Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Look at this picture showing the location of pins 18+19 on the ACM (radio) connector. If for some reason these are not there you will have to add them to the connector at the bottom of the steering column as described at the beginning of this thread. My 2008 has these wires present at the ACM connector even though the steering wheel did not come with the audio controls. But I haven't tried to use them yet so I'm not sure if they make it all the way up to the clock spring.

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/jpark6 ... a.jpg.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
bluto said:
I think it will work fine. The new wheel is not a 2008 because 2008 has the 'on-off' on the bottom and 'cst-' as the 2nd button up. After 2008, they do not have 'cst-'. All the wires look the same between your two connectors except for the extra wires on the new one. I would use your old cruise switch and then just plug everything in. If you are paranoid, try this before reconnecting the battery... With the wheel connected, connect multimeter to pins 18-19 on the radio connector. Then with the meter set in resistance mode, press the various buttons on the audio controls on the steering wheel. You should get a different resistance reading for each button. If that works, then your wheel swap is complete.
Hey thanks for answer so fast. Today i put the wires from the new steering to the cruise control switch on my steering wheel and it works great. I don't need to rewire anything. Just plug and play and all the buttons works just fine. The wire that i call "2A" it's for the power of the blue lights of the media switch control. Just one more question. How do i know wich pin is 18 or 19? Do you have a picture or something where i can see those pins and to that test? Let me know and thanks again!

·
Registered
36 Posts
bluto said:
Look at this picture showing the location of pins 18+19 on the ACM (radio) connector. If for some reason these are not there you will have to add them to the connector at the bottom of the steering column as described at the beginning of this thread. My 2008 has these wires present at the ACM connector even though the steering wheel did not come with the audio controls. But I haven't tried to use them yet so I'm not sure if they make it all the way up to the clock spring.

can't see the picture. photobucket says update account for 3rd party images :wall:

·
Registered
36 Posts
bluto said:

Is this the picture? Pins 18 and 19 right. I'll check that tomorrow if you confirm the picture.

·
Registered
36 Posts
bluto said:
I think it will work fine. The new wheel is not a 2008 because 2008 has the 'on-off' on the bottom and 'cst-' as the 2nd button up. After 2008, they do not have 'cst-'. All the wires look the same between your two connectors except for the extra wires on the new one. I would use your old cruise switch and then just plug everything in. If you are paranoid, try this before reconnecting the battery... With the wheel connected, connect multimeter to pins 18-19 on the radio connector. Then with the meter set in resistance mode, press the various buttons on the audio controls on the steering wheel. You should get a different resistance reading for each button. If that works, then your wheel swap is complete.
Ok. It's done. The buttons are working great but the one with the telephone isn't but it's not a big deal for me. All i want is volume and up and down. The pins were there and i did the multimeter resistence test and happens just like you said. I'm going to buy the adapter for aftermarket radio cuz mine is a double din pioneer and set up new leather for the steering wheel. Thanks a lot for your help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi! I'm new to modifying cars and the like. I have a 2008 Ford Escape (6-CD, no Audiophile, yes Sirius). If I just buy the 2009 radio, will I be able to use Bluetooth? If so, what does buying the SYNC kit & module do? I don't care about handsfree dialing or the media controls on the steering wheel, just being able to stream music.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hello and welcome. To get Bluetooth you need to have the sync module. The 2009 radio alone will not do it. The sync module (APIM) has the Bluetooth radio. So in order to make it work you need a 2009+ radio (with the phone button), the sync upgrade kit (for the 't' wiring harness, microphone, and external control button pad), and another APIM that was programmed for a 2009+ escape. The steering wheel controls are optional. If your satellite receiver is located under the passenger seat, your Sirius will continue to work the same as before. If not you have a radio with a built in satellite receiver. So your 2009+ radio must then also have the built in satellite receiver and you would have to transfer you Sirius service to it if you do the radio swap.

I go my 09 radio, sync kit, and programmed apim on ebay. I would recommend putting in a saved search for the sync kit part number on page 1 of this thread to email you when one is listed. They do come up for reasonable prices occasionally.

