Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all our Canadian friends... HAPPY CANADA DAY.
:happy: :happy: :party: :party: :party: :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was in Whitehorse (Yukon) for Canada Day (which I still refer to as Dominion Day… guess I'm getting old) and spent Independence Day (4th July) in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Our 2005 FEH has now passed 120,000 kilometres on the odometer on this latest road trip through the far north (up to the Arctic Circle), and we've still got to make our way back south.

:thumb:

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
HybridArchitect said:
I was in Whitehorse (Yukon) for Canada Day (which I still refer to as Dominion Day… guess I'm getting old) and spent Independence Day (4th July) in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Our 2005 FEH has now passed 120,000 kilometres on the odometer on this latest road trip through the far north (up to the Arctic Circle), and we've still got to make our way back south.

Have a safe trip back home! Good to see you on the site. :)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
HybridArchitect said:

Sounds good H.A.! I suppose this means your going to post some photos from photograph opportunities that you have captured? :thumb:

Drive safe!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Happy B-Day to our Northern Neighbors!!

:woohoo: :party: :party: :woohoo:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I keep downloading the trip photos from my Nikon D300 to my MacBook Air during the trip -- there must be close to a thousand already stored in iPhoto with another week to go :wall:

The one detour on this month-long road trip took place a week ago when we drove from Copper Center to Chicken, Alaska. It poured rain that Saturday night, and then rained steady all the way during the drive north on Sunday (the first heavy rain we had encountered). There was one section of the Taylor Highway from Tok to Chicken (AKA Top of the World Highway) where water was already running over the road, but we didn't realise how serious the situation was until we arrived in Chicken late that afternoon. The small bridge over Chicken Creek was closed to all traffic as the creek had turned into a raging river, and the water was not far below the underside of the bridge deck. Many vehicles were trapped on the opposite side of the bridge and were unable to turn around and return to the Canada (Yukon) border as there were multiple wash-outs on that all-gravel section of the highway (eventually pedestrian traffic was allowed across the bridge that evening, and the vehicles were allowed across the next morning).

We had a cabin reserved at the Chicken Gold Camp that Sunday night and it was a dramatic stay as the rain drummed on the metal roof with thunder & lightning for added effect (the cabin had no power or plumbing). By morning the Alaska Highway crews were on-site and they told us the road to the border was missing in many spots… the crew we spoke to said it would be a week or more before the road would be passable.

So, instead of driving 180 kilometres to Dawson City on the Monday as originally planned, we had to reverse direction and go back south to the Alaska-Canada Highway and take the long way around to the Klondike Highway near Whitehorse and back up to Dawson… an additional 1,100 kilometres that added 2 days to our travelling.

Departing Chicken that Monday morning we were almost trapped at the same section of road where we encountered the running water on Sunday. A larger section of road was now under water (30 metres or so) and the water was flowing faster (and deeper… it was about 30 cm mid-stream). An RV had gotten too close to the right (uphill) side of the road and the asphalt had collapsed, leaving the RV stuck mid-way through the flooded section and leaning at about a 30-degree angle to the side. Two other RVs were parked in the middle of the road on the dry portion of road, and after confirming with them that help was already enroute, we convinced those RVs to move over a bit so our Escape Hybrid could get by and try the crossing.

The stuck RV had slid far enough right to leave us sufficient room to clear them while still remaining reasonably close to the middle of the stream (the left side of the road where the water dropped down the embankment as a waterfall was already showing significant erosion) and there were also a few "rapids" evident where the pavement had begun to buckle. I was concerned the front end loader that was arriving to pull out the RV would further degrade the road surface and so we proceeded through… slow enough that we were in all-electric mode (for added drama) and I felt the 4WD engage as our FEH moved forward and resisted the water pushing against the passenger side of the vehicle.

I later read in the on-line news that Chicken had 3-1/2 inches of rain in that 24 hours whereas they normally get 10-12 inches per year (and most of that is in the form of snow during the winter). Tragically, crews found a vehicle in the river down a 200 foot embankment at a large wash-out north of Chicken and the driver, a U.S. Customs Officer based in Eagle, Alaska is missing. Other vehicles remain trapped between various wash-outs along the route, and crews are now working to provide temporary openings so these people can get out.

Today we are spending our final night in the Yukon (at Watson Lake) before travelling on the Stewart-Cassiar Highway tomorrow back into British Columbia for the start of our return south.

By the time we get home, we will have over 9,000 kilometres added to the odometer! (Our 2005 FEH is currently averaging 7.2L/100km).

Great memories.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,621 Posts
Happy Birthday to Canada!!!!!!!!!! :wave: :rockon: :wave:

You need a pic of Don Cherry though to complete things.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANADIA!!!

:party: :wave: :party:

·
Super Moderator
16,330 Posts
FRENCHY said:
EH! Happy Canada Day 2015 fellow EC Crazy Canuck :yahoo: :peace:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,621 Posts
Charles said:
Happy Birthday to Canada!!!!!!!!!! :wave: :rockon: :wave:

You need a pic of Don Cherry though to complete things.

What I said last year!!! Happy Canada Day!!!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Happy Canada day. :woohoo: :party:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts