Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use these tires during the winter months:

These have the snowflake and mountain symbol on them and work as advertised. My previous vehicles were front wheel drive wagons that used dedicated snow tires during the winter months. After two seasons of use, these snow tire's tread was worn out. I have had the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tread tires on for a third season and they show very little wear. They have a 60,000 mile warranty. I do a lot of nordic skiing during the winter months and freequently travel out of my region. The negatives include "noise" and increased rolling resistance (loss of mpg of 1-1.5mpg) when compared to the stock EcoPlus tires.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like them very much for the cold and snow months. They handle and ride much better than dedicated snow tires. Go to tirerack.com for reviews by many other individuals.

·
Registered
157 Posts
US MARINER 1 said:
How are those Goodyear tires? I'm going to be buying a set for my truck and just wanted some info.
Pretty darn good in the snow/ice, really good in the wet and 100% better than the Contis in the dry. Way quieter than the Contis too.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have the Assurance TripleTred tires on my Cavalier and have been so pleased with them I will likely be getting the Fortera TripleTred tires for our Escape whenever the Michelin Latitude Touring tires that are currently on there are worn out. Either that or the Wrangler SilentArmor, still not sure. I have had the TripleTreds on my Cavvy since August 2006. 35,000 miles later they still grip like velcro, are AMAZING in rain and snow, and are well within spec for treadwear. Goodyear NAILED IT for the TripleTreds, best tires I have ever used so far.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
The only possible problem with the TT's (and Fortera tires in General) is tread life. Ride and handling in all weather conditions is very good. My neighbor had the TT's and the lasted about 40,000 miles. He called TireRack and they gave him a pro-rated credit towards some new tires. He ended up getting Michelin's.

I had the Fortera's with Silent Armor. They handled very good in all weather conditions and were extremely quiet. I thought they had a good ride until I got my new tires, Firestone Destination LE's, which have a comparatively fantastic ride. Again, my only problem with my Forteras was they wore out in around 40k miles when they had a 70k rating.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
When I was searching for new tires for Ean I mentioned the TT's to the service guy. He told me for the region I am in and Ean being 4x4 they would be a bit much for him. So basically extra money spent when I could go a step down and still be fine. Went with Goodyear Assurance tires. They are amazing. The ride is so much quieter and I haven't had any problems this winter getting around. Well, I didn't have problems last winter either on the Conti's with about 2 feet more snow :lol: Ean is just a beast I guess. But I am happy with the Goodyears I got. :thumb:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Thanks for the review BillyK. :thumb:

Do " KUMHO " tires have a good reputation?.
My current set of " MAXXIS ", are getting low on tread life.
They are still at the safe level.

But i have noticed, they are not very quiet on the road.
Recently visited my local tire fitting workshop.
Told the rep that i am, eventually interested in a quiet set of tires.

I mentioned to him, that they need to be reasonably quiet.
The tire rep , recommended the " KUMHO " brand to me.
On the net, there are many conflicting reviews.

Some people appear to be, very happy with their KUMHO'S.
But others, gave a tire review that was extremely negative.
It appears that KUMHO, manufacture off road tires also.
I have plenty of time, to do more tire research.

Anyway my future set of tires, must have raised lettering.
Obviously, the most important factors will be: 'Overall tire life'
'Safe traction plus handling accuracy'.
' Comfortable, but also must be quiet'.

·
Registered
157 Posts
RobtRoma said:
Again, my only problem with my Forteras was they wore out in around 40k miles when they had a 70k rating.
40k miles is ~8 years for me :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
stone: Most Kumho tires have excellent ratings. I have Kumho's on my Bullitt, using them to replace my Goodyear Gatorbacks (aka skaterbacks). Very sticky, high mileage tire. Perfect for a sport coupe. As to the Escape application, I would probably buy the same tire for my wife's Tribute except that they are not made for SUV's. I'd have to look at a different model of Kumho tire and don't really know if the knowledge and capability of one tire transfer over to the other. You might check out Discount Tire dot com just for giggles to see if the Kumho tire sold here is the same as there. Then determine if the ratings are what you want in a tire. They are a less expensive tire and in some parameters you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I replaced the Conti's on my "02 Escape with Kuhmo KR21s. Tread life so far is excellent, they are very quiet and smooth and they stick very well, especially in the wet. I told the rep at discount tire what I wanted...quiet, smooth and good grip...he suggested the Kuhmos and I'm glad I got them. They do come in raised letters although I got the blackwalls. :yes:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Kumho and Hankook are both Korean tire companies with great reputations - just be sure that the specific tire you buy isn't made in China...as both of these companies have facilities in China. Tire Rack's spec sheet on any tire will tell you the country of manufacture.

We have Hankook winter tires on my Wife's car and they are great...a good value compared to comparable Michelin/Bridgestone/Goodyear etc. My sister uses Kumho winter tires on her 4-Runner and swears by them - she does a 50 mile commute right from Fort Erie through the southern Tier snow belt south of Buffalo (she is a ski instructor in Ellicottville) and swears by the Kumhos getting her home some nights.

I would buy them. I am a big fan of Michelin/BFG, Hankook, Kumho, and Pirelli after spending 15 years in the business. Bridgestone/Firestone make some good ones, some bad ones, ditto for goodyear

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
That's good advise from kmoose. I forgot to mention that they do mfg. in China...but then again, I'm not too sure that the other mfgrs don't as well. :shrug:

·
Registered
72 Posts
The majority of Goodyear, Kelly and Cooper are made in the U.S.A. The other large brands are all overseas companies.
That is why I buy Goodyear. And the triple treads are excellent tires, especially in snow and rain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts