Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if I am idling, doesnt matter if its hot or cold, I have no headlights on, no radio but my door open so my interior lights are on. The interior light flickers for a quick second every few seconds. Then if I have no lights on inside the car or radio, but have the headlights on, you can see them do the same thing. Sitting there they get bright for a quick second (less than a read second) and that happens every few seconds, 3-5 seconds. Does this sound like a alternator? its a 2005 xls 2.3L with 110k miles on it, so imo its near time to replace it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nothing huh?

Well I went to the ford dealer yesterday, a Ford Alternator is $295 :/ I do hear they are better made than the remanufacture units but dang that is a big chunk of change. Oh just checked and napa has Bosch remanf. for $264.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Take you vehicle to an autozone if you have one within your area and they can test your alternator in the vehicle. Besides, does your battery warning light comes on? If you have a charging system flaw, the indicator lamp should be blinking persistently or remain constantly on. Btw if you amps fall below 11 while the vehicle is operating you alternator is bad and that should be a fun fix. No more than an hour to remove cv joint on passenger and install a new alternator.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Escapeclean said:
Take you vehicle to an autozone if you have one within your area and they can test your alternator in the vehicle. Besides, does your battery warning light comes on? If you have a charging system flaw, the indicator lamp should be blinking persistently or remain constantly on. Btw if you amps fall below 11 while the vehicle is operating you alternator is bad and that should be a fun fix. No more than an hour to remove cv joint on passenger and install a new alternator.
I do have a few auto shops around like that. I'll have to pull it out on some weekend and bring it down. I have a 2.3L though so the alternator looks to be easily accessible on the back side of the engine. There is no warning light on for it either. I still need to throw a multimeter on it but I've been quiet busy. When I return from my trip this week at E3 I'll do that and report back.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't had time to test the alternator. But I was going to replace it as I'd rather not be stranded and all my previous fords alternators went around 130k. Whats everyone's opinions on which to buy (2.3L auto)?

Ford dealer wants $320 for oem rebuild w/ core exchange.
napa and other auto part stores want $250-280
I think theres a rebuild shop by my work that can do it from $150-200.

I cant seem to find any new ones...I don't mind paying the $320 to ford for a good rebuild one as I dont really trust a rebuild one from a parts store like napa or autozone for lasting too long.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is just my personal opinion, but have it done at the Ford dealer. That way, if the service doesn't fix the problem, you are [or should be] covered under the dealer warranty for the specific repair. Which means that when you notice the issue after you spend the money, you can take the Escape back and ask them to revisit their work.

·
Registered
197 Posts
sleeve said:
This is just my personal opinion, but have it done at the Ford dealer. That way, if the service doesn't fix the problem, you are [or should be] covered under the dealer warranty for the specific repair. Which means that when you notice the issue after you spend the money, you can take the Escape back and ask them to revisit their work.
I think that only applies if they diagnose it as the alternator being faulty. If you bring it in and say "replace my alternator", you will not be able to bring it back and complain that it didn't fix it because they didn't diagnose it, they did what you asked them to do.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya the alternator works...I think its the voltage regulator thats bad. I just want the entire unit replaced for the sake of not being stuck at the road side.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well that is why you'd take it to the dealer. When you drop it off and say replace "this" they'll put it down on the work order. Then later, the dealer calls you and says we really diagnosed it to this... And we recommend changing this... Which most of the time is not what you originally thought it was.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dealer is going to charge an insane amount for labor and I went to the dealer to ask about the part. All they can get is a re-manufactured motorcraft (oem). I can do it myself just was wondering what was the general consensus was for buying a "new" alternator as I cannot find a brand new one. I have a 2.3L so the alternator is just on the back of the engine near the exhaust manifold...I hear the v6 sucks really bad to replace. My dad has a v6...hahha I'll probably have to change his in a few years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts