Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever been looking on eBay, whilst drunk ???

Have you ever bid on an item whilst drunk ???

WELL I :censor: DID !!!

And guess what, I won the item :worry: :worry:

Ok, it was a Thule Lappland roofrack that I won, got it for £60.00, not bad considering that a new one costs £275.00 from Halfords.

However, being drunk meant that I didn't check first to see if it would fit the Maverick, and where the item was located. :doh: :doh: :cuss: :cuss:

Anyhow, yesterday we had to endure a family wedding in Lancaster, as my son was required to be a pageboy, so we went there via Liverpool to collect the roofrack, which put an extra 150 miles on the journey, but it was worth it.
However, the roofrack fastenings don't fit the Mavericks roofbars, which is typical, so at the moment it held on by a couple of ratchet straps, until I can get my braincell in gear, and being Sunday, I don't hold out much hope of that happening :blush:

Anyhow, here's a few pictures of the day.......

The venue, in Lancaster...

The view from the venue, overlooking Lancaster, with Morecambe Bay, and the Lake District in the background

The wedding car, a 55year old Bentley.

Here's my son, in his pageboy outfit..

And relaxing in the hotel bar at the end of a long day

Finally, the Maverick with its new roofrack, next to my Dads Range Rover Sport..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Smashing photos there. I like the new roof rack :thumb:

The Rangie and Mav look great... dunno bout that Vectra in the middle though :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Check online with Thule, it's probably just some different mounting hardware is all...Hopefully just a few bucks will remedy the situation. Sounds like a pretty good deal if it works out!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tribby said:
Smashing photos there. I like the new roof rack :thumb:

The Rangie and Mav look great... dunno bout that Vectra in the middle though :lol:
Well, the vauxhall Vectra is the 2.0 CD Estate, owned by an elderly relative from new, they bought it back in 1998, and don't intend replacing it for another 5 years... :shock:
Its only got 22,500 on the clock, and is in mint condition, but they only change cars every 15 years or so.
Will try and get piccies of it when I see them again.

The roofrack is nice, but unsure of the aluminium finish, would it look better in black, to match the roofbars?? :shrug: :confused:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's what the roofrack looks like on the Maverick.. :shades:

And here's the problem, the U-bolts are too narrow to clamp around the roofbar :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
you can fix that easy enough. just buy bigger U bolts. and use a piece of flat stock steel over top of the mounting point on your rack. almost like an exhaust clamp.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, thats the plan, and is what I've now done, total cost £2.55, the Thule way, using their parts, would have been a total cost of £170.00 :shock: :shock: :stop:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Yes, thats the plan, and is what I've now done, total cost £2.55, the Thule way, using their parts, would have been a total cost of £170.00 :shock: :shock: :stop:
Crap! 170 Pounds! TOO MUCH!

You really did good then! :clap: Go have a pint on me! :yes:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jonas1022 said:
camusdarrach said:
Crap! 170 Pounds! TOO MUCH!

You really did good then! :clap: Go have a pint on me! :yes:
Already done that !!! :beer: :beer: ;)

And a better view of the roof rack..

Still think the roofrack will look better painted black.............

Or will it................ :confused: :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,585 Posts
I agree that the roof rack would look better painted black. :rockon: :shades:

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
I like it. I have the ROLA rack and it's starting to rust. Nice Roller in pics.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I can't say that I would paint it. But I'm with him ^^^^. Loose the Thule stickers if you can. A little blow dryer and razor blade action should do the trick to the truck! :yes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts