Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Been a while since I posted, but here goes!

My '04 Escape XLT with the 3.0L V6 is currently throwing P0136 DTC. After doing some research, I completed a Voltage test on the connector for Bank 1 Sensor 2 with KOEO. My multimeter displayed "normal" voltages for 3 out of 4 pins, but on the 4th pin I tested, it read "1". This tells me that there is a break somewhere in the wiring for that particular conductor, correct? If so, I need to know how this harness runs to where it connects in with the ECU, so I can find the break and either A) fix it, or B) replace it. Anyone have any clues on this? Or some diagram I can reference, or better yet, pictures? Or will I have to pull the passenger front wheel off to see behind the motor? Thanks in advance. You guys are awesome! (y)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Reactions: Fyler1

·
Registered
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid
54 Posts
Hello everyone! Been a while since I posted, but here goes!

My '04 Escape XLT with the 3.0L V6 is currently throwing P0136 DTC. After doing some research, I completed a Voltage test on the connector for Bank 1 Sensor 2 with KOEO. My multimeter displayed "normal" voltages for 3 out of 4 pins, but on the 4th pin I tested, it read "1". This tells me that there is a break somewhere in the wiring for that particular conductor, correct? If so, I need to know how this harness runs to where it connects in with the ECU, so I can find the break and either A) fix it, or B) replace it. Anyone have any clues on this? Or some diagram I can reference, or better yet, pictures? Or will I have to pull the passenger front wheel off to see behind the motor? Thanks in advance. You guys are awesome! (y)
wiring is not my strong point, but I wonder if your (1) is the ground… you would have to find the other end of the wire in the harness to check for continuity, especially as a ground.

A wiring diagram should tell you if you are even barking up the right tree… if one of the wires is a ground… Either by color of the wire, or symbol attached.

good luck

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good point, the Wiring Diagram manual* has a "Connector Views" section which details each pin of every connector.

And, FWIW, that 4-pin connector on my 2010 has no ground. But it would be a mistake to assume the same for your 2004. You need to verify.

* - it does at least for the 2010 book. Assuming the 2004 will as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I ended up disconnecting the plug again, spraying it out with brake clean, and then applied some dielectric grease inside the plug, and it's been working fine since. The code has not returned, so I assume that the connections were just dirty. Thanks for your responses!!

Unless someone comes up with pics, you're probably best serviced by purchasing the wiring manual on ebay. They're plentiful and fairly cheap.

Here's just one of many out there: Sorry for the ugly link! But you can just search 2004 escape wiring manual on ebay.

2004 Ford Escape Wiring Diagrams Manual for electrical diagnosis & repair | eBay
As for this, I did not know this book existed. I will be purchasing one as soon as I can! Thank you so much!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
And if you prefer looking at things on a computer, the factory service CD/software is really cool:

You can search and buzz around to different sections and print stuff off. I used windows printscreen to create the jpeg that I linked above. One note of caution (that I'm not even sure if it still applies): The included software relies on some end of life software (maybe they've updated it since I got mine) so you may have to jump through a few hoops to install. I had to manually download that svgviewer software as explained in this link:

After installation, I copied the whole thing (5.4GB for my model) to a hard drive, and then edited the tsobrowswer.ini file to point to the hard drive instead of the DVD drive. So now it's really fast and I don't have to worry about losing or damaging the DVD anymore!

As to which is better- hardcopy or electronic- it's personal preference. I use both!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts