Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
The thing with dual-filament bulbs like the H13 is that you won't be able to get it too white before going to the strange blue (and lesser quality bulbs). Sylvania makes Silverstars and to me, they are white, but not HID/Xenon white (obviously because they are halogen bulbs). When you start to hit the blue stuff, you start to lose brightness for the sake of appearance. (I also don't think Sylvania makes anything outrageously blue.)

Sylvania advertises that their Silverstars are XX% brighter. They might be slightly brighter, but I don't have tools to calculate the difference. It is definitely noticably more white compared to the fogs at night, in my opinion.

If you go beyond that, you need to start to look at HID kits. Now, this might be a problem because of glare (some people are having issues, others aren't) as the Escape headlight is a reflector headlight as opposed to a projector headlight assembly. If you go the HID route, stick with the 35W kits since 55W kits will just get you into trouble with the law. The way the reflector assembly is designed in the Escape puts most of the light downward and not so much straight out and up in the air (and therefore blinding people looking at your car).

Hope this helps. I put a link for h13s on eBay on your other question.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I have been looking at the H13 silverstars for an upgrade, but was wondering if the silverstar ULTRAS are made in the H13 fit. A lot of people on the net say they exist but are actually confused that there is both a silverstar and a silverstar ULTRA.

·
Registered
679 Posts
get the hids u will love them!!

·
Registered
679 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just did an upgrade on my 2011, very happy with the results for both color and brightness. I opted for the single (low-beam) version as I never use high-beams and have the fog lights if I need them.

Kit was $60 from local ebay seller. No flicker, no fuss, plug and play install.

Comparison of the new 6000k HID and the old halogen.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I would also like to get a brighter light for my Escape. I am not sure if it would be better to get a HID set or just brighter bulbs? Is one better than the other? One easier than the other? I'm not too handy, so I would probably have someone else install them.

Any details would be great.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Stealth87 said:
I would also like to get a brighter light for my Escape. I am not sure if it would be better to get a HID set or just brighter bulbs? Is one better than the other? One easier than the other? I'm not too handy, so I would probably have someone else install them.

Any details would be great.
I kind of hijacked this thread as the OP was after a bulb replacement, whereas I did an HID kit.

A bulb swap takes no effort or skill, if you can screw in a light bulb you can change the ones in your Escape. The HID install on the other hand requires some basic knowledge of the electrical/lighting system. A good kit will be plug-and-play. A not so good kit can have you hunting for additional parts or places to splice wires etc. Shop cautiously.

The above said, I can't believe I lived without HID for so long. It is unreal how clear and bright it is. To think I was about to pay 60 bucks for a pair of cheap-looking aftermarket halogen bulbs from my local automotive store when instead I got an entire HID kit for the same price!!

I feel safer and look cooler. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
molanojuan said:
:thumb: Nice! the stock ones are to yellow...

Can you show a pic at night?
I only had my little point and shoot camera, sorry I couldn't get nice big noise free shots, however, these are color balanced like the previous one was - if your monitor is balanced you see the real deal. Shows how intense the middle is and how wide the sides go, without creeping into the mirrors or windshields of other cars (annoying and dangerous).

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
That's not bad at all. As more and more Escape owners install HIDs, I'm slowly getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger for myself. I would probably stay around the OEM 4300K or go 5000k tops. I already have a blue car... blue car, blue lights? No thanks. :lol: I always felt like the reflector assembly inside the Escape's headlights were ideal for HIDs though... I mean, the first HID-equipped Mustangs used reflectors, as did the assemblies in the Montegos.

I would opt for the bi-xenon kit though. $135-$150 local

Also, I wouldn't call Sylvania Silverstars "cheap $60 halogen bulbs"... I'd never pay full price for a pair, but they do their job as expected.

·
Registered
679 Posts
4300-500k are hard to find 6000k are the ones to go with nice bright white lights. Will never go back to normal bulbs again!

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Dang, you're probably right. The local store/distributor of xenon bulbs and kits only have the 4300k and 6000k (well, they also have 3k, 8k, and 10k)... time to be picky again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.