Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. A friend just had the hatch glass in her 2006 Escape blow out overnight (in the garage). No discernible reason for it, but apparently this is a common problem. Has anyone ever had this issue and is there a recall for it? I have a 2011 and wonder if I should be talking to my dealer about the problem. Thanks for any info

Mike

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Sometimes is the rear defogger that it's not making the right contact and it explodes the window. I had it happen to me on a Malibu I used to have.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Did it "explode"? Or just fall out and shatter? The hardware for mounting the glass to the hinges deteriorates over time in areas that use salt on the roads in winter. The metals corrode and just let go without warning sometimes. If it truly did "explode" out, I've heard of that happening too but don't know the cause.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I've heard about this happening on a few occasions. I'm not sure of the cause. I would think it was a microscopic manufacturing defect or someone hit it just right. I believe the windows are tempered glass. It doesn't take much to get them to shatter if they are hit "just right". Also, tempered glass is know to occasionally break spontaneously. There is even an article on Wikipedia about it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine broke yesterday.......In the garage.
I was closing the tailgate at the time and it shattered into a million pieces, none larger than 1/2 inch or so. (closing the tailgate, not the glass itself which was closed and in fact has only been opened once or twice in its short lifetime)

Escape is only 32 days old, has a total of 1507 miles on it.............

I see some speculate here about the rear defroster etc, well in fact mine has NEVER been turned on so I don't think that is a factor in this case.....Wear on hinges, well as I said its only 32 days old, so no wear or rust.......

Only thing I can see is a flaw in the glass that when subjected to the jar of the tailgate closing caused the glass to shatter....Don't know how I avoided getting any cuts as glass was thrown for several feet........

Dealer picked up the Excape today.....I hope they or more correctly FMC are willing to stand behind their product.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Friend had that happen on a new Exploder, er Explorer back a couple years ago. I have read about it happening to others on Blue Oval News.com and FordTruckEnthusiasts.com. So, it's not common, but it happens. Apparently every one out of ten million or so vehicles made in a year has some issues with the rear window defroster. :(

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
After reading this post and reading onto it more, I am worried that when I turn on my rear defrost BOOM, there goes my back window, but so far so good...(knock on wood), now I probably just jinxed myself :censor: :censor: :wall:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts