Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the cheapest place to get 05-07 headlights. Looking on eBay but I don't really want to go aftermarket... would rather stick with OEM.

I also want someone ELSE to install these so they are done right. How much would I be looking at to get this job done?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm not sure why, but almost everyone charges a FORTUNE for OEM '05 headlights. Most I found were around $150 for EACH. I haven't had a single problem with my Depo headlights, and my installers didn't mention any troubles, so they're definately your best bet at $200 for both.

·
Registered
285 Posts
jhande08 said:
Where is the cheapest place to get 05-07 headlights. Looking on eBay but I don't really want to go aftermarket... would rather stick with OEM.

I also want someone ELSE to install these so they are done right. How much would I be looking at to get this job done?
Dude, seriously. I did somewhat of a write up in here for you to do it pretty spot on. Heck, if you would like, I could walk you through it. Its not hard at all! Also, I bought mine used off of Ebay and didnt have any problems with them. Just trying to save you some serious money here. I spent MAYBE $140 total and that is with some nice lights and NO scratchs on them.

...well..the scratches that are in there now are from me in the bush.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My worry, 02escape, is the front bumper. How do I get it off easily?

·
Registered
285 Posts
jhande08 said:
My worry, 02escape, is the front bumper. How do I get it off easily?
Its fairly easy actually. You will just need some basic hand tools. There are around about 16 bolts total. There are two up top a few of them down below and then in each wheel well there are a few. You just need a friend there to help you pull it off so it doesnt get scratched.

·
Registered
38 Posts
does anyone have any before and after pics of this??

also, do i need to do this if I want to install some HIDs??

thanks,
sam

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Here's a how-to:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=879

And if you only want to add HID to your '01, it's easier than changing the headlamp assemblies. The 2001-2004 models use a #9003 headlamp.

Since the 9003 is a dual-beam bulb, HID retrofits have either a motor to move the reflector, or a second quartz-halogen bulb for the high-beam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

I too plan on purchasing a pair of 2005 headlights for my 2004 Escape.

Do I need any sort of wiring kit or anything else to accomodate the conversion?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!

I'll publish a circuit modification this week.

There are several important changes that need to be done to get the 2005-2007 headlamps to operate on a 2001-2004 Escape:

1) 2001-2004 Escapes light either the low-beam or high-beam filaments, but not both, with the factory wiring.

2) 2005-2007 Escapes light the low-beams any time the headlamps are on, even with the high-beams. This allowed Ford to make the high-beams more powerful (with a longer and narrower beam), so the low-beams remain lit to compensate for the area in front of the car that's not lighted by the high-beams. If you just wire the 2005-2007 low-beams and high-beams with the same wiring as in a 2001-2004 model, you'll be amazed how much you won't see directly in front of you.

3) You can't simply add a relay to the high-beams on a 2001-2004 Escape and operate the low-beams in parallel from the relay contacts. The high-beam indicator won't light with that circuit, since it's wired in series with the low-beam lamps, and you may cause other problems in the electrical system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone ever come up with the necessary circuit mod to allow the 2006 headlights to fully funtion on the 2001-2002 escapes?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Alrighty, here's a circuit that will light the low beams with the high beams on 2001-2004 models using the 2005-2007 headlamp assemblies.

Warning: This circuit cannot be used if your 2001-2004 Escape, Tribute, or Maverick uses any type of daytime running lamp circuit or module.

The relay is a Potter & Brumfield DPST 12V relay, available for $9.84 from Digi-Key: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... e=PB486-ND

This relay is sealed, and the lugs can be soldered. You can also mount this relay under the hood near the driver-side headlamp, and run the high beam indicator wire (the green wire in the diagram) to the instrument cluster along the main harness leading into the instument panel area. The black wire is the ground wire, and it must be securely connected to a reliable ground, since it provides the ground side of the wiring for the low beams when the high beams are on.

Here's the diagram:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... ingmod.jpg

You'll need to cut the LIGHT GREEN with BLACK STRIPE wire leading to the C220A connector on the instrument cluster, then connect the wire shown in the diagram to the wire leading to the instrument cluster connector. The other end of the cut wire must be covered and secured in the harness.

Obviously, make sure that the wiring is done exactly as shown. Do not use high-wattage headlamp bulbs, because the headlamp wiring will need to be replaced with heavier wiring, and because the factory headlamp relay may not be able to handle the extra current (which may cause the relay contacts to "weld" closed). Use standard H11 (low) and H7 (high) lamps in the 2005-2007 headlamp assemblies.

This circuit will keep the high-beam indicator and fog lamps working correctly.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Jpark.

Just wanted to thank you for all your help in the electronics area. You've helped me out many times. This has solved an issue that has bothered me for a long time. I hated that when the highbeams were on there was no indicator light. Just one question. this relay must switch from pole with the green line to the grounded pole when the highbeams are switched on. correct? Could you draw a diagram of the relay circuit? I always try to understand what im doing.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'll try to get a diagram up here tomorrow.

But I already see where you're going here. Rotate how you think the poles are set up 90 degrees, then it will make sense! The pole on the far side switches the high beam indicator to the red +12V supply. The pole on the near side supplies ground to the low beams when the high beams are on.

Basically, the 2001-2004 Escape had the high beam indicator wired in series with the headlamp low beam filaments, so that when the main headlamp relay was on and the high beams were on, the high beam indicator lit up. And the fog lamp relay was wired in series with the headlamp high beam filaments, so that it couldn't work with the high beams on.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
So I would have to run the wire through the firewall in order to do this correctly or is there access to the high beam indicator in the engine compartment? Ohh Jpark I found the relay circuit diagram on the link you provided. So dont worry about getting it to me. I understand how it works now.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:doh:

And I didn't have the time that morning for the diagram! Sorry!

No, even the splice with the wire from the switch is inside, and you'll need to cut the wire leading to the cluster, so you still need to run that wire inside to the instrument panel connector.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Are you refering to the blue line/wire you drew in the diagram when you speak of the splice off the switch? I should be able to get access to the the (rd/blk) wire (tapping into it with Blue) from the switch from under the dash and the indicator wire should be right before the cluster harness. Do you know at what harnesses I could find the other wires? Im assuming the orange and red lines are right at the left headlamp harness. Just want this to be a quick install so my wife doesn't yell at me. She always wonders what I'm doing to my Escape.

·
Registered
66 Posts
jpark u say ull be amazed on what u dont see in front of you , soo are u sort of suggesting against this mod. its an obvious cosmetic upgrade but you do not like the way it perfoms on low beam, am i right?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
No, just the opposite. Ford designed the 2005-2007 high beams to project much more light further down the road (with a narrower beam), at the expense of light immediately in front of the car. That's why they chose to keep the low beams on with the high beams. If you don't light the low beams with the high beams using the 2005-2007 headlamps, you'll see what I mean.

The 2005-2007 headlamps were an improvement over the 2001-2004 headlamps.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Here is a image of the new relay all hooked up. It worked out great and its very easy to do. Well I have had the 05 headlights for over two years now but with the old set up. lol so for me it was pretty much just running a wire from the highbeam indicator and switching to the new relay. Thanks Jpark!!! You have helped me out a whole bunch.
This is the relay.

This is the connector with the LG/BK wire. Its the LG/BK wire thats furthest to the left in my picture. Its 4 pins from the left of the connector.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts