Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a big fan of all the Chrome since grew up in the monochrome 80's. I know that I am in the minority based on most of the posts... LOL! Currently, my 09 Escape looks like this...

During my year long search for my Escape (It had to have the dark charcoal interior AND not be any shade of silver/gray/black... severely limiting my choices) I noticed that some '08 Limiteds had a body colored grill and bumper. This is the look that I would prefer...

Does anyone know if Ford sells these parts pre-painted? I really don't want to have my chrome parts painted since they would take a beating, eventually exposing the chrome. Just looking for some thoughts/suggestions.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Can't answer your question, but I understand your feelings about chrome. My '09 Limited has the big front chrome piece and the chrome clad wheels. At first I didn't care for all the chrome, but now I like it and I feel it sets off the dark color of the car. A little bit of bling makes my Escape feel somewhat unique amongst all the stock Escapes on the road (I recently read the Escape is the second highest selling CUV just behind the Honda).

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I like chrome grills, because they seem to create a balance. The color coded, escape looks allright in the 2nd photo down.

But then it is your choice Marty. All about personal preference. It will be what makes you happy, and that is the main criteria. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know several of my cobra parts are available pre-painted and actually got some. I went to tousleyfordparts.com who us SVT guys use for the 10% over list pricing and I only see primed or chrome available.

·
Registered
679 Posts
always like the bling!! :wave:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
If you really like the monochrome look go for the paint job. First sand the chrome off...then prime and paint. I'm sure there are others here more qualified than I about the actual process and they can post that up if they see the thread. I wouldn't let a few stone chips stop me from painting the grill if I wanted it that way... :peace:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
jonas1022 said:
If you really like the monochrome look go for the paint job. First sand the chrome off...then prime and paint. I'm sure there are others here more qualified than I about the actual process and they can post that up if they see the thread. I wouldn't let a few stone chips stop me from painting the grill if I wanted it that way... :peace:
and you can get clear coat in a rattle can.

then wax the crap out of it to help heep the chips down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
MustangMarty said:
I am not a big fan of all the Chrome since grew up in the monochrome 80's. I know that I am in the minority based on most of the posts... LOL! Currently, my 09 Escape looks like this...

During my year long search for my Escape (It had to have the dark charcoal interior AND not be any shade of silver/gray/black... severely limiting my choices) I noticed that some '08 Limiteds had a body colored grill and bumper. This is the look that I would prefer...

Does anyone know if Ford sells these parts pre-painted? I really don't want to have my chrome parts painted since they would take a beating, eventually exposing the chrome. Just looking for some thoughts/suggestions.
I just bought an 08, and it looks like it's the same color as yours - light sage?
Anyway, mine is the way you want yours - all painted, and yours is the way I want mine - chrome.
Too bad you're in Seattle and I'm in Pittsburgh... :doh:

·
Registered
79 Posts
you would be better off ordering the parts pre panted it has to be an option. For you to remove the chrome its more then just sanding. That stuff is electoplated on and must be removed with chemicals to get it back to the plastic. Not worth the effort I will say. I have removed chrome on smaller parts its not hard but for somthing that size it would be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.