Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have been having this "problem" lately and i was wondering if it was normal or a cause of concern...

When i am driving above 60 in OD it wont climb a steep hill very well at all so i force it to downshift by flooring the gas pedal (as your supposed too) it takes a few seconds (7 to be exact) for it to downshift and when it does it feels like the car in is neutral with the brake depressed slightly for a few seconds, it also will rev under 3k RPM during that time. Sometimes, if it hasnt fully warmed up, it will make a slight "grinding" noise. I dont believe the tranny has ever been serviced and it just clocked over 56,000 miles.
Should i have the tranny flushed or use the write up on here to change the fluid...the fluid is cherry red.

Honestly, my old taurus was better at climbing hills, lol

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
So here is my question for you. How long have you owned the E. After they made the tranny cooler standard on our Escapes early on the tranny problems have pretty much dissapeared. Im thinking that if there was a previous owner they may have abused it in some way, the other possiblity is that they changed the fluid out with the wrong stuff. Our 2001-2008 transmissions are very picky when it comes to the type of fluid. I would do a full flush and put the recommended Mercon V in your tranny. See if that helps. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
What has been described seems to be a typical clutch disks slipping.
Cause of the broblem is either wrong/fatigued tranny fluid or worn disk clutches, without excluding overheated tranny fluid.
The converter looks like working fine.
My first step as suggested by ajc6882 would be to change the tranny oil following the proper procedure and take it from there.
Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have owned it since july...on the dipstick it says to use mercon while the owners manual says to use mercon V...
its a 2007
when i do change the fluid, who it be ok for me to add an extra friction modifier like mr. tranny stop slip or slick 50?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
You can use Mercon V as long as it does not mix with whatever fluid is in the transmission.You can avoid any mix-up if you do the oil change following strictly the manufacturer's procedure.Since it is a little time consuming a lot of commercial places do not do it properly.DIY is the most secure way.
I suspect your transmission has Mercon V inside since it is a 2007 car.
I personally add Lucas tranny conditioner but purely as a precaution for the use I make of the car and not as a remedy or fix.I am not in a position to comment on Mr.Tranny but I would stay light years away from Slick 50.
Good luck and we are here to see what you end up with.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SUVord said:
You can use Mercon V as long as it does not mix with whatever fluid is in the transmission.You can avoid any mix-up if you do the oil change following strictly the manufacturer's procedure.Since it is a little time consuming a lot of commercial places do not do it properly.DIY is the most secure way.
I suspect your transmission has Mercon V inside since it is a 2007 car.
I personally add Lucas tranny conditioner but purely as a precaution for the use I make of the car and not as a remedy or fix.I am not in a position to comment on Mr.Tranny but I would stay light years away from Slick 50.
Good luck and we are here to see what you end up with.
Why stay away from Slick 50?

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
ltlredscape said:
Why stay away from Slick 50?
From an online article I found:

PTFE is a solid which is added to engine oil and coats the moving parts of the engine.

However, such solids seem even more inclined to coat non-moving parts, like oil passages and filters. After all, if it can build up under the pressures and friction exerted on a cylinder wall, then it stands to reason it should build up even better in places with low pressures and virtually no friction.

This conclusion seems to be borne out by tests on oil additives containing PTFE conducted by the NASA Lewis Research Center, which said in their report, "In the types of bearing surface contact we have looked at, we have seen no benefit. In some cases we have seen detrimental effect. The solids in the oil tend to accumulate at inlets and act as a dam, which simply blocks the oil from entering. Instead of helping, it is actually depriving parts of lubricant"

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:
My harsh downshift was caused by "old" fluid. I had the tranny flushed and it solved that problem. still has trouble in reverse though

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
ltlredscape said:
UPDATE:
My harsh downshift was caused by "old" fluid. I had the tranny flushed and it solved that problem. still has trouble in reverse though
Sorry to have missed this post for a while.
1/Why not Slick 50?
Because contrary to general belief teflon does not stick to metal as the "snake oil" producers advertise.It does not stick since it is a fluoride carbon product.All these products do not stick to metal.That is the reason that teflon "coated" cooking-ware were withdrawn from the stores.
2/Reverse problems:I hate to say this but the symptoms you have described point to deteriorated clutch discs, the ones affecting the engagement of reverse.
You probably have noticed already that when cold the reverse engages ok, but after the oil has warmed up the engagement gets more and more difficult.
Eventually you shall be faced with transmission overhaul.
No need to change with new transmission for more than $3500.
Clutch discs are sold in the market, as well as valves and filters. You can have a complete overhaul for about $1500, labour included at any good and respectable transmission shop.
My suggestion is to stay away from any "dealer" if your warranty has expired.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured it would be deteriorated clutch discs...and it does not shift into reverse well when fully warm and when it does it makes a "thump" noise. Dose reverse and first gear use the same set of clutch discs in this tranny?
When parked on an incline, when i put it in a forward gear and let off the break pedal it tens to roll backward until i give it some gas, but i think thats normal for the CD4E tranny.
the escape still has the 6yr/100k mile warranty thank goodness and after that time is over i wont be going back to a dealer. But i dont know how long it would take for the tranny like this to fail.
btw, SUVord, u have really been one of the most knowlegeable ppl on this form...thanks!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Yes,Reverse clutch discs are shared with the 1st gear clutch discs.
On a steep incline it is normal to roll backwards with the tranny at 1st gear.No hill ascent or descent controller present in these trannies.
If I were to postpone the overhaul I would start using some Lucas conditioner in the tranny.
Good luck.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks, i just bought some of that conditioner, how much would u say to use?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Use the full 24oz bottle, after you take off the same amount of oil from the transmission.
It is recommended to use it while changing completely the old transmission fluid with new one.

PS.:The same product works wonder with the rear differential.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts