Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in my truck tonight and started driving. Then at a stoplight I noticed my headlights were flickering in the back of the car in front of me. I couldn't tell if they did it while I was moving, but could notice it every time I stopped. Any ideas what may cause this? I plan on installing an HID kit this weekend... but want to fix this before doing so.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Flickering rapidly with movement of your own vehicle, maybe motor vibration? That indicates a loose connection and the question is where. Are both bulbs flickering together? If so, look around the headlight relay first. If only one flickers, look in its wiring. Could even be the headlight switch.

If the flicker even when you're standing totally still with the engine off, then something weird is happening... tell us more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looked they were both flickering. Just started too, did not seem to be doing it until today. Have not changed anything on the truck or hit any pot holes that would jar something loose. If its a loose wire, would that be remedied when I install the new kit?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Loose wires/connections are a good place to start, but headlight flicker at idle can be an indication of a failing/faulty battery, alternator, or voltage regulator. Does the flickering go away or improve if you increase the RPM's? If so, you may want to get the charging system checked out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
MassAppeal16 said:
... I plan on installing an HID kit this weekend....
You probably don't give a sh!!t, but most HID "kits" are illegal. You can get a ticket. Too bad more municipalities don't enforce it.
HID "kits" retrofitted to halogen headlight assemblies produce a large amount of glare & can blind oncoming drivers. It's within the realm of possibility that you could be held responsible for an accident caused by your headlights.

HID lamps produce UV-radiation that can harm the human eye.
Stock HID headlamp assemblies have a lens that blocks/absorbs the harmful radiation. HID kits don't.
HID lamps produce a different beam pattern, so a standard headlight assembly is unsuitable for them.
The high intensity light is produced by an electronic arc, instead of a filament such as in a halogen lamp.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
2005 and newer Escapes use solid state controls for the headlights (the Smart Junction Box), and Ford actually pulses the headlights instead of providing a continuous +12V of power to them (this improves their lifespan). The headlight switch has little to do with the headlights, other than providing a logic-level input to tell the SJB to turn them on and off.

Have a dealer check the SJB.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2013 Escape SE 2.0.Mine is doing the same thing but its all the lights(interior and exterior) like the battery doesn't have enough water in it. I took a video of it to show the dealer but they couldn't duplicate it. They said all was normal.I have to bring it in when it happens but I use my lights at night not during the day. It happened the other night a quick restart at a red light solved it. Even when put in neutral or giving the engine some gas doesn't stop it like a weak battery or alternator would. It continues to flicker.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Turboboiti said:
I have a 2013 Escape SE 2.0.Mine is doing the same thing but its all the lights(interior and exterior) like the battery doesn't have enough water in it. I took a video of it to show the dealer but they couldn't duplicate it. They said all was normal.I have to bring it in when it happens but I use my lights at night not during the day. It happened the other night a quick restart at a red light solved it. Even when put in neutral or giving the engine some gas doesn't stop it like a weak battery or alternator would. It continues to flicker.
Hi Turboboiti,

I'm happy to escalate your case to your region's customer service manager. To get started, just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest!

Thanks,

Crystal

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have been meaning to update everyone on this.. I brought my Escape back to the dealer after Ford Customer Service talked to the dealer.. they kept it for about 5 days and it did the flicker when they had it.. I dunno what they did before they decided to replace the battery but that seems to have solved it.. I was waiting for the temp to drop again to be sure it wouldn't do it again..but so far so good.. so hopefully its just the battery needing replacement..

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Turboboiti said:
I have been meaning to update everyone on this.. I brought my Escape back to the dealer after Ford Customer Service talked to the dealer.. they kept it for about 5 days and it did the flicker when they had it.. I dunno what they did before they decided to replace the battery but that seems to have solved it.. I was waiting for the temp to drop again to be sure it wouldn't do it again..but so far so good.. so hopefully its just the battery needing replacement..
Thanks for the update, Turboboiti! If you have any future questions or concerns, just let me know.

Crystal

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not yet.. I emailed the Service manager he seemed pretty good with emailing back, but hasn't.. he may be waiting for me to report back to him if its still happening.. I had just hoped the battery was bad and the replacement took care of it.. shrug.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts