Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my 2001 Ford Escape 3.0L V6. I bought it without a working engine. The old engine had a brand new alternator on it. When I had the shop replace the engine, they took the alternator off the broken engine and installed it on the new engine. When I picked it up at the shop and was driving it home, I noticed that the headlights were dimming, then going bright, then dimming etc. and the battery light ont he dash was doing the same thing in time with the lights. All electrical in the car was doing the same thing fan, dome lights etc. The engine was running great however. I got home, checked the voltage going to the battery and it was all over the map. Figured the regulator was out of the alternator so I replaced the alternator with yet another brand new one. To my suprise, it was still doing the same thing so I replace the battery with a new one....still same problem. When I start it in the morning, it does the same thing everyday, after driving it for 5 to 10 minutes, the battery light and electrical stop pulsing. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this problem?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Alternator?

Never mind, I somehow missed it reading through your article twice. Jpark is the man for this kind of thing. Let's see if he catches this thread...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was talking to buddy of mine and he suggested a GEM module??? How would I go about diagnosing which one it would be?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Actually, take a look at the wiring harnesses near the master cylinder and along the driver-side fender. 2001 Escapes were recalled for burned and/or shorted wiring near the ABS module, and I've heard a few people say that the recall fixed all sorts of electrical weirdness.

If any of that wiring appears burned or frayed, take your Escape to the dealer and ask them to perform recall 07V156000.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... mmary=true

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, brought it into the Ford Dealer, they put the computer on it, tested out the battery and told me it was the alternator so I am putting in alternator #3. Hopefully DNS armatures just got a bad batch of regulators or brushes.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Yea... hopefully that fixes it... Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out it was the alternator......DNS armatures found a Ford Core and built the new alternator from that one......works perfect but forgot to plug the daytime running lights back in when I checked the GEM module.....oops....all fixed thanks for everyone's help!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts