Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few other owners I've spoke with in person had the same complaints but love these trucks otherwise. I've had mine for lil over 3 years now, and shorter trips its fine, but being in it for 3 or more hours, the seats just make our asses hurt.

Ive even thought about replacing the seats bottom cushion but not sure with what. I don't want to replace the whole seat, and i don't want too soft of a cushion that will go flat after little use.

I'm sure anyone here thats traveled long trips experienced the same, so what do you do for long trips to prevent it from happening?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Just this weekend I was at the beach, and our escape drew attention from several other escape owners, and talking with them, they all had the same complaint about the seats. And they brought it up, not me. And a new guy at work, he and his soon to be wife both have mariners and they both say the same too.

It's more or less the tailbone area that gets sore. Adjusting the seat back, and lumbar do little to help. I've taken several other vehicle to the same beach, never had an issue. Even driving my old Camaro from Harrisburg Pa to Myrtle Beach, Being in that car for nearly 12 hours due to many traffic issues, there wasn't a prob either.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
For the most part I find the seats are okay. The seats in my ride don't have a lumbar adjustment but otherwise ride well.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I love the seats, I wish they had a little more bucket style to them. I have an '08 though and I know the the material is thinner in the 1st gen but other then that I think they are the same? :rockon:

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
The leather seats in the 01-04 Escapes are very hard. I tried an 05 Hybrid when they came out and was amazed at how much more comfortable the seats were. My drivers seat is broken in after 8 years of my big arse sitting in it. I've been on a few 4 - 8 hour trips in it and can't say they were the most comfortable seats but I can't say they caused me any major discomfort.

·
Registered
328 Posts
yeah the cloth seats in my 05 xlt are really bad, every trip to the cottage im shifting every 5 minutes towards the end. i called a local upholstry shop they quoted me 700/seat to do them over with better padding, heated pads, and leather. not worth it though in my mind so im still looking for other solutions

·
Registered
280 Posts
Similar boat here in my 02, which has the cloth/vinyl seats. I don't feel extremely sore after long trips, but I would definitely not call the seats comfortable. I don't know if it'd be possible to stuff a bit more padding on there and still have the seat fabric fit.

·
Registered
501 Posts
RobtRoma said:
I've been on a few 4 - 8 hour trips in it and can't say they were the most comfortable seats but I can't say they caused me any major discomfort.
X2...even I took a 14 hour trip...not the greatest True, but not bad.

Breensy said:
yeah the cloth seats in my 05 xlt are really bad, every trip to the cottage im shifting every 5 minutes towards the end. i called a local upholstry shop they quoted me 700/seat to do them over with better padding, heated pads, and leather. not worth it though in my mind so im still looking for other solutions
My Sister in law is really short, she found a way to improve the feel and the height of the seats on her Escape (06), she put a pillow on top of it !!! :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a similar issue with my tailbone, but the best thing you can do on longer trips is stop and take a 10 minute stretch every so often.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I have my seat aligned to a near check-mark sort of fashion, where the lower cushion faces up a little. That might work. I can't say I've had problems with long drives in my car.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I have never experienced, aches and pains on long journeys.
But then it could be, my lambswool seat covers make a difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts