Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
i would get the Samsung... i work a best buy on the weekends...
abd by the specs. i think the samsung is better because of the contrast ratio...
Sony 30,000:1 Samsung 50,000:1 that will give you a better picture and more vivid colors...
hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
If the set is going to be positioned where it gets allot of glare I would go with the Sony. :thumb: Reflected images on the screen drives me nuts. :bill: :lightning: I'd rather not watch than deal with glare. ;-|

Another thing to consider is the refresh ratio. I haven't looked into televsions in years, so I haven't the foggiest as to what is the best. :shrug: I just know that if you watch action movies allot, or sports, you need to look into getting the highest numbers for the dollar. :thumb:

This from a guy with a big screen Sony TUBE! :confused: I don't think the new flat panels are there yet. Close, no cigar.

·
Registered
361 Posts
both of the tvs have a refresh ratio of 120Hz... but also make sure you use all the correct HDMI cables and sources...

Also the Samsung has Picture in Picture good feature to watch sports games, and also has usb connections... that the sony lacks...
Other than that both tvs are good choices... you really cant go wrong with either one...
but as stated before sony 30,000:1 contrast ratio, and samsung 50,000:1

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The place i'm geting the sony will drop it to 2699... glare is just the issue and whoever has the best payment plan.

·
Registered
361 Posts
go for it man... both tvs are great... i think right now best buy has a plan for tvs over $1,000.00, 24 months no intrest... i dunno imma have to check it out...

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
HDTV, an insiders view.
As some of you will already know, my job as a coach driver takes me to some interesting venues.
At least once a week I work on the set of "Emmerdale", a soap opera that is set in the Yorkshire Dales and is broadcast 5 nights a week. ( will post pictures of the film set when I get chance)
My wife, who watches the programme, had noticed that the picture on the TV when it's broadcast has got darker over the last few months, I asked a cameraman why this was so.
His reply is because they are unable to film in hdtv for at least another year, so they have cut down on the set lighting, and made the cameras ever so slightly blurred gradually, then will suddenly turn the lighting back on and focus the camera's when the hdtv service is "started" for the programme, as eveything will be pinsharp and bright, and people will think that hdtv is great..
His summary was HDTV is a con!!!!
This is the situation with the ITV network in Great Britain, things may be different over there

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I know that the U.S uses a different system to us over here. But as well as 1080P, the thing to have is 24fps (frames per second). Is this also true in the U.S?

Personally. I'm a Sony fan. All my TVs have been Sony and I've never been disappointed. Here's a pic of mine, but it's "only" a 40". Excuse the pic though, cruddy camera-phone. Also ignore wires & decor. As most of you know I've not long moved in and have not yet decorated. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
Which ever one you decide, shop the hell out of it. TV prices are falling fast. I have to buy about 100 TV's a year and am amazed how far they have come down. Go online put the exact one you want in your search, get the best price and even if you don't buy from the advertiser, chances are someone local will meet the price. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Max just gave you some good advise. Lots of online companies that work out of warehouses, no store fronts, very little brick and mortar...Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It sure does not cost a dime to find out!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 40" Samsung LNS4092D LCD and really like it. SD content is meh, but HD is very nice! My parents have a 42" Toshiba LCD, and although it cost about half my Sammy, the picture is really nice on it as well...Mine has the piano finish, although you gotta watch finger prints, the glare isnt all that bad...but then I guess it depends on what time of room it's going in.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still havent got anything yet. Good thing I didnt jump into it, the sony I want has been droping in price 3,000 and circuit city now has it for under 2500.

·
Registered
361 Posts
thats good... that means that there are new tvs coming in soon...
plus with best buy when u have the extended warranty u get a price lock...
which means if anything happens to ur tv and trun it in, and the price dropped...
u get the difference back or get a tv of the same value... :yahoo:
hopefully this helps u man...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Is it the same over there as over here? There are 2 different types of HD. There's 'HD Ready' which is TVs much like my own, which can accept a 1080i or 720p image. Then there's 'Full HD', which can accept a 1080p image.

Obviously, 'Full HD' is the better of the 2 having the greater number of pixels, but is dearer and may be a step too far if you're not a blu-ray advocate.

Also, Full HD TVs are said to only come into their own in sizes of 40" and above.

I know quite a lot about this stuff, so I can help if needed. Just shout! :thumb:

·
Registered
361 Posts
BC your right on target... :yahoo: take a bow
if your looking to go 40" and above get a 1080p... (so you can get the best image possible)
but smaller than a 40" theres no big diff. between a 720p to a 1080p...

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I was going to order a Toshiba 42" 1080p (Model 42HL167). I can get it for $1,199.99, delivered.

Any pros or cons? Time-Warner has great HD service in our area.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
went and picked up my 40" sony bravia HD. wow its nice!! now i just have to buy a new satellite reciever LoL

1 - 20 of 71 Posts