·
Registered
142 Posts
cravend said:
Hi! I'm new to modifying cars and the like. I have a 2008 Ford Escape (6-CD, no Audiophile, yes Sirius). If I just buy the 2009 radio, will I be able to use Bluetooth? If so, what does buying the SYNC kit & module do? I don't care about handsfree dialing or the media controls on the steering wheel, just being able to stream music.
I've used this Bluetooth add-in module (on my Toyota) and like it. In your Escape, you would need to verify the 16-pin connector on the back of the radio and an "AUX" button on the front. It's also possible that this would replace (remove) Sirius on your radio. I don't use the handsfree, just the streaming. My only disappointment is that there is no text information, but the play/pause and previous/next buttons on the radio still work with bluetooth. YMMV. This unit is sold by different sellers on eBay, and you might find them on Amazon (3rd party sellers).

·
Registered
526 Posts
This should work and keep the satellite radio intact. I can't find the exact image to link to but the external satellite receiver under the passenger seat (SDARS) and the AUX in port on the dash below the radio both come in on the 16 pin connector. SDARS should be pins 1, 2, 9, 10 and the AUX port should be pins 6, 7, 8, 14.

The product linked looks like a t-harness. It should just intercept the 4 aux port wires and pass the rest through uninterrupted. If it is on the wrong pins, some careful re-pinning would be possible to achieve the correct pin-out.

Edit: Best connector diagram I can find:
https://www.justanswer.com/ford/1lo09-need-correct-stereo-wiring-diagram-2008-ford-escape.html

·
Registered
526 Posts
You need to get the sync upgrade kit that comes with the harness. Set up a saved search on ebay for '9R3Z-14D212-A'. They come up from time to time for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all,

I just purchased a 2011 steering wheel with audio controls for my 2009 that doesn't have the audio controls by default. Something peculiar though, the cruise control buttons seem to be the 08 style as the resume button is on top and not the bottom like the newer style. My headunit has the phone button since the car is an 09, so ideally all I am trying to accomplish while refreshing my worn out wheel would be to add the audio controls for volume on the wheel. Don't care about the sync feature working.

What would be the easiest way to accomplish this? Should I swap the cruise control buttons and put the older style that's currently in the car on the new wheel? In order to get the audio controls working it sounds like I need to add pins 18 and 19 to clock spring and feed them into the harness for the headunit, correct? Or is this a little easier since I'm already an 09 although there seem to be discrepancies since I have the older cruise control so the harness could be different in the steering wheel end?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Swap your 08 controls. You may have the pins already. I just recovered a rear seat DVD from an 03 expedition for my neighbor. All 16 wires were run from the c-pillar to the radio that I found in the junk yard today that didn't already have rear DVD. Pull apart your steering where flashing and check.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just picked up the spare wiring harness I need to make everything work but am having a hell of a time getting that big airbag clip out to slip the old harness out and swap in the new one. How did you remove this without damaging it OP? I tried big pliers to release the tension then a prybar. No bueno :cry:

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had the same problem with the airbag retainer spring. I ended up de-pining the wires out of one end of the steering wheel harness. I think the harness is installed first at the factory (held down by the plastic clips) and the spring must have gone in after it. Take lots of pictures so you remember what wires go where in the connector.

·
Registered
13 Posts
bluto said:
I had the same problem with the airbag retainer spring. I ended up de-pining the wires out of one end of the steering wheel harness. I think the harness is installed first at the factory (held down by the plastic clips) and the spring must have gone in after it. Take lots of pictures so you remember what wires go where in the connector.
Dammit. Was hoping I wouldn't have to go that route lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So got everything installed last night but it appears the steering wheel controls are not plug and play on my 09. This car did not originally come with steering wheel controls but has a 09+ headunit with the 9L8T designation. Do I just need to add pins 18 and 19 to get this working? Is this harness everyone is talking about behind the steering wheel in the column that I need to tap into then run the pins to the radio harness?

21 - 40 of 78 Posts