Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
235/70/16, stock tire size, General Grabber AT2. They are a similar tread to the BFG ATs but about half the price. Plus I'm sure they are a better tire since the BFGs are junk.I got these $97 each vs $173 ea for the BFG. :roll: I've read alot of reviews on these Generals and seen guys with F250s are getting 60-70k miles outa them. And the reviews were almost all good and for the performance aspects I was looking for in a tire, these had excellent ratings.

I have not installed them yet, I have them sitting in the parts room at work. One of these Saturdays I'll get up early and head into work and mount them. And I picked up new strut tops and bearings from Ford a couple weeks ago as the originals are shot and they clunk and rattle over every lil bump so I'll put them in at the same time. Just gotta figure out which day to do it which will be a saturday our alignment tech can come in to do the alignment. I've done alignments before, back like 12 years ago, but our machine is all laser and I haven't a clue how to use it :lol: The one I used to use was all strings and wires.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I bought Grabber UHPs, the high performance street tire from General, and I really like them. Great tire for the street and a great price. I hope you like the ATs as much as I like these UHPs...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
megascape, Keep in mind, this is just 1 mans experience and opinion.

I've never had any luck with any BFG tire I've had. I had Comp Ta's (don't remember which) on my IrocZ, Very poor traction (for what was to be expected of them) and didn't last, Radial TAs on both my old 82 cutlass and 89 camaro RS v8, even worse traction, and Dad had Radial ATs on his F150 4x4, poor traction in the snow and were horrible in the rain. They just spun and rear constantly slid out even when just coasting around corners. Now I will admit BFGs look great and most last well if you can keep em from spinning all the time. So due to all this, I will never waste my money on a BFG tire again. Shame though cause I do love the looks. Now I know the new BFG AT km2 is spossed to be a much better tire than the old ATs dad had, But a buddy of mine with an F250 only 30K out of his before having to replace all 4. but he did say they had good traction but they just didn't last. I have since ran various other lesser expensive tires and got better tire mileage and performance. I love Yokohama and Hankook, and my F150 gets nothing but Super Swampers.

But yes, I'll definitely have pics when I put them on.

Ajax, I've heard alot of good about them UHPs. I even looked at them and considered them briefly. But for my needs of the scape, the ATs seemed the better choice. Now if I ever get a second set of rim, and get some tires to run outside of winter, it'll be those.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Oh I understand it's just a comment. I have just never heard that in my off-road exp.(off-raoding since 1986 and this is my first single speed tranny. i'm surprised at how well it does. i wish it had a solid frame).....................
But i actually prefer Firestone ATX or Destinations over the BFG A/T's, pretty much over any A/T.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everyone likes different things for different reasons. I've just had bad experiences with BFGs. But I remember Dad did say the only time he took the truck out on the trails, The BFGs did pretty good in mud and muck. But for street duty he didn't like them other than they lasted forever. :lol:

Another tire I like, and they are affordable too, are Procomp tires. I had the mud terrains on my F150 before I went swamper, and really liked them. Then I put a set of all terrains on Mom explorer because she kept complaining bout poor traction with the Goodyear RTS's and she loves the ProComp ATs, Barely even needs the 4x4 in the snow now. They are priced about halfway in between the BFGs and Generals. But Procomp doesn't have a 235/70/16. They have 225/70/16 and then 235/85/16 (way too tall) :rant: Otherwise I would have gotten them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Only negative feedback I've ever heard about BFG AT's was from the mudding guys. They said the tires weren't very good about self cleaning.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I remember out in New Mexico i came across a set of Cooper (something) and we traded the ATX (Destinations) for the Coopers one trip. They were nice and the traction was great. Never got to try them on the street. That was in 89 or around there but I've not seen them since. Are they still around?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Offroadford4x4 said:
235/70/16, stock tire size, General Grabber AT2. They are a similar tread to the BFG ATs but about half the price. Plus I'm sure they are a better tire since the BFGs are junk.I got these $97 each vs $173 ea for the BFG. :roll: I've read alot of reviews on these Generals and seen guys with F250s are getting 60-70k miles outa them. And the reviews were almost all good and for the performance aspects I was looking for in a tire, these had excellent ratings.

I have not installed them yet, I have them sitting in the parts room at work. One of these Saturdays I'll get up early and head into work and mount them. And I picked up new strut tops and bearings from Ford a couple weeks ago as the originals are shot and they clunk and rattle over every lil bump so I'll put them in at the same time. Just gotta figure out which day to do it which will be a saturday our alignment tech can come in to do the alignment. I've done alignments before, back like 12 years ago, but our machine is all laser and I haven't a clue how to use it :lol: The one I used to use was all strings and wires.
nice looking tread pattern :thumb:
i have comp t/a's n the ranger and bridgestone duelers on the escape

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I had to finally do the tires, the old ones were wearing down the wear bars now :roll:

I love the look, they seem to drive nice (about 25 miles so far on them) but having a stone driveway and knobby tires kinda sux, These pic up stones just like my swampers on my 150 only smaller and as you drive down the road you just hear "tick tick tick tick tick tick tick ...." :lol: At least the swampers will toss em out a few hundred yards down the road but these don't. They just keep hanging on to them. :worry:

·
Registered
384 Posts
megascape said:
I remember out in New Mexico i came across a set of Cooper (something) and we traded the ATX (Destinations) for the Coopers one trip. They were nice and the traction was great. Never got to try them on the street. That was in 89 or around there but I've not seen them since. Are they still around?
Cooper is still around and makes a pretty good tire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.