Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My escape has the light sensor in the top of the dash, can that also work if i change the switch to turn on the lamps automatically??

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'm confused as to what you are asking; are you trying to add auto-headlights to your Escape?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Might be the $35 dollar switch all over eBay

·
Registered
439 Posts
Admiral Michael said:
Would there be any chance that auto headlights could be added to a 2006 escape?
I have the auto on my 03.The lights are activated by the sensor that is in the rear view mirror.I think you can add this option and make it work but it will take some work.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
2005-2007 models with automatic headlamps were entirely different from both 2001-2004 and 2008+ E/M/Ts.

To add automatic headlamps to a 2005-2007 E/M/T, you'll need to replace the turn signal/headlamp switch on the steering column, as well as add the factory light sensor to the top left corner of the instrument panel (the mirror was used only on 2004 and earlier E/M/Ts). And if you don't have an empty 3-pin connector under the inside top left corner of the instrument panel, you'll need to replace the 14401 wiring harness, or hard-wire the sensor to ground and to the SJB.

Here's the wiring diagram for a 2007 E/M/T:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... dlamps.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
I will take a look for that connector. What's a good place to look for the parts needed? I have a feeling they will be $$. I will have to check a scrap yard at one point but what's a good site to look at?

EDIT: BTW, where is the SJB located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 Mercury Mariner Base. I just purchased a Auto Lamp Switch on E-Bay for $5.00 (woo hoo). If you have the sun sensor on the center/top of your dash, and your dash lights automatically go from bright (in bright sunlight) to dim (in darker conditions), you can switch out your manual headlight switch to auto light switch. Pop the panel on the side of the dash (driver's door side) and reach behind and PINCH inward the two side metal clasps that hold the switch in the dash. DON'T PRESS TOO HARD OR FORCE THE SWITCH OUT or you will bend the clips (VERY EASY TO BEND). Gently push the switch forward out of the dash while pressing in the metal clips. Unplug the old switch, plug in the AUTOLAMP switch....gently push back into the dash opening until it clicks in place. Turn the light switch to the auto position. Turn the key to on, cover the sensor on top of the dash, and the lights should come on. Turn off the ignition, and take out the keys and then watch the headlights. They should go off in 10-180 seconds. You now have auto headlamps.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
And once you add automatic headlamps to a 2008+ E/M/T, you can adjust the length of the time-off delay (this is from the 2010 owner's manual):

Autolamp delay system (if equipped)
If your vehicle is equipped with autolamps, you can set the delay time to keep the headlights on for up to three minutes after the key is turned off. The delay time is set to 20 seconds at the factory, but the delay time may be changed by following the steps below (Steps 1 through 6 must be done within 10 seconds):
1. Turn the key to the off position.
2. Rotate the headlamp control to the autolamp position.
3. Rotate the headlamp control to the off position.
4. Turn the key to the on position.
5. Turn the key back to the off position.
6. Turn the headlamp control to the autolamp position (the headlights should turn on).
7. Turn the headlamp control to the off position when the desired delay time (up to three minutes) has been reached.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Strange. I thought it was done through the car's computer/dashboard, but this sounds like for one without the message center.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Exactly. If you already have autolamps and the message center, you can use either method.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I'll tell you what I wish my Escape could do.... my mom's MKX (when she still had it) and the Mustang I think we still have back in Michigan would go onto full brightness with the rear brake lights before dimming to the low brightness typically seen with remote unlocking. The same goes for the front amber flashers... full beam and then to low beam. That would be kind of cool to have, although its purpose is beyond me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts