with daytime photos. :)

Hello Nigel !. Yes, sorry that it's dissapointing. I can guarantee, that my Cooper width aspect of 235 was rubbing against rear shocker strut. The mechanic noticed that there wasn't enough tolerance, when escape was up on hoist. There was a definite rubbing on tire, and the shocker strut had exactly the corresponding tire rub mark on it. :confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts

Escape with 255/55/18's, and Ford BA XR8 18 Wheels (Ford Performance Aus Wheel). Maaxis MA751's I think

Miss those.... But they did set the car off nicely. Thats the old Escape.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts