Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
And of course after having my Escape 6 days they couldn't find anything on why the headlights pulse.. I know it wasn't doing it when I brought it in which doesn't help but its done it twice too many times.. Very Irritated they couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Apparently the flicker happens when the battery has been drained.. I was installing LED fog lights and LED parking lights in the front and had the lights on during the install. Everyone should know how much of a pain in the *** it is to get to the fog and parking lights..(HOW IN THE HELL FORD DESIGNED THE FOG/PARKING/TURN LIGHTS IN THIS MANNER IS BEYOND ME. They should have made the Low Beams Hi/Low and the rest the turn signal and the Fogs stand alone. I couldn't even reach the turn signal lights if I wanted to but the install took a while and had the lights on and off, etc. Once I was done a friend came over and I washed their truck. My friend was sitting in the back back of the Escape with the back door open and the parking lights were on cause apparently they stay on and eventually turn off at some point.

When I went to leave my folks the Escape threw up an error saying Hill Assist Not Avail when I started it and I knew the lights would be flickering.. when I got home of course they were. So now a low battery after that kind of draining having to be recharged causes the lights to flicker until the battery is recharged..Is what I am guessing..anyone else have any ideas? It almost sounds like the Alternator isn't strong enough or it has an issue.

Of course now the dealer will say oh well you installed LED's that's why they flicker, blah blah blah blah blah etc.. altho a 30k vehicle that can't handle a low freaking battery is quite stupid since my old 1963 Ford Step-side pick up truck with a alternator could, my Merkur Scorpio, Dodge Neon, Ford Contour, Ford Taurus, Dodge Dakota, Nissan Maxima, Chevy Cobalt, and Chevy Impala could handle just fine.. Nary a flicker unless the battery was low on water.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do the lights actually go off and back on, or do they just go dim and bright? If it's just dimming and brightening happenning, I would say that the regulator is opennig and closing. That allows the alternator to charge or not. When it's charging, the lights have more juice and when not charging, the lights are just pulling juice from the battery. If the car will run with the alternator unplugged, see if you flickering still exists. gregjo1948

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nope. They flicker just like the video.. the only time I have noticed that type of flickering or pulsing is when the battery would be low on water..I am sure the batteries are maint free and its already been replaced at 3k miles. The pulsing is in tune with the engine. The battery had a drain on it for a few hours and they were pulsing.. I know what you mean if the lights are on and you give the engine some gas the lights get brighter.. nope at idle they "twinkle" just like twinkling christmas lights..

Guess Ford isnt interested anymore in helping.

gregjo1948 said:
Do the lights actually go off and back on, or do they just go dim and bright? If it's just dimming and brightening happenning, I would say that the regulator is opennig and closing. That allows the alternator to charge or not. When it's charging, the lights have more juice and when not charging, the lights are just pulling juice from the battery. If the car will run with the alternator unplugged, see if you flickering still exists. gregjo1948

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Turboboiti said:
Nope. They flicker just like the video.. the only time I have noticed that type of flickering or pulsing is when the battery would be low on water..I am sure the batteries are maint free and its already been replaced at 3k miles.

Guess Ford isnt interested anymore in helping.
Hey turboboiti,

I'm interested in helping. Have you been to your dealer for this recently (we last spoke around the 14th of February)?

Todd

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Todd .. it was Jan 23 ish or so haha time files.. I had an appt with the dealer for Jan 28th but New Orleans shut down for an ice storm.... so it went in the week after that on March 4th they kept it for 5-6 days and couldn't get it to happen. This past Saturday I got it to happen after having the lights on for about 1-3 hours(on purpose) and when I got home they were flickering but the dealer was already closed.. When the battery gets low could the alternator having issues charging a low battery and keeping the lights from flickering?
I know the service advisor said he was going to send the paper work to Tina but I don't know if he did. I had emailed the Service Manager about the new quad screen update and about the sun visor messing up again but haven't heard back from him.

Thanks

Hey turboboiti,

I'm interested in helping. Have you been to your dealer for this recently (we last spoke around the 14th of February)?

Todd[/quote]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Todd one more thing.. when I got in my Escape and cranked it up to leave my folks the Hill Start Assist Not Available error came up for a few seconds then went off.. The first time this happened at 3k The hill start assist not avail error, back door ajar, and the power door locks locked and unlocked.. all of it didnt happen just the Hill Assist not avail error.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Turboboiti said:
Todd one more thing.. when I got in my Escape and cranked it up to leave my folks the Hill Start Assist Not Available error came up for a few seconds then went off.. The first time this happened at 3k The hill start assist not avail error, back door ajar, and the power door locks locked and unlocked.. all of it didnt happen just the Hill Assist not avail error.
I'd like to reach out to your CSM and have them contact you. Please send me a PM with your current mileage and preferred dealership. :)

Todd

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turboboiti said:
I have a 2013 Escape SE 2.0.Mine is doing the same thing but its all the lights(interior and exterior) like the battery doesn't have enough water in it. I took a video of it to show the dealer but they couldn't duplicate it. They said all was normal.I have to bring it in when it happens but I use my lights at night not during the day. It happened the other night a quick restart at a red light solved it. Even when put in neutral or giving the engine some gas doesn't stop it like a weak battery or alternator would. It continues to flicker.
I have the same year, but Titanium 2.0 with same issue. Did you ever find out what caused the flickering?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I saw that happen on mine when the battery was still good but getting old. The alternator is driven on-off by a field control signal generated by the ECU, and a voltage feedback line is measured by an ECU input. (apparently to reach a better mileage.) As the battery gets older the internal equivalent resistor gets a higher value, that makes its voltage to have a wider difference between the charge-on and charge-off states. The ECU thinks it is charged as soon as it puts the charge on, making the on-off cycle accelerate. Enough to perceive a flicker in just every incandescent light of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You probably don't give a sh!!t, but most HID "kits" are illegal. You can get a ticket. Too bad more municipalities don't enforce it.
HID "kits" retrofitted to halogen headlight assemblies produce a large amount of glare & can blind oncoming drivers. It's within the realm of possibility that you could be held responsible for an accident caused by your headlights.

HID lamps produce UV-radiation that can harm the human eye.
Stock HID headlamp assemblies have a lens that blocks/absorbs the harmful radiation. HID kits don't.
HID lamps produce a different beam pattern, so a standard headlight assembly is unsuitable for them.
The high intensity light is produced by an electronic arc, instead of a filament such as in a halogen

·
Registered
2 Posts
You probably don't give a sh!!t, but most HID "kits" are illegal. You can get a ticket. Too bad more municipalities don't enforce it.
HID "kits" retrofitted to halogen headlight assemblies produce a large amount of glare & can blind oncoming drivers. It's within the realm of possibility that you could be held responsible for an accident caused by your headlights.

HID lamps produce UV-radiation that can harm the human eye.
Stock HID headlamp assemblies have a lens that blocks/absorbs the harmful radiation. HID kits don't.
HID lamps produce a different beam pattern, so a standard headlight assembly is unsuitable for them.
The high intensity light is produced by an electronic arc, instead of a filament such as in a halogen lamp.
You're nasty arse
Get a life

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
SHO, he probably has some aftermarket bulbs installed and doesn't want to feel guilty for blinding oncoming drivers.

Wish I could use an aimed reflector(not my light output) to reflect back to those that drive with fog lights on all the time, especially at night on two-lane roads. I don't think they are aware that their lights are so bright and diffused.

I read the whole chain, and would have suggested checking battery voltage as flickering at idle to me points to minimal alternator output having trouble charging and running the lights, but I wasn't around...
tom

21 - 36 of 36 Posts